PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Aloha

SeeSeeRider777
08-02-2007, 01:50 AM
What's a matter with Elvis during this concert?

Joe Car
08-02-2007, 03:18 AM
Nothing, I thought he was awesome, with the exception of a few early mistakes, which were ironed out for the actual Aloha special, which was the point of the rehearsal show.

elvis himselvis
08-02-2007, 03:49 AM
I was thinking this too,because he had a strange look in his eyes.

Trev1
08-02-2007, 04:24 AM
Obviously took too many pills whether uppers or prescription I don't know - I did read it somewhere. In the footage of the press conferences before the show, wearing ann all white shuit, its very hard to watch with Elvis slurring most of his words and very obviously all doped up :'(

I have often wondered how he managed to sing at all during the concert as he could barely talk before it :hmm:

Danny Ocean
08-02-2007, 05:32 AM
Elvis wasn't stoned or took any pills when he did the alternate aloha. He had a nice tan and he was in a good shape. Elvis was very nervous during the show. Remember how he stood behind the curtain in That's the way it is. Waiting to go on stage, and when he was he smiled from nervousness.. This time is was not a showroom or anything else. It was the world.

srj1967
08-02-2007, 06:25 AM
In the footage of the press conferences before the show, wearing ann all white shuit, its very hard to watch with Elvis slurring most of his words and very obviously all doped up :'(

I have often wondered how he managed to sing at all during the concert as he could barely talk before it :hmm:

Got news for you Trev1, that press conference you refer to was actually taped at the Hilton Hotel in Vegas after his show on September 4, 1972, five months before the Aloha show :angry:

And yes, he was clearly doped up and not in good shape.

Please try and get your dates and facts right before launching a tirade ...

srj1967
08-02-2007, 06:48 AM
Elvis wasn't stoned or took any pills when he did the alternate aloha.

A naive statement.

Elvis may not have been acting stoned, but he started taking pills in the 50s ... and never stopped. Of course he had pills in him when he did the Aloha shows.

During the Aloha period, he just had a better grip on his pill intake than the latter years.

srj1967
08-02-2007, 06:50 AM
What's a matter with Elvis during this concert?

What exactly do you mean?

Joe Car
08-02-2007, 06:51 AM
He was completely clean for the Aloha shows. He was a more like himself for the rehearsal, looser, more interaction with the crowd, for the show itself with so much on the line, ( the first world-wide broadcast via satellite ) he was completely focused.

srj1967
08-02-2007, 06:53 AM
He was completely clean for the Aloha shows.

"Completely clean" means that drugs were totally out of his system.

They were not - not since the 50s. But he was certainly focussed as you say, and was probably the "cleanest" he'd been in years.

And he certainly was never, ever as clean or focussed again after Aloha.

SeeSeeRider777
08-02-2007, 07:13 AM
What I mean is look at him when he starts singing See See Rider. I hate to say it but he looks high. He started to get better after he sung Fever.

srj1967
08-02-2007, 07:19 AM
I hate to say it but he looks high.

Technically speaking, as I discussed above, he was.

But, aside from him being quite nervous, I find that in both shows he's very much on the ball with no signs of drug problems, and very lucid.

Joe Car
08-02-2007, 07:27 AM
"Completely clean" means that drugs were totally out of his system.

They were not - not since the 50s. But he was certainly focussed as you say, and was probably the "cleanest" he'd been in years.

And he certainly was never, ever as clean or focussed again after Aloha.

If we're splitting hairs, then you are right.

SeeSeeRider777, nobody could sing that great, and be "high," I don't care who they are. Sonny West said that he stopped taking meds while preparing for the Aloha. No way was Elvis going to embarrass himself in front of the whole world!

SeeSeeRider777
08-02-2007, 07:52 AM
True he wouldnt want to embarass himself in front of the whole world. But what is the explanation for slurring See See Rider, messing up the lyrics for Burning Love, Something, My Way, Steamroller Blues, Welcome to My World? But he did do Cant Help Falling in Love better here than in the live show.

Joe Car
08-02-2007, 08:37 AM
True he wouldnt want to embarass himself in front of the whole world. But what is the explanation for slurring See See Rider, messing up the lyrics for Burning Love, Something, My Way, Steamroller Blues, Welcome to My World? But he did do Cant Help Falling in Love better here than in the live show.

It was a rehearsal show, mistakes were made, even the guy playing the flute hit an off-key note for Trilogy. Keep in mind, they hadn't done a live show since Nov 18th of 1972, which was almost two months earlier, in Hawaii as a matter of fact. The rehearsal show was an excellent idea, and after a few early mistakes, EP was back in the groove, thus his mistake free performance for the aired special itself.

srj1967
08-02-2007, 08:41 AM
The rehearsal show was an excellent idea, and after a few early mistakes, EP was back in the groove, thus his mistake free performance for the aired special itself.

