PDA

View Full Version : What Does Elvis Mean To You?

Jumpsuit Junkie
08-03-2004, 05:29 PM
I know that everyone on here likes Elvis (Obviously) but lets put a little bit of background information on how we became fans and share some happy memories!

For me it was back in 1977 on August 16th, I was just 8 years old, the news on the television annouced the death of Elvis and I was intriegued, I saw the expression on my Mothers face, she was upset, I asked why? and she explained that this man was called the King Of Rock 'n' Roll and it was shocking and unexpected. as I have got older and the more I have learned about Elvis I could see why this came as a shock to my Mother, Elvis had not really been seen by the British public on T.V. since the Aloha From Hawaii Concert, and seeing Elvis on the news and more recent pictures of Elvis looking Ill came as a shock.

As the news reader continued throught the life of Elvis and his achievements I was more and more drawn in, I especially liked the Aloha From Hawaii clips and wanted to see more and find out more!

My Mother took me to town the next saturday where we went to a record shop, we bought two records "Good Luck Charm" and "Way Down" Boy could this man sing, I loved both singles and played them non stop for weeks, this seemed to help my Mother see that new records where needed (Partly due to the fact the ones I had were driving her insance and partly due to my nagging for new material) the first album I had was a compilation which had "Return To Sender" and "Girls, Girls, Girls" the later song was of particular interest as I was just becoming aware of girls and the thought of girls in bikinis and wiggling by was very interesting.

During the summer holidays Elvis films were played almost daily, this was when I really got to see the man behind the voice.

I suppose It can be hard to explain why and how you became an Elvis fan, people seem to look at you in a strange way because its all or nothing, a kind of relgion. When I tell people that I have a web site the just look at me in a strange way, none of this matters because for me the pleasure I get from the music, DVD's etc is not effected by the passage of time, it seems to grow stronger.

4THEHEART
08-03-2004, 06:20 PM
Hi Everyone !
I'm New Here So This Means I'm A Bit Late Finding The Way Here.. ;)
I Was 10 When He Died And Wasn't A Fan Yet.it Only Took A Year To Realize For Me What Did I Miss.the First Record I Had Was As Recorded Live At Msg Lp And Moody Blue Followed This.and When I Realized What A Unique Person He Was With A Biggest Heart Ever Known,he Became The 5th Member Of Our Family.can't Think A Life Without His Helping And Inspiring Spirit.god Bless Him..

boogie
08-03-2004, 09:55 PM
well Matt, that's right, the feeling you have being an Elvis fan, is hard to explain.
My mother still tells me, that i was imitating Elvis when i was 5 or 6 years old. :)
My uncle was an elvis fan, not as big as we are now, but i can remember he had a great picture in his livingroom. At that time my mother was going to a wedding, and i was with my grandparents. that evening it was a broadcast on belgian tv , guess what, right,the aloha special.
I think , that evening, it was a click in my head :wiggle: The LP "Aloha", was my first Elvis collectible, my father gave it to me. I played it a hundred times. From then on, it started.....Later i become a member of the belgian fanclub, (Steve will know the club as well i think), then the bootlegs came (i went completely nuts with all that, if you know what i mean), and so on....
Today, it feels just great to be an Elvis fan, and I thank him for all the music he gave us, "his godgiven talent he shared with the world". and i thank you all for being a part of that...
ps, thanks to the owners of this site, great great job
(y)

Scottishthistle
08-04-2004, 02:54 AM
Well my Grandma my dad my mum and my brother and ofcourse me are all Elvis daft! my grandma tells me when i was a baby i would cry sooo much when i was going through teething and stuff..but when she played Elvis on her record player i was quiet and smiled ..dont know if thats true or not but its kinda cool.

Anyway what does he mean to me..the same that he means to all of the fans here im sure.. a fabulous entertainer ,an absolute legend with a huge heart & an amazing personality...he was soo good looking i mean i watched the comeback special yesterday (again) i was glad i was alone ..because... i swear to god i was drooling everywhere :P :worthy:

pacer
08-04-2004, 04:07 AM
for someone who doesnt have a scanner you sure can put up an awesome picture huh...

