PDA

View Full Version : Revelations From The Memphis Mafia

samcats
09-07-2007, 10:41 PM
Sorry if this has been posted before, i just couldnt see it.
What do you think of the book?
Is it worth reading?
Opinions please.....

Getlo
09-07-2007, 10:49 PM
It's okay.

It's too long though, and is taken directly from taped conversations with the MM.

Some fans will automatically poo-poo it because it's from the MM, but these blinkered fans therefore miss out on a more rounded portrayal of the man and his life.

There are some good stories, some bad, some in between. It doesn't exactly add much of anything to the story though.

But ... just like What Happened and, yes, even the Goldman book! ... there are truths to be found among the dross.

If you can pick up a cheap, second-hand copy, grab it.

King_Creole
09-07-2007, 11:04 PM
It's okay.

It's too long though, and is taken directly from taped conversations with the MM.

Some fans will automatically poo-poo it because it's from the MM, but these blinkered fans therefore miss out on a more rounded portrayal of the man and his life.

There are some good stories, some bad, some in between. It doesn't exactly add much of anything to the story though.

But ... just like What Happened and, yes, even the Goldman book! ... there are truths to be found amonng the dross.

If you can pick up a cheap, second-hand copy, grab it.

Very true statement if I've ever read one concerning this book and the Memphis Mafia ...

I recently saw the paperback version in a Books A Million book store for just about ($)10 American dollars.

IMHO, worth it.

TurnpikeTaylor
09-08-2007, 12:56 PM
One of the best books on Elvis out there, though Elvis does`nt exactly come out of it looking that good. I`ve read this book several times, and i always end up wondering why these guys stayed around E at all if he was as demanding and maniplitive as they say. I have never understood why Lamar Fike put up with the "fatty" insults for 20 years. Then again, maybe thats very naive of me.

supertwangreverb
09-08-2007, 01:10 PM
It's my favorite Elvis book. I've read it about 50 times now. Sure they make E look bad sometimes, but for the most part they give reasons why E may have acted in a manner that some people don't like to read about, or just flatly refuse to believe E would do. Billy Smith seems to geniunly love his cousin so I don't think there are too many lies in it. They do some debunking of the Goldman book, which I hate, even though Lamar Fike did some work on, and they are always negative towards Cilla, which I have absolutly no problem with whatsoever.

Tony Trout
09-08-2007, 01:43 PM
I've read the book many times (yes, as others have said on here) there is sometimes a little too much info they reveal 'bout Elvis but I think it gives me a better perspective of Elvis as a human being.

Miss Clawdy
09-08-2007, 03:03 PM
Please, does anybody know if "Elvis and the Memphis Mafia" is the re-issue of "Revelations from the MM"?

Diane
09-08-2007, 03:07 PM
Yes it is Tina..........Diane

Miss Clawdy
09-08-2007, 03:10 PM
Thank you very much Diane:D

ksimms2
09-08-2007, 03:12 PM
thanks guys for posting these reviews, I want to get these books...I'm already expecting a few now in the mail.

Diane
09-08-2007, 03:45 PM
You're very welcome Tina.:)

Diane

Merry
09-08-2007, 03:51 PM
It's okay.

Were you here Getlo, under another name? :hmm:

You know, I read this book.

They contradicted each other all the way through (telling) and it was all about them, justifying themselves (telling). People who are fans of the MM, I'll never forget it, one comment from a fan on AEK "That is what is great about the book, they contradict each other" .......grrrrrr :supriced:

I have an adjective, shall keep it to myself.

Kim

Merry
09-08-2007, 03:58 PM
i always end up wondering why these guys stayed around E at all if he was as demanding and maniplitive as they say.

You see, this is where your instincts come into play, Turnpike Taylor.

Because they are justifying themselves, and not telling stories through a person sitting back observing, but putting their own life history into their outlooks, and JUSTIFYING themselves (as I said), that is why, what you say, stands out like a sore thumb, to you, in my opinion. "I always end up wondering why these guys stayed around E at all if he was as demanding and manipulative as they say"

They shot themselves in the foot, (in my opinion) you picked it up! (y)

Kim

rocknroll
09-08-2007, 06:07 PM
When I read this I got the feeling the members of the MM were trying to out do each other to prove who Elvis liked the most. 30 years after his death, they are still in competition. Good read otherwise with some interesting info.

The King's Queen
09-08-2007, 06:21 PM
You see, this is where your instincts come into play, Turnpike Taylor.

Because they are justifying themselves, and not telling stories through a person sitting back observing, but putting their own life history into their outlooks, and JUSTIFYING themselves (as I said), that is why, what you say, stands out like a sore thumb, to you, in my opinion. "I always end up wondering why these guys stayed around E at all if he was as demanding and manipulative as they say"

They shot themselves in the foot, (in my opinion) you picked it up! (y)

Kim

In total agreement my friend!! :!: (y) If you give them enough rope...they hang their own selves!

When I read this I got the feeling the members of the MM were trying to out do each other to prove who Elvis liked the most. 30 years after his death, they are still in competition. Good read otherwise with some interesting info.

Agreed rocknroll (y)...they still act as if it is a competition. Wonder if the phrase "grow up" has ever entered their minds???:blink:

Merry
09-08-2007, 06:22 PM

I agree with you, I call it: "Empire Building".

They still do it, take cheap shots at each other. (Sorry folks, I won't say any more. It is just that it is sooooooooo wrong!).

Kim

The King's Queen
09-08-2007, 06:30 PM
Kimmi, don't you apologize for stating your opinions...that is why we are here! And I'm sure that there are many here who agree with you. I know I DO! (y) :king:

Hugs....:hug:

presley31
09-08-2007, 06:41 PM
l don't like the mm, elvis was better off without them using and abusing him.

rocknroll
09-08-2007, 08:20 PM
Something I've always wondered:

Was Vernon considered a member of the Memphis Mafia? Thoughts?

The King's Queen
09-08-2007, 08:51 PM

:hmm: rocknroll...this is a good question! I think that when Vernon married Dee, things changed between he and Elvis. They always loved each other, but there was a strain there between them. IMO, I wouldn't consider Vernon part of the MM. I think Vernon was standing in the shadows most of the time...trying to figure out how to control an uncontrollable situation WITH the MM. I think it is fair to say that there was "no love lost" between Vernon and many of the MM. Just my thoughts on it...

Merry
09-08-2007, 08:51 PM

Weeeeeellllll,

From my impressions from Marty Lacker, reading AEK, the "MM" that would have been who he likes, who doesn't correct what he says, and who he considered were "MM", because they were there when he was there (no-one after). (So of course, that would be the definition, according to that person).

:D
Kim

Merry
09-08-2007, 09:01 PM
:hmm: rocknroll...this is a good question! I think that when Vernon married Dee, things changed between he and Elvis. They always loved each other, but there was a strain there between them. IMO, I wouldn't consider Vernon part of the MM. I think Vernon was standing in the shadows most of the time...trying to figure out how to control an uncontrollable situation WITH the MM. I think it is fair to say that there was "no love lost" between Vernon and many of the MM. Just my thoughts on it...

Thanks Queenie, so much.

Hugs,
Kimmi

TurnpikeTaylor
09-09-2007, 03:44 AM
It all gets a bit complicated though does`nt it? Because if the MM are the scum and jerks a lot of fans like to think they are........what does that make Elvis for having them around?

Donut
09-09-2007, 03:59 AM
This is one of the best books I?ve read on Elvis.

Getlo
09-09-2007, 04:20 AM
there is sometimes a little too much info they reveal 'bout Elvis.