Actually, he came in four bars too early at the beginning of It's Over during the worldwide telecast.

Look carefully in the background, and you'll see Joe Guercio madly scrambling to make sure the band gets back on the right note ...

toffe
08-02-2007, 09:30 AM
Actually, he came in four bars too early at the beginning of It's Over during the worldwide telecast.

Look carefully in the background, and you'll see Joe Guercio madly scrambling to make sure the band gets back on the right note ...

I saw it, i have never seen this before! :blush:, but when exactly did Elvis started with the drugs? In the Army?

Sorry my "Good" English! (y)

Joe Car
08-02-2007, 09:50 AM

If that's all he did wrong, in front of a billion to billion and a half people, then I'd say that's as good as it gets! He nailed number after number that night, putting on a singing clinic!

srj1967
08-02-2007, 09:52 AM
I saw it, i have never seen this before! :blush:, but when exactly did Elvis started with the drugs? In the Army?

Sorry my "Good" English! (y)

He definitely used uppers etc in the army. There are some who suggest he used stuff like that earlier in his career, but I don't know if those stories are really true.

But let us not turn this thread into another "Oh no, Elvis was ill he was only self-medicating, the poor baby" versus "Elvis took drugs. Live with it" type of thread ... !

Your English is good enough to get your point across. Don't worry. (y)

toffe
08-02-2007, 09:57 AM
i was just a little unsure about that i asked about the drugs, because in the movie "Walk the Line" Elvis is aksing Johnny Cash to try some pills, because he gets more energy..etc..etc..you know! and that was before the army? maybe i am wrong? ...but as you are saying..he used drugs...live with it, we can`t do anything with it now!:blush:

Danny Ocean
08-02-2007, 10:18 AM
"Elvis wanted to show the people around the world the best side of himself. He wanted to do a show without messages or songs he just did because the people liked it. He sang the songs he liked and wanted that the people saw him as a performer, not a rock'n'roll singer.

In '72 he did several shows in Hawaii, and he get a kick out of that. When he did Aloha he told me and the guys that he wanted to bring himself up again, in a phychical way. Sometimes I saw him took pills or any other medicines. The time of the concert, even weeks before I didn't saw him do that. He was in a topcondition and we had so much fun in those days. But after that, he just went downhill again.. 'Cause he was at the top because of Aloha. So things coudn't go better.. he thought..' Linda Thompson 1983

08-02-2007, 10:29 AM
"Elvis wanted to show the people around the world the best side of himself. He wanted to do a show without messages or songs he just did because the people liked it. He sang the songs he liked and wanted that the people saw him as a performer, not a rock'n'roll singer.

In '72 he did several shows in Hawaii, and he get a kick out of that. When he did Aloha he told me and the guys that he wanted to bring himself up again, in a phychical way. Sometimes I saw him took pills or any other medicines. The time of the concert, even weeks before I didn't saw him do that. He was in a topcondition and we had so much fun in those days. But after that, he just went downhill again.. 'Cause he was at the top because of Aloha. So things coudn't go better.. he thought..' Linda Thompson 1983

Yeah and apparently after the real Aloha From Hawaii they were all eman to go out to the Pearl Harbour Memorial with Elvis. But he had taken some stuff after the show and wasn't able to go. Such a shame.

Trev1
08-02-2007, 10:39 AM
Got news for you Trev1, that press conference you refer to was actually taped at the Hilton Hotel in Vegas after his show on September 4, 1972, five months before the Aloha show :angry:

And yes, he was clearly doped up and not in good shape.

Please try and get your dates and facts right before launching a tirade ...

I stand to be corrected then.... okay the press conference may have been 4 months before but I still suspect he was on something for the rehersal, he looked a bit under the influence to me. Some friends of mine have watched it and agreed :hmm:

Anyway whats this about getting your facts right ? I didnt know you had to be an expert on absolutely everything to use this forum :!:

And I would not call my post a TIRADE !! :angry:

I just come on this forum to meet and get to know other Elvis fans, but to be honest i'm getting quite sick of agressive reponses from posters like you

srj1967
08-02-2007, 11:31 AM
I just come on this forum to meet and get to know other Elvis fans, but to be honest i'm getting quite sick of agressive reponses from posters like you

Whatever, dude ... ;)

Danny Ocean
08-02-2007, 11:57 AM
SRJ1967 just be nice to Trev1. Every Elvisfan is an friend.