Always fresh Always Exciting Always Elvis
THIS IS ELVIS
THE OFFICIAL ELVIS FAN CLUB OF EDINBURGH

PACER ;) :D

Lonniebealestreet
08-04-2004, 08:14 AM
Great posts here, everybody.

4THEHEART, welcome to the big, freaky TCB-World. ;) Love that avatar. I see you're an artist; would that be your own work?

What does Elvis mean to me? You know, I'm just gonna lay it all on the line here. You all really don't know me, so it does no good to say that I am actually a very reasonable, well-balanced person and this one aspect of my personality is the one rare exception to that rule. But I'll try and impress that upon you anyway. Anyway, in Elvis, I value all the things which everyone here does, I am sure. But the perhaps extreme aspect is that I think of Elvis as like a brother. I have not deluded myself into believing that I know who he was that well, but it feels like that regardless. I don't think it is just from watching all the movies, playing all the songs, reading the books, looking at all the pics, discussing every last detail of his life with people, etc. The cumulative effect of all that exposure plays a role, but I think the one thing which conveys that sense more than anything else is just something in his voice. Whether I listen to one song or five hundred songs, there is just something that comes across which exudes this strange sense of familiarity--and it's been that way since I first discovered his music. I think that is due in large part to the way Elvis would project feeling into his singing; many people have expressed that they feel like Elvis was singing to/for them, and I think that stems from his singing with emotion. (People have made such a statement about other singers too, I know, but I think in the case of Elvis, I think it goes beyond simply his being people's favorite singer and therefore they dream that up.) But it's so much more than that too, and I sure can't put my finger on it.

Scottishthistle
08-04-2004, 09:11 AM
for someone who doesnt have a scanner you sure can put up an awesome picture huh...

Always fresh Always Exciting Always Elvis
THIS IS ELVIS
THE OFFICIAL ELVIS FAN CLUB OF EDINBURGH

PACER ;) :D

pacer honey indeed i do not have a scanner...but i do have some nice Elvis pictures as i get sent them all the time from contacts and so on ....

so ......... :P

4THEHEART
08-04-2004, 11:08 AM
Thank you Lonnie and all ,for the nice welcome!
yes it is my artwork..Actually Elvis himself a great piece of art.. ;)

Lonniebealestreet
08-04-2004, 11:22 AM
You're welcome. That's very impressive. (y) If you have any more you'd like to share with us, please feel free to post it in the Other Artwork subforum of the Artwork Zone.

4THEHEART
08-04-2004, 12:26 PM
Ok! I Will..thanks Again..

NightRider
08-04-2004, 12:43 PM
Welcome 4THEHEART (y) Nice work.

Elvis...that one word...so well known throughout the world. He has been in my life since 1976. Only a youngster then, just beggining to enjoy music. I have always liked it...but even then...it moved me.

At the time i can't even remember how many Lp's i had. I would guess seven or eight. Using whatever pocket money i would get for magazines, elvis monthlies and when i had enough...and could find them...Lp's.

All these years later...and the man sadly long past away and still his music moves me. Its hard to explain, it just has such an effect when i listen to elvis.

Elvis collecting is a passion second to none. There is such a variation of styles...some prefer different parts of his career. Me, i just like it all. And without out it....i really don't know what i would do with all my time.

It does annoy the wife. Even though she knew what she was getting just seeing my collection. She says obsession...and yes to a certain extent i suppose it is. Hours spent...either designing artwork...doing the site or simply relaxing listening to the man. I can think of nothing better. (well i can :blink: but thats another story ;) )

But on monday it was our 20th anniversary...so i guess my elvis obsession can't be that bad after all :D

Lonniebealestreet
08-04-2004, 02:10 PM
NightRider,

Your another story and the wonderful world of Elvis can be brought together, you know...or perhaps not. Anyway, that's another forum. ;) Happy anniversary.