There can never be "too much" info released about Elvis, so long as it's the truth ... even if it paints him in a negative light. It's been 30 years since he died. I say, let everyone tell their stories.

Getlo
09-09-2007, 04:22 AM
Were you here Getlo, under another name? :hmm:

Pardon? If you have something to say, Jess, then say it. No need to be cryptic ...

If my posts resemble in spirit those of another poster, then perhaps he / she and I think alike?

It's not impossible, you know.

Getlo
09-09-2007, 04:25 AM
l don't like the mm, elvis was better off without them using and abusing him.

He needed the MM, whether fans like it or not.

They were his friends ... his family, almost.

Elvis was nasty to them sometimes (especially Lamar ... just how many "fat" jokes is one man supposed to take in life?), and the "use" and "abuse" often went both ways ...

Getlo
09-09-2007, 04:26 AM
They contradicted each other all the way through (telling)

How so? Specific examples from the book?

Getlo
09-09-2007, 04:28 AM
It all gets a bit complicated though does`nt it? Because if the MM are the scum and jerks a lot of fans like to think they are........what does that make Elvis for having them around?

Great point, TT. (y)

The MM, while certainly having their faults both before and after death, are often painted in an unfair light by blinkered fans who refuse to see some truths.

Elvis needed them around. They were his best friends, like it or not ...

Merry
09-09-2007, 05:49 AM

All their justification, further books, "the circuit", television and radio interviews, came after he was gone, makes it worse doesn't. Telling.

Merry
09-09-2007, 05:49 AM
How so? Specific examples from the book?

Go to AEK, do a search for Rick and Marty.

Burning_Love
09-09-2007, 07:26 AM
Loved the book.
When reading it, i feel closer to Elvis as it went into lots of depth and know more about him. I doubt his own cousin would lie about him..

I, personally, liked it :D:D:D:D:D

Burning_Love
09-09-2007, 07:26 AM
Great point, TT. (y)

The MM, while certainly having their faults both before and after death, are often painted in an unfair light by blinkered fans who refuse to see some truths.

Elvis needed them around. They were his best friends, like it or not ...

(y)(y)(y)(y):clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

The King's Queen
09-09-2007, 07:44 AM

For me, it is not a question of what they were when Elvis was alive...it is how they have conducted themselves since his death. No doubt, they would "tow the mark" while Elvis was around..he was the boss after all. I just find it sad that they have chosen to put so much out there, some of which, they should have kept private out of loyalty to Elvis. Just my opinion...:blink:

There can never be "too much" info released about Elvis, so long as it's the truth ... even if it paints him in a negative light. It's been 30 years since he died. I say, let everyone tell their stories.

Getlo...I beg to differ. I too think that there can be too much info released. Regardless of whether or NOT these things are true...it is a matter of loyalty. Personally, I wouldn't care how long a person has been dead, some things just need to be kept out of the public eye. One must wonder how much of these "supposed" truths were sworn to be kept 'hush hush' among the group while Elvis was alive...:hmm: Does the fact that someone passes on give people the right to forget about promises they made, or give them the right to showcase things that were said to them or done with them present while the person was considered a trusted confidante?? All it boils down to with me is plain ol' loyalty...and it seems as if very few of them have remained loyal...

jak
09-09-2007, 07:54 AM
The MM book is held in high regard amongst knowledgeable fans.The book is a must read for those wanting to know more about Elvis.It would be in the top 5 of books written about Elvis.
Jak

Burning_Love
09-09-2007, 08:00 AM
The MM book is held in high regard amongst knowledgeable fans.The book is a must read for those wanting to know more about Elvis.It would be in the top 5 of books written about Elvis.
Jak

Thanks For Sharing Jak, Can Totally Agree !!(y)

Getlo
09-09-2007, 08:00 AM
Does the fact that someone passes on give people the right to forget about promises they made ...

In short ... yes.

Besides, I don't think Elvis ever said to the MM or whoever, "Hey, don't tell anyone I take so much medication" or "You gotta promise you'll never tell anyone how I really feel about ".

Also, putting aside people's opinions on the MM for a second, consider life from their point of view.

If EPE and certain fans are giving - as the MM sees it - untruths, then it's their right to set the record straight, even if some fans don't like what they hear.

As strained as the EP-MM relationships inevitably became, no one could seriously suggest that everything they said about Elvis was a lie. Some things, perhaps - and arguably - but not everything. No way, no how.

And I don't care what anyone says, I do not believe for one single second that the [I]only reason Red, Sonny and Dave contributed to Elvis, What Happened was revenge. Sure, it must've played a part. But Red and Sonny loved Elvis ... I just wish more fans would acknowledge that ... and they saw the book as a way of exposing Elvis' life to the world. '

What a pity EP never lived to reap the benefits of being so exposed, and then being forced to get his life back on track.

Getlo
09-09-2007, 08:01 AM
Jak

You mean What Happened, or this recent one??

Burning_Love
09-09-2007, 08:06 AM
In short ... yes.

Besides, I don't think Elvis ever said to the MM or whoever, "Hey, don't tell anyone I take so much medication" or "You gotta promise you'll never tell anyone how I really feel about ".

Also, putting aside people's opinions on the MM for a second, consider life from their point of view.

If EPE and certain fans are giving - as the MM sees it - untruths, then it's their right to set the record straight, even if some fans don't like what they hear.

As strained as the EP-MM relationships inevitably became, no one could seriously suggest that everything they said about Elvis was a lie. Some things, perhaps - and arguably - but not everything. No way, no how.

And I don't care what anyone says, I do not believe for one single second that the [I]only reason Red, Sonny and Dave contributed to Elvis, What Happened was revenge. Sure, it must've played a part. But Red and Sonny loved Elvis ... I just wish more fans would acknowledge that ... and they saw the book as a way of exposing Elvis' life to the world. '

What a pity EP never lived to reap the benefits of being so exposed, and then being forced to get his life back on track.

Yes Getlo, totally there with you.
Have you seen the interview with Sonny And Dave ? Sonny is talking about Elvis and Red saying that Red tried to get to Elvis and talk to him about his drug addiction and Elvis said "I need it man, i need it", but they still tried to help, they tried to show him..
I believe first of all, it was about revenge, but mostly and truly, about helping the man they have knew for so long, trying to bring him back to how he was in the 50's, in his prime.

Getlo
09-09-2007, 08:14 AM
Have you seen the interview with Sonny And Dave ? Sonny is talking about Elvis and Red saying that Red tried to get to Elvis and talk to him about his drug addiction and Elvis said "I need it man, i need it", but they still tried to help, they tried to show him..

Yes, I've seen the full interview. Also, the one with Joe on the Definitive Elvis boxed set, among others.

Some fans just won't believe or admit that the MM tried many times to get Elvis off the drugs. Of course, their critics will say "Oh, well then why didn't they leave Elvis if they thought it was so bad being around him?", but they miss the point.

Real friends stay and try to help and addict in trouble - which is precisely what Elvis Presley was, as distasteful as that is to face.

As far as I'm concerned, most of the MM have come in for too much unfair criticism over the years.

The King's Queen
09-09-2007, 08:16 AM
In short ... yes.

