PDA

View Full Version : Elvis: Viva Las Vegas debuts at #94 on BB Top 200

King_Creole
08-12-2007, 10:28 PM
Considering that there has been virtually no promotion and little fanfare, this cd set still managed to creep into the Top 200 Best selling cd's peaking at #94.

Some more interesting facts about Elvis' sales figures in the soundscan era:

According to Nielsen SoundScan, Elvis sold 410,000 copies of the holiday album "White Christmas" in 2000 and about 900,000 of "Second to None" in 2003.

His 2004 gospel album, "Ultimate Gospel," racked up 350,000 in units sales.

The 2002 collection "30 #1 Hits" sold 4 million copies.

The recent "The Essential Elvis Presley" double disc released in January of 2007 debuted at #72 and sold just over 20,000 units in it's first month of release.

Not bad, HUH ?

These are for U.S. sales only.

Geoff the Chef
08-12-2007, 11:44 PM
viva las vegas SHOULD sell well.....apart from crappy short running Camden LP re-releases its about the ONLY release WORTH getting around the Anniversary time.... obviously they reckon the market isn't interested in another 'box set' or 'on tour dvd's' so we'll have to treat this fantastic mastering and sound on this 2 CD set as good as its going to get this year!

Albert
08-13-2007, 12:39 AM
those are really good numbers indeed.

Too bad though that Viva Las Vegas (without proper promotion) is the only thing BMG seem to offer on the 30th Anniverary year to the general public.

EP75
08-13-2007, 07:52 AM
I was told the reason RCA didn't put out a new album of remixes and didn't put out anything special to promote the anniversary has more to due with the dying muisc industry in record sales than anything else. Take it for what it's worth.

KPM
08-13-2007, 08:22 PM
Ernst Jorgenson says the remixes are expensive to produce and promote and that is the reason BMG/Sony does not do more of them. If you compare it to putting the same songs in an updated fresher looking package -I guess it is more expensive to hire a producer to work on remixes. But remixes bring the chance to grab younger audiences. ALLC did that for a time. IMO The lack of a quick follow up, of similar quality was what slowed that momentum down. The funny thing is ALLC was not even a BMG/Sony commissioned product-they just reaped the rewards after it was done by a disc Jockey JXL. If they would take a chance now and then beyond what they normally do it could be very good for their sales and Elvis.

poormansgold76
08-13-2007, 09:21 PM
How much you Can Sell same Stuff over and over again, only change is the covers and without little promotion
That's I Will look at new releases and see what on it, The Viva Las Vegas 2 CD is best to get over single version and Elvis At The Movies 2 cds.
I don't buy stuff I used Too .
RCA/BMG Never reelease Remix again because of The Guitar Man LP, Don't Sell much and I Was The One LP didn't Sell all, the The Elvis Medley LP bomb.
I think if It done nice and Promotion go with it., I might buy it.

King_Creole
08-14-2007, 12:02 AM
IMO The lack of a quick follow up, of similar quality was what slowed that momentum down.

The 2003 Paul Oakenfold remix of "Rubberneckin" was released 14 months after the 2002 JXL "A Little Less Conversation" single was released.

Was that not a quick follow up ?

The single stalled at #90 on the Billboard Hot 100.

These remixes or whatever you wanna call 'em only work if the idea is fresh and stays in contact with the original feel, intent and integrity of the song and singer to begin with.

They are basically a novelty, or a gimmick.

In today's fickle world of a Hot #1 song, it will be considered tomorrows forgotten oldie, and it'll all makes too much sense.

Plastic soul bruthaz and sistaz ...get it ? good!

KPM
08-14-2007, 10:23 AM
The 2003 Paul Oakenfold remix of "Rubberneckin" was released 14 months after the 2002 JXL "A Little Less Conversation" single was released.

Was that not a quick follow up ?

The single stalled at #90 on the Billboard Hot 100.

These remixes or whatever you wanna call 'em only work if the idea is fresh and stays in contact with the original feel, intent and integrity of the song and singer to begin with.

They are basically a novelty, or a gimmick.

In today's fickle world of a Hot #1 song, it will be considered tomorrows forgotten oldie, and it'll all makes too much sense.
Plastic soul bruthaz and sistaz ...get it ? good!

14 months to me is a long time-but in todays pop world where artists take years to make a new release maybe to some it is not. Its an opinion.
You are right a remix (when the artist is dead) is a gimmick IMO gimmicks are used to grab an audience-whether its used in a commercial, or movie or recording. So a gimmick once in a while can be a good thing. If gimmicks did not work they would not be used in all these places. Elvis and the Col. used gimmicks during his career-including pictures in albums, contests for fan clubs, etc.....
Rubbernickin was not-IMO- the quality of ALLC. I was trying to point out that the remix ALLC -which hit big-was done outside the Sony/BMG structure. Rubberneckin was their try at doing it. I think when they are going to try and do these gimmicks it might be better "to go outside the box "
so to speak. That was my point.
And yes I do get it IMO
I will also add that you do seem to want to argue or provoke people-its not really necessary. If you do not see something the way some other member does great-but you don't have to word things as to make others mad. You don't like remakes thats your right-some of us see how they can be useful in keeping Elvis a little more in the younger crowds vision-thats our right.
Agree to disagree.