Its hard to explain, it just has such an effect when i listen to elvis.You are someone who gets it. Not that I didn't know that already, but it is made obvious by your struggling to articulate it, just as I'm about to do.

The effect can really be profound at times, so much so that--though I love to jam to Elvis in the car or wherever--listening to his music or watching a concert or whatever sometimes seems like a private, personal thing. It's hard to explain, indeed...It is not a passive experience to listen to or watch Elvis--not for me, anyway. By that I mean both that I get something out of it, and that I cannot be inattentive when I have Elvis playing.

Still not explaining this very well...

Jumpsuit Junkie
08-04-2004, 02:37 PM
I cannot be inattentive when I have Elvis playing.

Yeah I know I shouldn't mention inpersonators but when there is a good tune going on I look like a cheap impersonator, not that anyone ever see's (y)

Cherokee
08-04-2004, 03:23 PM
I know that everyone on here likes Elvis (Obviously) but lets put a little bit of background information on how we became fans and share some happy memories!

For me it was back in 1977 on August 16th, I was just 8 years old, ...

Good subject. :hmm: Mine is quite a long story, but I'll try to condense it a bit ;) I have a much (17 years) older half sister who'd drag my mom, her step-mom to be, to the theater each time a new Elvis movie was released. My mom is a classical music fan so she didn't think all that much of it, but didn't dislike it either. :) After my birth, my earliest Elvis memories were from the time I was a toddler and my big sis was playing Elvis records on her little plastic record player. :P
She married and moved, not too far, away, started her own family. I must've subconsciously picked up the Elvis bug because from a very early age on I could recognize Elvis songs on the radio or his pictures in magazines. I even knew the lyrics to his more popular songs! :lmfao:
The news of his death arrived on either the first or second day of the new schoolyear. I didn't catch everything the radio newscaster said, just that it was about Elvis and that he'd mentioned his age. I thought I had to remember to call my sis after school in case she'd missed it. Each day I'd bike to school with a girl whose mom was also an Elvis fan and I still remember that she greeted me with "Did you hear Elvis died?" instead of "Good morning!". At school EVERYBODY was talking about Elvis and slowly it dawned on me that Elvis apparently was more than just the favorite singer of my sis!
Much later in the eighties I had a VCR before my sis and she asked me to tape all the memorials for her. At first I was going to give her the tapes (after she'd bought a VCR) but I liked them so much, that I gave her copies! :P I'd already begun saving everything about Elvis from magazines etc. since about 1975.

So, I think you can say I was sort of "spoon fed" Elvis from the cradle on ;) :P

What he means to me is that he's made music to fit every mood. Somehow, and I think many of his fans have this, he radiates something that gives you the feeling you know him, understand him, at least up to some level. With all his trials and tribulations, his flaws and weaknesses, he became someone I/we can identify with, regardless of all the greatness he achieved that most of us will never achieve. He still feels like "one of us".

Mez
08-04-2004, 03:24 PM
I was only a year old when Elvis died, and although my mum was a fan, she never really imposed it upon me...I remember being about 10 or 11 (I think it was the 10 year anniversary of his death) and there was loads of stuff on the tv- I remember sitting up watching it with my mum being totally fascinated by him!!!!! a year or so later, I was in the video shop and they had the 68 Comeback Special, and I rented it....and never looked back really!!!!...infact I rented that video so much that they let me keep it :D

NightRider
08-04-2004, 05:02 PM
Happy anniversary....

Thanks Bobby (y)

NightRider,

Your another story and the wonderful world of Elvis can be brought together, you know...or perhaps not. Anyway, that's another forum. ;) ...