From everything that I know of Elvis...it seems to me that it was understood that he was a very "private" person. So much has been said about how he tried to keep his drugs, ect., hid...how could anyone associated with him "not know" that they were expected to keep quiet...? Sorry Getlo...I'm not one to argue...but it just doesn't make sense to me...:blink:

I never say that "everything" they put out there are lies...but I do believe that they sort of 'stretch' the truth from time to time...after all, they are making money from it and sensationalism sells...:supriced:

Ahhh Getlo...again we differ...(this is becoming a habit, isn't it?) lol. See, I feel that his "being so exposed" did a great deal of damage to an already bad situation with Elvis. Unfortunately...I don't think that had he lived another five years or more, their book would have helped him to recover or get back on track. Books or anything else that sheds a negative light on someone who relies on a "following", so to speak, do damage. I don't know how they (Red and Sonny) really felt about Elvis while they were writing the book...for their sakes I really hope that they had the best of intentions, because if they didn't, I would think that it would be hard to live with the fact that you had so obviously hurt someone that you cared so much for, so close to the end of their life. :'(

09-09-2007, 08:47 AM
Yes, I've seen the full interview. Also, the one with Joe on the Definitive Elvis boxed set, among others.

Some fans just won't believe or admit that the MM tried many times to get Elvis off the drugs. Of course, their critics will say "Oh, well then why didn't they leave Elvis if they thought it was so bad being around him?", but they miss the point.

Real friends stay and try to help and addict in trouble - which is precisely what Elvis Presley was, as distasteful as that is to face.

As far as I'm concerned, most of the MM have come in for too much unfair criticism over the years.

Well said.

Of course some will forever believe that they had a mystical hold over Elvis and fed him copious amounts of drugs while sitting back and doing absoloutely nothing about it.

People who beleive the MM did nothing to help Elvis and that they are all shallow people forget one thing.........Elvis chose them........and Elvis kept them around him. They may want to think about what Elvis would have been like to be around should they have such a low opinion of the people he chose to hand about with.

Merry
09-09-2007, 09:01 AM
Well said.

Of course some will forever believe that they had a mystical hold over Elvis and fed him copious amounts of drugs while sitting back and doing absoloutely nothing about it.

People who beleive the MM did nothing to help Elvis and that they are all shallow people forget one thing.........Elvis chose them........and Elvis kept them around him. They may want to think about what Elvis would have been like to be around should they have such a low opinion of the people he chose to hand about with.

After they running down Lisa! Betraying him! (Behind his back, again telling).

In my opinion, I'd like to be a fly on the wall when they catch up with each other.

Heads will roll!

Getlo
09-09-2007, 09:09 AM
After they running down Lisa! Betraying him! (Behind his back, again telling).

In my opinion, I'd like to be a fly on the wall when they catch up with each other.

Heads will roll!

The MM are entitled to their opinion of Lisa, as is everyone else. And they are more than entitled to give that opinion if someone approaches them for it.

Lisa was nine when he died; her memories are clouded at best. And I know I'm not exactly the Lone Ranger when I state that I think Elvis would be the first to kick Lisa's *** if he came back today, what with her obnoxious carryings on.

And what do you mean by "catch up with each other" - who, the MM?

jak
09-09-2007, 09:42 AM
You mean What Happened, or this recent one??

Revelations.

jak
09-09-2007, 09:48 AM
Well said.

Very well said.I am one of those that believe being around Elvis may not have equalled the fantasy image built around him.Im sure Elvis was a lot more like the guys he kept around than people want to believe.
Jak

franny
09-09-2007, 09:51 AM
I haven't read this book, yet...I don't have a problem with reading what the MM wrote, as long as it's the truth! Let's not close our eyes to Elvis' drug problem, it did exist!

I agree, Elvis chose to have the MM around, love or hate them, it was his choice!

franny

Getlo
09-09-2007, 09:53 AM
Very well said.I am one of those that believe being around Elvis may not have equalled the fantasy image built around him.Im sure Elvis was a lot more like the guys he kept around than people want to believe.
Jak

I agree. I've often thought what it would be like hanging around him and the guys. I reckon I could've done one tour, or a week screwing around at Graceland with them, but no more than that.

I think I'd have been very bored, very quickly. It wasn't exactly the most intellectual of atmospheres, and I think the "good ole boy" antics would've driven me nuts all too soon.

jak
09-09-2007, 10:12 AM
I agree. I've often thought what it would be like hanging around him and the guys. I reckon I could've done one tour, or a week screwing around at Graceland with them, but no more than that.

I think I'd have been very bored, very quickly. It wasn't exactly the most intellectual of atmospheres, and I think the "good ole boy" antics would've driven me nuts all too soon.

The one thing that I have always thought about that group of guys was how cocky and arrogant they must have been.A big bunch of male chauvanists getting allowed to act like fools and children.They created their own little fantasy world.Im sorry folks but Elvis was the master of ceremonies.I put him right in there with the rest of them.
Jak

Diane
09-09-2007, 10:42 AM
I agree with you there Jak, Elvis did create a fantasy world with the MM, I don't think anyone can doubt that but I think it got out of hand even for him thus the hiding away in his room more and more and the greater intake of drugs.

I think that the "good old boy" mentality never was enough for Elvis even at a young age and brought up in it. He had too curious a mind. I think he reached out for more, wanting to learn more and they weren't responding or interested in sharing that with him. He was part of them and yet not part of them.

I wish he had found the strength to break loose from all of it.

Diane

presley31
09-09-2007, 10:49 AM
I wish the same diane, he would of been better off.

jak
09-09-2007, 11:16 AM
I agree with you there Jak, Elvis did create a fantasy world with the MM, I don't think anyone can doubt that but I think it got out of hand even for him thus the hiding away in his room more and more and the greater intake of drugs.

I think that the "good old boy" mentality never was enough for Elvis even at a young age and brought up in it. He had too curious a mind. I think he reached out for more, wanting to learn more and they weren't responding or interested in sharing that with him. He was part of them and yet not part of them.

I wish he had found the strength to break loose from all of it.

Diane

Diane
It seems to me that Elvis never tried expanding his horizons.He just got lazy and satisfied for lack of a better term.I've always wondered why he didnt try to "shake things up" in his life.His career was the same way.He just seemed to go with the flow rather than make something happen.Elvis was a very powerfull person while he was alive.He could have done anything he wanted.Dont ever think Elvis had others holding him back from anything.He was the man back then and the whole world was at his feet.Why he just semed to to let himself fade away I cant understand.
Jak

TurnpikeTaylor
09-09-2007, 11:27 AM
mmmm........looks as usual at this stage of the debate that we are back to that question again.........why Elvis why?

Diane
09-09-2007, 11:31 AM
I don't think we'll even be able to understand that Jak. I have two theories: one that he inherited some of his dad's apathy to life in some ways and another is that he may very well have had a problem with depression as others have stated.

In either case, it is sad and a terrible loss.

Diane

ilovelvis
09-09-2007, 12:54 PM
I have an adjective, shall keep it to myself.

Kim

Ooh, ooh, ooh!! I'll bet I have that same adjective!! :angry:

ilovelvis
09-09-2007, 12:57 PM
Diane
It seems to me that Elvis never tried expanding his horizons.He just got lazy and satisfied for lack of a better term.I've always wondered why he didnt try to "shake things up" in his life.His career was the same way.He just seemed to go with the flow rather than make something happen.Elvis was a very powerfull person while he was alive.He could have done anything he wanted.Dont ever think Elvis had others holding him back from anything.He was the man back then and the whole world was at his feet.Why he just semed to to let himself fade away I cant understand.
Jak

I agree with this. Elvis had to be the one to say "this is it. I'm changing things up". Too bad he didn't. :'(

rawkinlvs
09-12-2007, 12:02 PM
it's worth a read , and i think its great the way it was done with all of them being asked the same question and having their answers, on the same subjects. It was a real big deal at the time it was published[alot of fans had bad things to say about 2 of the membres -lacker and fike ] who have bin hated for years, i'm sure glad that BILLY was included- i think you can pretty much believe anything he says, some tough questions were dealt with , as were some great myths expelled.