Burning_Love
08-02-2007, 12:07 PM
Elvis looked Good, acted differently. He didn't move around much and his voice was at a higher pitch. Of course, he was high, high on drugs (prescribed). We all know that. Great concert though, and very very famous. But he was on drugs, well i think, and you can tell, like Toffe said..Live with it ! Elvis did some stupid things.
I think he took them because he was nervous, i mean it was to be shown via satellite to 40 countries...whhooaa i would be nervous !

toffe
08-02-2007, 12:14 PM
Elvis looked Good, acted differently. He didn't move around much and his voice was at a higher pitch. Of course, he was high, high on drugs (prescribed). We all know that. Great concert though, and very very famous. But he was on drugs, well i think, and you can tell, like Toffe said..Live with it ! Elvis did some stupid things.
I think he took them because he was nervous, i mean it was to be shown via satellite to 40 countries...whhooaa i would be nervous !

Yeah, i agree with you Burning_love(y)

Joe Car
08-02-2007, 12:24 PM

C'mon guys, from all accounts, Elvis did not do drugs during this Aloha stretch, this from people who were with him 24/7, especially Linda Thompson. The guy looked awesome in both the rehearsal and main show and sang brilliantly, which was his goal. Don't you think that Sonny and Red, would have said as much in their book, had he been "high" for these shows! Next, we'll be saying that he was "high" during every great moment in his career.

Joe Car
08-02-2007, 12:33 PM
i was just a little unsure about that i asked about the drugs, because in the movie "Walk the Line" Elvis is aksing Johnny Cash to try some pills, because he gets more energy..etc..etc..you know! and that was before the army? maybe i am wrong? ...but as you are saying..he used drugs...live with it, we can`t do anything with it now!:blush:

There is no such evidence to suggest that Elvis gave Johnny Cash any pills. Elvis was given uppers from his Seargent in the army, in 1958,59. That boundless energy from the mid-fifties, was strictly all Elvis. Just keep in mind, doctors were prescribing speed or uppers for years, even for people who had a weight problem. Truck drivers were notorious for taking these to stay awake for long periods of time. Now of course everything has changed, for the better.

srj1967
08-02-2007, 12:38 PM
Anyway whats this about getting your facts right ? I didnt know you had to be an expert on absolutely everything to use this forum :!:

Apologies if I was curt, it's just that the way you talked about Elvis stoned at the press conference, it sounded like you were putting s**t on him (and the impression from the post I got was that you were looking down on him for being out of it just before the Aloha show, when the conference was months before).

So, from both our points of view, written threads such as this, like emails, tend to lose their nuance, and points are missed on both sides.

A misunderstanding, I feel ... ;)

toffe
08-02-2007, 12:41 PM
There is no such evidence to suggest that Elvis gave Johnny Cash any pills. Elvis was given uppers from his Seargent in the army, in 1958,59. That boundless energy from the mid-fifties, was strictly all Elvis. Just keep in mind, doctors were prescribing speed or uppers for years, even for people who had a weight problem. Truck drivers were notorious for taking these to stay awake for long periods of time. Now of course everything has changed, for the better.

Okei, thanks for info!:D

Trev1
08-02-2007, 12:44 PM
Whatever, dude ... ;)

I agreed with your point and sorry for getting the dates mixed up :'(

Regardless of pills or no pills they were great concerts (y)

Trev1
08-02-2007, 12:46 PM
Apologies if I was curt, it's just that the way you talked about Elvis stoned at the press conference, it sounded like you were putting s**t on him (and the impression from the post I got was that you were looking down on him for being out of it just before the Aloha show, when the conference was months before).

So, from both our points of view, written threads such as this, like emails, tend to lose their nuance, and points are missed on both sides.

A misunderstanding, I feel ... ;)

Hey sorry bout that....I assure you I am as big as Elvis fan as there is... didnt mean to offend. and its no problem.... are we okay then? (y)

srj1967
08-02-2007, 12:57 PM
Hey sorry bout that....I assure you I am as big as Elvis fan as there is... didnt mean to offend. and its no problem.... are we okay then? (y)

Cool ... (y)(y)

ruggishboo
08-02-2007, 09:16 PM
Ever since I first watched the Alternate Aloha concert on video many years ago, I couldn't quite figure out why Elvis seemed different compared to the actual satellite show. Perhaps he was stoned; it would explain some of it. My own opinion is that he was tired. The man had lost a good deal of weight in about a six week time period thanks to a double dose of that insane crash diet Sonny West and him had went on. He also seemed slightly bloated at this concert than the actual telecast. Just my perception. As far as fumbling with the lyrics to some of the songs, I agree with another poster, it had been nearly two months since the last tour in November, and several of the songs in the show were not on his typical setlist, so a small amount of rust was to be expected. The whole purpose of the concert was to be a full dress rehearsal for the satellite broadcast, and to have a taped backup in case the real deal messed up for some reason. It served its purpose well. Overall, I like the satellite show better, if only because it was more polished and he looked and sang great (plus I've seen it about 20 more times)...

