PDA

View Full Version : Let It Be

Lisarose
08-23-2007, 08:53 PM
Help me out, ya'll. I have a bet with a friend, she says Elvis sang the Beatles song 'Let It Be'. I don't think so, I know he sang quite a few Beatles tunes, but I don't recall this one. she says he sang it as a medley along with 'Hey Jude'. We've got a bet on this - loser has to pick pears off the backyard tree!

Lonniebealestreet
08-23-2007, 08:57 PM
To my knowledge, Elvis only sang Hey Jude with Yesterday, other than the rather sloppy studio recording. He did however sing a song called Let It Be Me, not a Beatles song, as heard on Elvis On Stage (1970).

The King's Queen
08-23-2007, 08:58 PM
Hmmm...:hmm: Not that I recall. But then again, my memory fails me from time to time. He did sing "Let It Be Me"...but that was a far cry from being a Beatles song...:P

Hope you win your bet! :king:

SeeSeeRider777
08-23-2007, 10:40 PM
I heard on Elvis radio Elvis singing Lady Madonna. Sounded good.

rocknroll
08-23-2007, 10:48 PM
He sang Yesterday with Hey Jude.

He also sang the Everly Brother's Let It Be Me.

Hope your friend enjoys picking them pears.:D

Raised on Rock
08-24-2007, 01:51 AM
Elvis only recorded the next Beatles songs:

Hey Jude. '69
Yesterday/Hey Jude. Live '69
Get Back (on a medley with his own hit Little Sister). Live '70 '72
Something. Live '70 '73
Lady Madona '71

In an nterview Joe Esposito once delcared Elvis did liked some other McCartney ballads apart from "Yesterday", and quote "Let It Be" as one of them, but no, he didn?t recorded or preformed it live anytime.

Just thinking, maybe "Let it Be" would have been a better choice of a Macas tune than Yesterday/Hey Jude, it would have fitted him better, just an opinion.

Burning_Love
08-24-2007, 05:40 AM
Don't forget he sang "Something" a beatles song..

thehillbillycat
08-24-2007, 07:09 AM
Elvs never song Let It Be at any time during his career. On stage the only song he sung as a medley was Yesterday/Hey Jude. Yesterday was a full version while Hey Jude was only the last part of the song. He sung Little Sister with Get Back starting in 1970 and I believe the last tiem he sung it was in 1972. Lady Madonna was never sung live. It was only recorded in a studio. Something the only Beatle song he could really sing. He started singing that in 1970. But he never sung the full song of Hey Jude on stage because he couldn't remember the words for the song. He did try to sing the whole song one time in Vegas but he only got to the second line then quit.

But you won the bet. Hands down.

ksimms2
08-24-2007, 07:13 AM
Looks like you won your bet - how about sending some of those pears down here to Florida??? I love pears....yum! :)

elvis himselvis
08-24-2007, 09:15 AM
The only song that looks like Let it Be ,is Let it Be Me,and that's the song he sang.

I hope you won your bet(y)

thehillbillycat
08-24-2007, 10:06 AM
Yea, Let It Be Me is alot different from Let It Be. Both songs are beautiful in their owns ways. As I have said, Something is the only song in my opinion Elvis did a good job on. If he would of song Let It Be I bet that would of been a good version too.

Jumpsuit Junkie
08-24-2007, 11:03 AM
I like the sloppy recorded version of Hey Jude :blush:

KPM
08-24-2007, 12:10 PM
On the 25th anniversary I bought the magazine
"Elvis Then and Now" Official Graceland 25th Anniversary Collectors Edition
it included a cd. There is a trivia section and question 13 is
Which of these Beatle songs did Elvis not record?
A-Lady Madonna
B-Here Comes the Sun
C-Get Back
D-Let it Be
Their answer was B-Here Comes the Sun
I figured it was just a mistake on their part-but hoped that maybe it existed somewhere.:doh:

Raised on Rock
08-24-2007, 05:48 PM
On the 25th anniversary I bought the magazine
"Elvis Then and Now" Official Graceland 25th Anniversary Collectors Edition
it included a cd. There is a trivia section and question 13 is
Which of these Beatle songs did Elvis not record?
A-Lady Madonna
B-Here Comes the Sun
C-Get Back
D-Let it Be
Their answer was B-Here Comes the Sun
I figured it was just a mistake on their part-but hoped that maybe it existed somewhere.:doh:

Yeah! you are right I?ve got that Mag to, and it reads just like that, a mistake anyhow, Elvis never did that, although, as I posted earlier, Esposito says it was an Elvis Beatles favourite.

Raised on Rock
08-24-2007, 05:59 PM
Elvs never song Let It Be at any time during his career. On stage the only song he sung as a medley was Yesterday/Hey Jude. Yesterday was a full version while Hey Jude was only the last part of the song. He sung Little Sister with Get Back starting in 1970 and I believe the last tiem he sung it was in 1972. Lady Madonna was never sung live. It was only recorded in a studio. Something the only Beatle song he could really sing. He started singing that in 1970. But he never sung the full song of Hey Jude on stage because he couldn't remember the words for the song. He did try to sing the whole song one time in Vegas but he only got to the second line then quit.

But you won the bet. Hands down.

Of course it a matter of opinion, but from my point of view, Lady Madona, being a Jam and all, Elvis voice sounded and fitted just great for the song, with some trademark Elvis echo added, something Elvis haven?t used since the 50's and wouldn't use againuntil Stax in '73 it just sounded great, as the way that song it should have been donde. Rember, Elvis echo was a pursue that The Beatles, a bunch of sound texture freaks always seemed to underchieve

Ringo Star stated once that McCartney did his vocals on Lady Madona with Elvis in mind as well as he did on "Why Don?t We Do it On The Road" a track from the White Album, and many other tracks. Ringo added: "Lady Madona... it sound like Elvis doesn?t it? No-no it doesn?t sound like Elvis. It is Elvis -even those bits where he goes very high"

Wonder when BMG or more likely FTD are gonna release the complete an unedited Jam of Lady Madona, the funk and country arrangment sounds perfect for that song.

Lisarose
08-24-2007, 08:53 PM
:notworthyThanks to all who answered.:notworthy I was racking my brain & for a while I thought I could hear him singing it after all. :blink: Elvis did enjoy a good ballad, & that certainly is one. My favorite would have to be Something.
But anyway, she starts picking the pears this weekend! Thank god! It's too darn hot for that! The pear pies will follow!(y)

The King's Queen
08-25-2007, 08:29 AM
Congrats on winning! (y):)

ruggishboo
08-25-2007, 11:32 AM
"Let it Be" would of been a good song for Elvis to cover, especially in 1970. I think he would have given an excellent rendering of the classic Beatles tune. By the way, congrats on winning your bet!