Himselvis
09-12-2007, 12:37 PM
To each his own concerning Elvis books....if you ask 20 different Elvis fans you generally get 20 different answers. I really enjoyed the MM book. It is actually one of the better I've read and I've read a bunch. If you don't trust what Billy has to say then you can pretty much not believe anything that has ever been written about elvis. Whether people want to discredit the MM for whatever reason the fact remains the 3 that wrote this book were there through almost all of it. Who better to tell the story than these guys and Red and Sonny. You expect to believe what Priscilla says? Give me a break. As far as Vernon was concerned he was always around but I don't think he was considered one of the MM. He certainly enjoyed all the perks that they did and then some, but he was Elvis' dad. The others were his friends. From what i've heard and gathered, Vernon did not like most of the guys and really hated when Elvis bought them expensive gifts and treated them like family. Just like any group of people, say 10 to 12 or so, your going to have trustworthy , honest and hardworking. You are also going to have backstabbing, jealousy and dishonesty. So goes the Memphis Mafia. Those on here who like to knock Red...what was he out for when he saved Elvis from getting his *** kicked at Humes High numerous times? If ever Elvis had a brother it was Red and maybe Billy towards the end. Those guys loved Elvis and cared for him deeply. That is a fact. Revelations is a good read in my opinion full of funny stories and also stuff that will really show you the human side of Elvis. I think it is essential for any Elvis fan.

Himselvis
09-12-2007, 12:40 PM
I was not trying to take away from the memory of Jesse Garon, Elvis older brother, I was just stating that Red and Billy were like brothers to him during his lifetime.

KPM
09-12-2007, 12:53 PM
In my opinion it is like all books about Elvis-it has a distinct point of view it is trying to get across and it has some self justification by those telling the storys. Any book you read it seems the authors claim as they tell their storys that they (and only they)were Elvis's best friends and confidants-the most trusted advisors above all. They told Elvis "how it was" when he needed to hear it.... IMO All these books have truth in them but the perspective is often slanted toward what "audience" they are writing for. Look at the adjectives they use as they spin their story-you can see what audience they are going for.

Himselvis
09-12-2007, 12:56 PM
That is an interesting and valid point KPM. There is definitely a target audience for each Elvis book. Not only that, as vast as Elvis' audience is, there is alot to go around. A different take/viewpoint for each audience.

The King's Queen
09-12-2007, 01:20 PM
That is an interesting and valid point KPM. There is definitely a target audience for each Elvis book. Not only that, as vast as Elvis' audience is, there is alot to go around. A different take/viewpoint for each audience.

I agree whole-heartedly! I think that is why we experience so many vastly different views on this forum...:blink: Rarely can two people read the same thing and derive the exact same meaning. And yes, the author's lean toward their views, because they are telling the story themselves. It us really up to the reader to decide whether or not they believe it...and that can be clouded by being biased sometimes. If we like someone, we tend to give them the benefit of the doubt...:)

ksimms2
09-12-2007, 01:51 PM
well you've peaked my interest enough to where I just bid on it on ebay.......lol...

presley31
09-12-2007, 01:55 PM
l hope you enjoy it kelly, that book made elvis look terrible in my opinion.

KPM
09-12-2007, 03:26 PM
I agree whole-heartedly! I think that is why we experience so many vastly different views on this forum...:blink: Rarely can two people read the same thing and derive the exact same meaning. And yes, the author's lean toward their views, because they are telling the story themselves. It us really up to the reader to decide whether or not they believe it...and that can be clouded by being biased sometimes. If we like someone, we tend to give them the benefit of the doubt...:)
It seems the only person who at times is not given the benefit of the doubt is Elvis-and he will never write a book.;)

Rhinestone
09-12-2007, 03:39 PM
l hope you enjoy it kelly, that book made elvis look terrible in my opinion.

The ones who I think looked very terrible were Marty, Billy, and Lamar. Such nice friends and a cousin(n)

Himselvis
09-12-2007, 03:54 PM
I definitely think that male Elvis fans would appreciate the book more than female fans. For one, it is told by the 3 males therefore has a male perspective. Secondly, the stories told are the kind of stuff that guys normally appreciate more than woman. Stories about, womanizing, partying etc... Seems like the kind of topics that appeal to men more. I do think that Marty and Lamar tend to lay it on thick whether talking about Elvis generosity or his womanizing, they do seem to go to the extremes a bit. Billy, on the other hand i though brought a very even perspective and balanced it all out. Most of the stories that these three relate had been published many years before in other books...it's not like they violated any kind of privacy of Elvis. These topics that some are calling taboo had been previously written about and discussed over and over in tv specials etc... It is entirely possible that they were trying to cash in and if you want to rake them over the coals for that then go right ahead. Towards the end, Billy was closer to Elvis than anybody and true he was his first cousin. Seems awkward that they would wait all those years to wait to cash in on their friendship with Elvis..I mean what year was Revelations published.....96 or 97?

Tony Trout
09-12-2007, 04:02 PM
I definitely think that male Elvis fans would appreciate the book more than female fans. For one, it is told by the 3 males therefore has a male perspective. Secondly, the stories told are the kind of stuff that guys normally appreciate more than woman. Stories about, womanizing, partying etc... Seems like the kind of topics that appeal to men more. I do think that Marty and Lamar tend to lay it on thick whether talking about Elvis generosity or his womanizing, they do seem to go to the extremes a bit. Billy, on the other hand i though brought a very even perspective and balanced it all out. Most of the stories that these three relate had been published many years before in other books...it's not like they violated any kind of privacy of Elvis. These topics that some are calling taboo had been previously written about and discussed over and over in tv specials etc... It is entirely possible that they were trying to cash in and if you want to rake them over the coals for that then go right ahead. Towards the end, Billy was closer to Elvis than anybody and true he was his first cousin. Seems awkward that they would wait all those years to wait to cash in on their friendship with Elvis..I mean what year was Revelations published.....96 or 97?

It was first published in 1995.

Diane
09-12-2007, 04:09 PM
I like KPM's statement that it seems Elvis is the only one who never gets the benefit of the doubt.(y)

Diane

KPM
09-12-2007, 04:22 PM
The first 2 did not wait years-Lamar has been involved in many projects before this including the 1981 Goldman book. Lacker wrote "Portrait of a Friend" around 79 and he has also had other projects over the years. Billy has never written a book alone that I know of.

Merry
09-12-2007, 04:25 PM
Ooh, ooh, ooh!! I'll bet I have that same adjective!! :angry:

LOL, we could play a game? hehe(y) :clap:

Kimmi

Himselvis
09-12-2007, 04:30 PM
I knew that Marty had done several projects but Lamar I only thought had been paid a fee by Goldman. not doubting you, but what other things has Lamar been involved with beside the Revelations and Goldman book? I'm out...be back tomorrow to follow up.

KPM
09-12-2007, 05:05 PM
I was referring to the videos which came out All the Kings Men and the many tv shows which they appeared on since 77 in which they got fees. Also books in which they may have been an unnamed source. I mean IMO there is no doubt most of these guys have made Elvis a good part of making their living over the last 30 years in one way or another. Good or bad. For better or worse.

ksimms2
09-12-2007, 05:10 PM
I am wanting to read these books for form my own opinion. I will read them "without my rose colored glasses" though. I will see them for the trash they are - if they are - and try and read between the lines....I've only read one Elvis book so far by jerry schilling and I liked it very much. he was honest in what he was saying in my opinion.....he seemed to truly care for Elvis and was very hurt when Elvis died...because as he said...he never thought it would happen and he'd never see him again. It was always, "see you later Jerry" when they parted. Never did he think he wouldn't be able to.......have a nice night everyone.