rickb
08-03-2007, 04:30 AM
My understanding is that he was `clean' during the shows and in the lead-up to them
why do people have to always come back to drugs when discussing Elvis?
rick

08-03-2007, 05:17 AM
C'mon guys, from all accounts, Elvis did not do drugs during this Aloha stretch, this from people who were with him 24/7, especially Linda Thompson. The guy looked awesome in both the rehearsal and main show and sang brilliantly, which was his goal. Don't you think that Sonny and Red, would have said as much in their book, had he been "high" for these shows! Next, we'll be saying that he was "high" during every great moment in his career.

Yes according to everyone who was with him he was clean for BOTH Aloha shows.

Following the Satellite show he went back on the pills.

thehillbillycat
08-03-2007, 10:59 AM
Yes according to everyone who was with him he was clean for BOTH Aloha shows.

Following the Satellite show he went back on the pills.

All the bodygurads, band members and friends have said that he wasn't on the drugs during the Aloha shows. He also had the crash diet to slim down some. I think that is why he looked the way he did.

nashville cat
08-03-2007, 11:12 AM
The rehearsal concert was worth it if only because the version of "Steamroller Blues" performed trumps the version from the actual broadcast by a country mile.

toffe
08-03-2007, 11:51 AM
The rehearsal concert was worth it if only because the version of "Steamroller Blues" performed trumps the version from the actual broadcast by a country mile.

What do you mean Nashville cat?

nashville cat
08-03-2007, 12:16 PM
Forgive me for using a regional expression in that way! To my ears, the "Steamroller" performance from the rehearsal concert has a fire to it that the actual broadcast version lacked. Both very good performances, but the rehearsal version has that little bit extra that puts it over the top.

my boy
08-03-2007, 01:00 PM
I don't think there's much to choose between both shows,they are both fantastic in my eyes.Elvis had his hair cut for the main show because he didn't like the way it looked for the rehearsal,maybe that's why he looked a bit puffier in the face.

Many of the rehearsal performances I actual prefer ie,"Steamroller Blues," "Something" is a very good version, and a rockin' [although short] "Hound Dog" with great, James Burton WAH WAH GUITAR

One of the absolute highlights is, "What Now My Love" just listen to the King's voice - just soar towards the end of the song - this version just pips the main broadcast show.[only just]

Another highlight is, "Fever" this as got to be the best version even though the Aloha main show's is oustanding too."Suspicious Minds" is great also when he does that karate stance at the end.Just fantastic!

"American Trilogy" is a good version and "A Big Hunk O' Love" really rocks even harder on the rehearsal show."I Can't Help Falling In Love" is worth watching for the fantastic cape sequence when Elvis drops to his knees and shows the crowd the cape in all its - iconic American Eagle glory.

Like I said there's not much to choose between the concerts - just enjoy both and roll on the BLU-RAY version.:clap::clap:

toffe
08-04-2007, 07:02 AM
Forgive me for using a regional expression in that way! To my ears, the "Steamroller" performance from the rehearsal concert has a fire to it that the actual broadcast version lacked. Both very good performances, but the rehearsal version has that little bit extra that puts it over the top.

ohh..i understand...yeah..maybe:hmm:

Joe Car
08-04-2007, 07:31 AM
I don't think there's much to choose between both shows,they are both fantastic in my eyes.Elvis had his hair cut for the main show because he didn't like the way it looked for the rehearsal,maybe that's why he looked a bit puffier in the face.

Many of the rehearsal performances I actual prefer ie,"Steamroller Blues," "Something" is a very good version, and a rockin' [although short] "Hound Dog" with great, James Burton WAH WAH GUITAR

One of the absolute highlights is, "What Now My Love" just listen to the King's voice - just soar towards the end of the song - this version just pips the main broadcast show.[only just]

Another highlight is, "Fever" this as got to be the best version even though the Aloha main show's is oustanding too."Suspicious Minds" is great also when he does that karate stance at the end.Just fantastic!

"American Trilogy" is a good version and "A Big Hunk O' Love" really rocks even harder on the rehearsal show."I Can't Help Falling In Love" is worth watching for the fantastic cape sequence when Elvis drops to his knees and shows the crowd the cape in all its - iconic American Eagle glory.

Like I said there's not much to choose between the concerts - just enjoy both and roll on the BLU-RAY version.:clap::clap:

Well said! Just to add a bit, Elvis was literally beaming during the rehearsal show, even my daughter when watching this with me, mentioned his incredible charisma.