Diane
09-12-2007, 05:38 PM
I have the full set of All The King's Men in VHS and I can't believe I watched all of them and wasted my money - same trashing of Elvis as in their books.(n)

Diane

Gary1
09-12-2007, 05:40 PM
It all gets a bit complicated though does`nt it? Because if the MM are the scum and jerks a lot of fans like to think they are........what does that make Elvis for having them around?The Problem here is when Elvis was still here they were his best friends.They only became money grabbing A:angry::angry:Holes when he died and could no longer pay their wages .

09-12-2007, 05:43 PM
Here we go again.

The same can be said of people who post comments like the two just posted about the MM.

If there such a:angry::angry:holes as has been said......why did Elvis hang out with them and boy would you get some suprise if you met Elvis, rather than the Disney character some people seem to think he was.

Gary1
09-12-2007, 05:44 PM
I'm sorry if my post offended anyone;).It's just these people make me so angry.

franny
09-12-2007, 05:47 PM
Did any of the MM write a book bout their life with Elvis, when Elvis was still alive?

franny

Gary1
09-12-2007, 05:49 PM
Here we go again.

The same can be said of people who post comments like the two just posted about the MM.

If there such a:angry::angry:holes as has been said......why did Elvis hang out with them and boy would you get some suprise if you met Elvis, rather than the Disney character some people seem to think he was.I don't think for one minute he was a Disney character.Did you meet Elvis? and if you did and you don't like him what in gods name are you doing on an Elvis website.:angry:

KPM
09-12-2007, 05:51 PM
For whatever reasons Elvis felt he needed these guys around. For every flaw they have told about him, I'm sure if we are honest we would have to acknowledge Elvis could describe what he felt their flaws, weaknesses and motives were-as they have of him. We aren't going to get those stories.

Merry
09-12-2007, 05:55 PM
Here we go again.

If there such a:angry::angry:holes as has been said......why did Elvis hang out with them and boy would you get some suprise if you met Elvis, rather than the Disney character some people seem to think he was.

They waited until he was gone, for most of it, they were two faced ......

LOL, you don't have a clue, and you know, you never will, and no-one is tellin' ya. (y)

Merry
09-12-2007, 05:56 PM
I don't think for one minute he was a Disney character.Did you meet Elvis? and if you did and you don't like him what in gods name are you doing on an Elvis website.:angry:

Hi Gary,

Nice to meet you, I'm Kim (y)

Gary1
09-12-2007, 06:01 PM
Hi Gary,

Nice to meet you, I'm Kim (y)
Hi Kim nice to meet you to ;)

09-12-2007, 06:12 PM
Did any of the MM write a book bout their life with Elvis, when Elvis was still alive?

franny

No I believe that Jerry Hopkin's biography was the only main book out on Elvis's life while he was alive.

After his death the interest in his life and times exploded.

09-12-2007, 06:14 PM
They waited until he was gone, for most of it, they were two faced ......

LOL, you don't have a clue, and you know, you never will, and no-one is tellin' ya. (y)

Jess yet again you prove to be someone who will constantly drag a topic into a personal tirade against someone.

Perhaps if you knew anyone who knew Elvis you would realise how foolish, ignorant and totally absurd that comment is.

Merry
09-12-2007, 06:17 PM
Jess yet again your prove to be someone who will constantly drag a topic into a personal tirade against someone.

Perhaps if you knew anyone who knew Elvis you would realise how foolish, ignorant and totally absurd that comment is.

One, two, three, four, five, lol (Who/what/where/how? My statement stands) (y)

:clap::D

(Ahh stop with the name calling, huh!) (y)

The King's Queen
09-12-2007, 06:23 PM
One, two, three, four, five, lol

:clap::D

(Ahh stop with the name calling, huh!) (y)

Keep counting Kimmi...:lmfao:

Merry
09-12-2007, 06:24 PM
Keep counting Kimmi...:lmfao:

Hugs you, you know, hehe :clap:

09-12-2007, 06:27 PM
Wow, your behaviour marks that of a real classy lady. Bravo.

KPM
09-12-2007, 06:30 PM
I think you can get enough of who and what the MM are from reading the books and listening to the interviews. I'm not real interested in having a one on one with them. But they were close to Elvis and it was also their lives told from their point of view and personal perspective- strained through their own filters whatever that may be for each. I don't think that is an unfair statement. Elvis was not a Disney character- I don't think I've heard him called that.

presley31
09-12-2007, 06:32 PM
Well said KPM(y)(y)

09-12-2007, 06:32 PM
I think you can get enough of who and what the MM are from reading the books and listening to the interviews. I'm not real interested in having a one on one with them. But they were close to Elvis and it was also their lives told from their point of view and personal perspective- strained through their own filters whatever that may be for each. I don't think that is an unfair statement. Elvis was not a Disney character- I don't think I've heard him called that.

Exactly.

Elvis wasn't a Disney character so perhaps this fairytale about him should stop and people should realise he was human and had flaws like everyone.

Merry
09-12-2007, 06:35 PM
Wow, your behaviour marks that of a real classy lady. Bravo.

Again, stop with the name calling.

What are you doing here?

I take offence at that comment, and all your comments.

You don't know who anyone is, and you won't.

09-12-2007, 06:37 PM
Again, stop with the name calling.

What are you doing here?

I take offence at that comment, and all your comments.

You don't know who anyone is, and you won't.

Jess .... back off and stop replying to me.

You said I don't have a clue!

Back off.....now.

The King's Queen
09-12-2007, 06:38 PM
Exactly.

Elvis wasn't a Disney character so perhaps this fairytale about him should stop and people should realise he was human and had flaws like everyone.

I think that everyone here realizes that Elvis has flaws...and I don't ever recall reading anything pertaining to Elvis living a "fairytale" life. We realize that he had flaws, but so do the MM, and every other human being for that matter.

presley31
09-12-2007, 06:42 PM
Who said elvis didn't have flaws? I don't believe anything the mm say cause half the time they knew nothing about elvis and how he was feeling. If thats what friends are for well elvis sure was betteroff without them. No wonder elvis felt alone and lost and felt like he couldn't trust anybody. shame l say.

09-12-2007, 06:43 PM
I think that everyone here realizes that Elvis has flaws...and I don't ever recall reading anything pertaining to Elvis living a "fairytale" life. We realize that he had flaws, but so do the MM, and every other human being for that matter.

True.

But my experiences with Elvis fans has been that some and I stress some, who have decided that they will not read into his life, construct ideas; these ideas usually are:

MM is all bad.

Priscilla was his true love.

His doctor and the MM and Colonel ruined his life.

Elvis was an innocent victim.

Some people have an idealised version of Elvis, which they have constructed. That is what I was refering to as Elvis being like a Disney character to some....not all people....but some.

09-12-2007, 06:44 PM
Who said elvis didn't have flaws? I don't believe anything the mm say cause half the time they knew nothing about elvis and how he was feeling. If thats what friends are for well elvis sure was betteroff without them. No wonder elvis felt alone and lost and felt like he couldn't trust anybody. shame l say.

Elvis felt alone, lost and couldn't trust anyone you say.

Did Elvis say these words on stage or did you happen to read it in a book authored by the MM or a book someone else wrote based on interviews with the people who knew Elvis best.....the MM?

presley31
09-12-2007, 06:45 PM
so what you saying is we are not allowed to have freedom of opinions and if we do its really wrong but ok its its agreeable with you?

presley31
09-12-2007, 06:45 PM
Elvis felt alone, lost and couldn't trust anyone you say.

Did Elvis say these words on stage or did you happen to read it in a book authored by the MM or a book someone else wrote based on interviews with the people who knew Elvis best.....the MM?

sure they did by putting a knife in his back when he needed his friends the most.:angry:

09-12-2007, 06:47 PM
so what you saying is we are not allowed to have freedom of opinions and if we do its really wrong but ok its its agreeable with you?

What??????

09-12-2007, 06:49 PM
sure they did by putting a knife in his back when he needed his friends the most.:angry:

St Elvis I

I presume you are referring to Red, Sonny and Dave?

And I take it you read about the emotions Elvis was feeling from a MM member.

People fall out and get back together. It's life. Elvis wasn't the perfect friend and neither were they.

presley31
09-12-2007, 06:49 PM
we have different views on things,try to accept that

09-12-2007, 06:51 PM
I don't have to try, I do accept it.

Perhaps some others here should not say people know nothing if they disagree with them.

This thread should not be dragged off topic anymore.

The King's Queen
09-12-2007, 06:53 PM
True.

But my experiences with Elvis fans has been that some and I stress some, who have decided that they will not read into his life, construct ideas; these ideas usually are:

MM is all bad.
I have to say 03...I have yet to see much 'good' from them since Elvis died. We must remember that once a person is dead, they no longer have the ability to defend theirself...perhaps this is the case...?

Priscilla was his true love.
I don't buy this for one minute...but that is just my opinion.

His doctor and the MM and Colonel ruined his life.
Lots of things ruined Elvis' life...and EACH of those things...including people...must take their share of the blame. And yes...that does include Elvis!

Elvis was an innocent victim.
I am sorry...I have not met one single person on this forum that has EVER said that. Sure, some of us believe that he didn't fully realize that he could or would get addicted in the way that he did...does that make him a victim...? He was a victim of circumstance...and that is my opinion. I'm not taking away his blame for his own self-destruction...but sometimes one must use human understanding and compassion and realize that these types of things (addictions, self destruction) slip up on people. Ask an alcoholic if they are one..9 times out of 10, the answer will be "no". My thought is that it got out of control before he realized what it was doing to him...JMO.

Some people have an idealised version of Elvis, which they have constructed. That is what I was refering to as Elvis being like a Disney character to some....not all people....but some.

I truly hope you understand what I am saying. I don't think that people are ignoring the truths...but sometimes, they try to be open-minded to how easy it is to get side-tracked. Does this make any sense...? :hmm:

KPM
09-12-2007, 06:55 PM
I will tell you what has always bothered me personally about the whole MM and Elvis debate-he has no voice in it. Period. Its not just how I feel because its Elvis-that goes for anyone who is not around to give their take. For that reason I will question everything they say or write.
That is the devils advocate in me on all subjects.
Elvis and Lamar are in a room and then........Lamar tells us his version-we will never hear Elvis's reply. Multiply that by 12-the main MM and you get a lot of "I wonder what Elvis would say". Do not translate this as me saying Elvis would be 100% truthful or accurate- but he would have his versions and his storys. To say the MM were there and they saw it all is still only half of the equation-no matter how you cut it. I give Elvis the same right that I think everyone deserves-IMO

09-12-2007, 06:57 PM
Yes I see your point of view. I agree with you on some of it and other parts I don't agree with it.

I'm not going to tell you that you know nothing unlike another poster here.

But it is late and I must now retire.

09-12-2007, 06:59 PM
I will tell you what has always bothered me personally about the whole MM and Elvis debate-he has no voice in it. Period. Its not just how I feel because its Elvis-that goes for anyone who is not around to give their take. For that reason I will question everything they say or write.
That is the devils advocate in me on all subjects.
Elvis and Lamar are in a room and then........Lamar tells us his version-we will never hear Elvis's reply. Multiply that by 12-the main MM and you get a lot of "I wonder what Elvis would say". Do not translate this as me saying Elvis would be 100% truthful or accurate- but he would have his versions and his storys. To say the MM were there and they saw it all is still only half of the equation-no matter how you cut it. I give Elvis the same right that I think everyone deserves-IMO

Good point.

It applys to all who are deceased and never left a written testament of there times.

The best thing to do is see how many MM stories match up in some shape or form to try and reconstruct events as accurately as possible.

As most of the time it was Elvis and the MM and Elvis isn't here.......but who knows, perhaps Elvis's version would have been the one that was truly wayyy off the mark!

presley31
09-12-2007, 07:00 PM
Yes I see your point of view. I agree with you on some of it and other parts I don't agree with it.

I'm not going to tell you that you know nothing unlike another poster here.

But it is late and I must now retire.

are you saying some of us are wrong???

KPM
09-12-2007, 07:09 PM
I'm sure there would be times when his version would not coincide with theirs.
But lets say for instance he was in a really bad mood one day-they describe it as "he was in one of his bad moods where nothing we did was right"
He might come back and say
"well Prisicilla and I just had a fight, Dad was asking why I spent $50,000 to fly to Denver for a sandwich, my dog gone neck and back hurt. I can't seem to lose the weight....." he would maybe not always disagree with what they say-but he might give some insight into what else he was feeling and going on-that they did not know or understand. Sure they were close but you can't know it all-nor understand it all. Thats my point.

09-12-2007, 07:16 PM
And thats a very valid point KPM. What we can do is make the best of what we have to work with.

The King's Queen
09-12-2007, 07:17 PM
I'm sure there would be times when his version would not coincide with theirs.
But lets say for instance he was in a really bad mood one day-they describe it as "he was in one of his bad moods where nothing we did was right"
He might come back and say
"well Prisicilla and I just had a fight, Dad was asking why I spent $50,000 to fly to Denver for a sandwich, my dog gone neck and back hurt. I can't seem to lose the weight....." he would maybe not always disagree with what they say-but he might give some insight into what else he was feeling and going on-that they did not know or understand. Sure they were close but you can't know it all-nor understand it all. Thats my point.

You do have a wonderful way of getting your point across KPM...well done! :clap: :notworthy

Elvis was carrying a lot of responsibility. If he didn't produce and get paid...there were numerous people who didn't get paid either. And let's not forget that he was responsible for his family...many members of his family...as well. Combine that with health issues, career problems, being under contstant scrutiny and the other things he was going through...and you would def have someone who couldn't possibly stay in a pleasant mood at all times... It is called being human.

Merry
09-12-2007, 07:19 PM
Jess yet again you prove to be someone who will constantly drag a topic into a personal tirade against someone.

Against my better judgement, I'm replying.

I have not called you one name, whereas you feel free to call me, and others any name you wish.

Back off? What from, asking you to stop calling names?

That is my right. You insult deeply, and get away with it, and no-one understands why you do.

Your question to whether I know people who knew Elvis? I won't answer that, but let me say, I don't lie, I don't exaggerate, I don't presume, and I don't pass on third hand information, nor have I read many books.

A friend of mine replied to you a while back, he did it well, was on the mark.

Hugs to him
and
xxxxx
Kim

P.S. No more from me, to you, I know you'll want the last say, go for it.

Merry
09-12-2007, 08:15 PM
You do have a wonderful way of getting your point across KPM...well done! :clap: :notworthy

Elvis was carrying a lot of responsibility. If he didn't produce and get paid...there were numerous people who didn't get paid either. And let's not forget that he was responsible for his family...many members of his family...as well. Combine that with health issues, career problems, being under contstant scrutiny and the other things he was going through...and you would def have someone who couldn't possibly stay in a pleasant mood at all times... It is called being human.

Beautifully said Queenie and KPM.

Those words are what always rattle around in my head, and my mouth doesn't seem to form them! lol :lmfao:

Kimmi

The King's Queen
09-12-2007, 08:22 PM
Beautifully said Queenie and KPM.

Those words are what always rattle around in my head, and my mouth doesn't seem to form them! lol :lmfao:

Kimmi

Thanks Kimmi...:blush:

I think you do quite well at expressing yourself...lol..:lmfao:

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

09-12-2007, 08:24 PM
This thread is gone wayyy off topic.

The King's Queen
09-12-2007, 08:28 PM
This thread is gone wayyy off topic.

How so? We were discussing the MM...correct? And KPM made a valid post about it..to which I replied. And Jess simply replied to that... What am I missing??? :blink:

Lonniebealestreet
09-12-2007, 08:30 PM
Friends,

There are lots of strong opinions here, and we are entitled to all of them. None of us can be sure who is right and who is wrong. We feel like we know these people when most of us really don't, and we like to think we know what Elvis would have thought or done in certain situations. We are not qualified to make that call either.

So everyone needs to respect everyone else's speculative postings, no matter how off-base they might seem. By respect I don't mean not questioning or being critical but simply not making things personal or taking things personally.

We moderators do not like closing threads, issuing infraction points, banning people and all that stuff but we will do those things when it becomes necessary in order to keep peace and make this place enjoyable for all. We had to ban someone yesterday for making personal attacks. (n) Do not go down that road. At this point no such actions have been taken in this thread but if cooler heads do not prevail we will have no choice. Don't make us play Big Brother; we would much rather just join in the fun that at most times is had by all.

So let the insults end now.

By the way this is not being directed at just one person.

Thx,
Bobby and the :tcbworld: Moderating Team

09-12-2007, 08:32 PM
Lets bring it back to Elvis.

Who here has the outtakes of On Tour?

My favourite has to be when you realise the edited bit, where they edited the footage so Elvis says something like..."That woman looked great in bed"

When it actually was...

"That woman gave great head!"

Anyone know where in EOT it is exactly....Red is there with Elvis when Elvis says it. Can't remember exactly where in the outtakes it is and want to isolate it for a friend.

presley31
09-12-2007, 08:35 PM
well said lonnie(y)(y)

Getlo
09-13-2007, 06:47 AM
My favourite has to be when you realise the edited bit, where they edited the footage so Elvis says something like..."That woman looked great in bed"

When it actually was...

"That woman gave great head!"

Anyone know where in EOT it is exactly....Red is there with Elvis when Elvis says it. Can't remember exactly where in the outtakes it is and want to isolate it for a friend.

It's "She could wake the dead, man". It's not in On Tour, though.

It's in This Is Elvis, the theatrical version.

09-13-2007, 07:21 AM
It's "She could wake the dead, man". It's not in On Tour, though.

It's in This Is Elvis, the theatrical version.

Ah thank you Getlo. Was tired last night when I posted that, busy watching the World Series of Poker on Youtube!

The unedited version is; "She gave great head!" Elvis says that in the unedited version....correct?

Getlo
09-13-2007, 07:34 AM
Ah thank you Getlo. Was tired last night when I posted that, busy watching the World Series of Poker on Youtube!

The unedited version is; "She gave great head!" Elvis says that in the unedited version....correct?

Er, yeah. I think it's on the first disc from the new 2-disc DVD edition.

It's the theatrical version. I remember the audience gasping at the comment when I went to see the movie several times in 1981 ...

09-13-2007, 07:35 AM
Er, yeah. I think it's on the first disc from the new 2-disc DVD edition.

It's the theatrical version. I remember the audience gasping at the comment when I went to see the movie several times in 1981 ...

lol

To think Elvis enjoyed blow-jobs!

The horror!

presley31
09-13-2007, 07:37 AM
Come on guys thats way off topic

09-13-2007, 07:42 AM
At least were talking about Elvis and not about raising familys!

Looking at some threads here this one actually is about Elvis.

Anyone know which girl Elvis was referring to.

A girl he had for the night, doubt it was one of the steady ones!

presley31
09-13-2007, 07:44 AM
your talking about something sexual , and you don't find nothing wrong with that??, l hope the mods do cause l find that wrong to be talking about on a public forum, which has lots of younger people here.

09-13-2007, 07:47 AM
Hey...Elvis said it on film!

I don't see the problem with it, we talk about sex which is on par with blow jobs.

I hardly suspect the conservative right are patroling these boards.

What's the problem with them or with discussing them or for that matter with Elvis enjoying and speaking about them!

presley31
09-13-2007, 07:49 AM
It have's nothing to do with the topic, read what lonnie said last night.

09-13-2007, 08:19 AM
Well it can be seen as a Revelation of sorts, seeing as some people may not have seen Elvis state on film about the woman who gave good head.

Vissie
09-13-2007, 08:21 AM
Busy watching the World Series of Poker on Youtube!

I love poker!! :lol: Texas Hold 'em is my game ;)

Diane
09-13-2007, 08:33 AM
I'm sure we've all seen that on youtube. Nobody here expected Elvis to be any different than any other man about sex 03, but gee, do we have to go into these details??:blink: I personally don't care to know - I'm not a voyeur. :blush:

Diane

09-13-2007, 08:38 AM
It;s not as if we are giving a blow by blow account of what heppened during his sexual escapades.

I think some conservative vs liberal thought and speech is at play here.

There is nothing wrong with using the word blow job or sex on a forum that deals with topics such as drug overdoses and also details autopsy's performed on Elvis.

presley31
09-13-2007, 08:40 AM
I'm sure we've all seen that on youtube. Nobody here expected Elvis to be any different than any other man about sex 03, but gee, do we have to go into these details??:blink: I personally don't care to know - I'm not a voyeur. :blush:

Diane

Thank you diane (y)(y)

presley31
09-13-2007, 08:41 AM
It;s not as if we are giving a blow by blow account of what heppened during his sexual escapades.

I think some conservative vs liberal thought and speech is at play here.

There is nothing wrong with using the word blow job or sex on a forum that deals with topics such as drug overdoses and also details autopsy's performed on Elvis.

we all know elvis was sexual in his private time, but its not good to talk about it on a forum.

09-13-2007, 08:44 AM
Yes it is.

If you believe that then perhaps the post about his autopsy that you commented on is also unsuitable?

Regardless, this is being brought away from Elvis.

I suggest you take it up with a moderator if it bother you this much.

Personally I find Elvis's comments about getting head hilarious!

Burning_Love
09-13-2007, 08:55 AM
I agree with you presley31. It's good to talk about to an extent but not all the way/blow-by-blow. I am 16 years old and some others are younger than me on here and maybe their parents wouldn't be to happy with the rudeness and explicit content on here.

Like i said, it's alright to an extent, but sometimes it gets too much.

Danielle x

Getlo
09-13-2007, 08:56 AM
l hope the mods do cause l find that wrong to be talking about on a public forum, which has lots of younger people here.

Unless they're about 8 or under, I feel confident in saying they'd know what a bj was!

Getlo
09-13-2007, 08:57 AM
It;s not as if we are giving a blow by blow account

Boom, boom ... ! :lol:

presley31
09-13-2007, 08:58 AM
I agree with you presley31. It's good to talk about to an extent but not all the way/blow-by-blow. I am 16 years old and some others are younger than me on here and maybe their parents wouldn't be to happy with the rudeness and explicit content on here.

Danielle x

Thanks Danielle, good to see something agrees with me(y)

09-13-2007, 09:02 AM

Danielle x

Please it's not as if this is an adult website.

Don't drag this into a debate about morals. Besides 16 is the legal age to have sex.

Rudeness is in the eye of the beholder, if someone finds sex rude then that's there problem. I have no intention of becoming a conservative.

Pretty darn obvious some of you would be quite offended if you were in Elvis's company judging by just that comment about the woman who gave great head.

Diane
09-13-2007, 09:05 AM
Wow, here is a perfect example of what KPM was talking about on the Gladys thread how times have changed since Elvis was growing up and that the young people today have no concept of how it was.

No way would the guys talk about these things in front of a girl....that was strictly guy talk. My boyfriend at the time wouldn't even let other guys swear in front of me - he made them apologize....and they did without hesitation and were embarrassed.

Diane

Vissie
09-13-2007, 09:05 AM
Hmm.. I wonder if the admin/mods might be agreeable to a password protected adult forum?:hmm:

09-13-2007, 09:07 AM
Wow, here is a perfect example of what KPM was talking about on the Gladys thread how times have changed since Elvis was growing up and that the young people today have no concept of how it was.

No way would the guys talk about these things in front of a girl....that was strictly guy talk. My boyfriend at the time wouldn't even let other guys swear in front of me - he made them apologize....and they did without hesitation and were embarrassed.

Diane

The world was ridden by the religious back then.

Thankfully that has changed.

Peopel now realise sex outside of marriage is fine, as is homosexual sex and freedom of expression.

presley31
09-13-2007, 09:10 AM
Hmm.. I wonder if the admin/mods might be agreeable to a password protected adult forum?:hmm:

l was thinking the same thing:doh:

U.S. Male
09-13-2007, 09:27 AM
Hey...Elvis said it on film!

The fact that Elvis made this remark in a film does not justify it being posted on this forum.

Our rules clearly state that no sexually explicit comments will be allowed.

09-13-2007, 09:30 AM
May I ask what exactly is emant by sexually explicit?

Are we allowed to use the word sex?

A better outline of what is meant by that term in relation to this forum is needed.

09-13-2007, 09:34 AM
I have asked for rules to be clarified as people here differ, being a liberal I don't find the term I posted as sexually explicit while some may do so.

Diane
09-13-2007, 09:40 AM
It had nothing to do with religion then 03....simply respect.

Diane

Getlo
09-13-2007, 09:56 AM
0349054 is banned (n) ... is this a permanent thing, mods??

Gary1
09-13-2007, 09:56 AM
The fact that Elvis made this remark in a film does not justify it being posted on this forum.

.Quite right BBM.

presley31
09-13-2007, 09:57 AM
0349054 is banned (n) ... is this a permanent thing, mods??

Happens when you don't follow the rules

Burning_Love
09-13-2007, 09:59 AM

Our rules clearly state that no sexually explicit comments will be allowed.
Thank You BBM :notworthy

Burning_Love
09-13-2007, 10:00 AM

Yup ! (n)(n)

I didn't feel comfortable with his words, i have said some things, but the are only to do with the topic, they weren't quite as explicit (n)

Gary1
09-13-2007, 10:04 AM
Yup ! (n)(n)

I didn't feel comfortable with his words, i have said some things, but the are only to do with the topic, they weren't quite as explicit (n)
I had to walk away from getting into an argument with him last night.

presley31
09-13-2007, 10:08 AM
some people like to say things and there word is always right and the rest are wrong.

Gary1
09-13-2007, 10:10 AM
Very True.

Getlo
09-13-2007, 10:13 AM

Thanks for the insight. Really. ;)

presley31
09-13-2007, 10:18 AM
mods are not going to tell you why he got banned but its clear you don't use that kind of talk in here.

Burning_Love
09-13-2007, 10:23 AM
mods are not going to tell you why he got banned but its clear you don't use that kind of talk in here.

(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Getlo
09-13-2007, 10:26 AM
mods are not going to tell you why he got banned .

I'm sure the moderators can speak for themselves, thanks presley31.

My question was not why he was banned, but rather whether or not it was permanent.

Thank you again.

Sonny
09-13-2007, 11:57 AM
He was banned for obvious reasons. And not the first time.

And the way it appears now it's permanent.

Sonny

Burning_Love
09-13-2007, 11:59 AM

Sonny

Thank you Sonny for letting us know (y)(y)

Diane
09-13-2007, 12:00 PM
Thank you Rene for the explanation.

Diane

presley31
09-13-2007, 12:00 PM
Thanks Sonny,

Getlo
09-13-2007, 12:02 PM

Sonny

Cheers, Sonny. Thanks.

franny
09-13-2007, 12:25 PM
Thanks, Rene!

franny

The King's Queen
09-13-2007, 01:40 PM
BBM and Sonny...thank you soooo much! This place has young kids on here looking around and some participating even, and this type of thing was uncalled for. You have my sincere appreciation for keeping this place as clean as you do!!!

presley31
09-13-2007, 01:45 PM
Why did the MM have to write more books about elvis?? Didn't they think that Elvis what happened wasn't good enough.It seems to me that all they write is the same old stuff that we read a thousand times already??

Diane
09-13-2007, 01:48 PM
Spent all the money from the first one?:lol: Just kidding Jen, but maybe I'm not all that far off.

Diane

presley31
09-13-2007, 01:49 PM
That did come to mind diane:P:lol:

medleyofcostumes
09-13-2007, 03:17 PM
Many fans are always hungry for Elvis' stories/facts so, being the men nearest to him, what they say can be considered true. I'm not saying it is not but sometimes as the years go by certain stories may get more colourful. Thirty years is a long time to remember facts as they really happened.

By the way, I thing that Elvis and the MM needed each other. The MM lived a life with the King and what it brought - women, money, reputation, and now almost stardom. Elvis needed to be around a group of people since he could not socialize like non-celebrities for security reasons. It was part of the 'Kingdom' to be surrounded by yesman that laughed when he laughed even if there was nothing to laugh about. It was surreal and sad. When Elvis died the baloon burst and the the real life started for the MM as individuals. I am not blaming them, it may happen to a lot of people who live with celebrities.

KPM
09-13-2007, 03:18 PM
I would think 30 years later the stories would begun to run low.

presley31
09-13-2007, 03:25 PM
too right KPM, there getting boring singing the same tune.

Gary1
09-13-2007, 04:27 PM
Spent all the money from the first one?:lol: Just kidding Jen, but maybe I'm not all that far off.

DianeHi Diane there's probabley a lot of truth in what you said.

Getlo
09-14-2007, 12:38 AM
But back to the MM's Revelations book.

My paperback copy lists picture credits on various pages ... but it has no pictures in it! They're not missing, they're simply not there in the first place.

Does anyone have a copy with the pics? And if so, what are they? Any chance of posting some if they're especially good?

Merry
09-14-2007, 02:03 AM
But back to the MM's Revelations book.

My paperback copy lists picture credits on various pages ... but it has no pictures in it! They're not missing, they're simply not there in the first place.

Does anyone have a copy with the pics? And if so, what are they? Any chance of posting some if they're especially good?

They were removed from further printings, as they didn't ask for the authorisation to use them. Bit of trivia.

Diane
09-14-2007, 07:48 AM
You've raised quite a question there Getlo. I have a copy but it's packed away and I don't remember whether there were pictures or not. I hope someone has a copy with the photos and will post them for you. I would be interested in seeing them to see if I can remember them or not.

Diane

TurnpikeTaylor
09-14-2007, 09:56 AM
For those who have no interest in books by the likes of the MM why not just ignore them and not buy them?

KPM
09-14-2007, 09:58 AM
My copy has pictures and some are not too well known but many are ones you've probably seen.

TurnpikeTaylor
09-14-2007, 10:09 AM
My fave pic is the last one of Larry, Curly and Mo....err...i mean Billy, Marty and Lamar.