:blink: I know mate ;) :P

Elena/The Russian EP Fan Club
08-05-2004, 03:57 AM
I became a true Elvis fan at age 16 when for the first time heard his beautiful voice When I heard first tunes of "Are You Lonesome Tonight?" I've been a fan from that moment. It was a love from the first sound of his precious voice! It was an audio cassette with Elvis' greatest love songs which I bought that day, my first cassette with Elvis' songs. And I was so thrilled by Elvis, by his voice that I heard the cassette all that evening and all night long. And my first Elvis photo I seen was the photo on that cassette. And man on that photo was so handsome so great!
Then my friend gave me on my birthday my first Elvis' video. It was "Aloha from Hawaii". OMG I was SO happy!! I saw it all my birthday and then all days .... I saw that fantastic show almost thousand times :D
Then I start buy Elvis cassettes, CD's, Videos... Then books, photos... Then bootlegs... Then I became a member of russian Elvis Presley fan club... Then I met my husband because our love for Elvis. Then I became a vice-president of our fan club. Then... I came on this board ;) :D

Elvis is very much a part of my life. I think Elvis is the greatest entertainer in the world, extremely talented singer, great actor, great human being.

Elvos
08-06-2004, 08:02 AM
He means a world to me ....after 27 years still does...Can't get him out of my system...Not that I want him to be......

I was not raised relligius...but this is as close as it gets I think....:worthy:

julieann
08-06-2004, 09:32 AM
howdy,

I am new here too. I first got 'into' Elvis back in Easter 1990, when my Mum taped the documentary 'This is Elvis' for me.

I just love him, full stop. :clap:

kakeli
08-07-2004, 09:52 PM
Boy how does someone answer that question? But I will try, in 1968 I was 4 years old and my mother says that I did not sit still through what is now known as the comeback special. She says that I was mesmerized and that I danced every minute of it and even cried when it was over. From that day on she said I seem to light up whenever she played his music and that I would want her to play it over and over. Then when I was 7 which was 1971, we were on vacation in Las Vegas and my parents surprised me with tickets!!! I couldn't believe it, we sat up front near the stage and I even got to give Elvis a kiss!!!! I remember the feeling in that room was one that I have never felt since. There was such a feeling of life and you knew that what you had witnessed was nothing short of greatness and you felt privileged and you actually could feel how much Elvis felt for his fans. His eyes twinkled everytime he smiled that beautiful smile which seem to light up the whole place. It is truely something that I will never forget. I remember the night the Aloha from Hawaii special was on television, and as I watched I saw Elvis, but I saw a differant Elvis, he wasn't the same as when I had seen him in Las Vegas. Although I still thought the show and he was great the twinkle was missing and that made me sad because at that time I did not understand. I was 13 years old when the news came about his death. I sat infront of the television in tears. I like many could not believe that it was true, and I watched as the line of white cars followed Elvis one last time. At that point I wanted to know what happened, I wanted to know where the twinkle went and why, so I made it a passion of mine to find out. Now at the age of 40 I probably know as much about Elvis as possibly can be known, and it all made me love him more. Not because of what he did for a living but because of who he was and why he did it. I think it is a real shame that sooooo many people were there yet he felt so alone, and I think the saddest thing is that if anyone would have truely cared about what he wanted and believed in it may have made a difference. So I guess for me all I can say is that Elvis is music itself!!!!!!

kakeli

E.L.V.I.S
08-07-2004, 10:26 PM
what does elvis mean to me ?..........EVERYTHING (y) ,no more needs to be said :worthy:

Elvis' Babe
08-07-2004, 11:56 PM
he is a friend when i havent a friend in the world. his voice is always reassuring and his presence makes one feel good inside. he is soothes my soul, gives me hope and happiness when i have none. he makes me happy and feel joy i dont really usually feel. and in parts of his life, i cry right along with him. only voice and story that has truly brought me to tears. he was a good warm-hearted beautiful soul that i just cant help but love and wish i had met.

he was a part of my childhood and now hes a huge part of my life.

i love him and miss him with all my heart. :'( :'( :'( and i feel truly deprived at never being able to tell him how he has helped my mind feel peace.

Cherokee
08-08-2004, 04:21 AM
Boy how does someone answer that question? But I will try, in 1968 I was 4 years old and my mother says that I did not sit still through what is now known as the comeback special. She says that I was mesmerized and that I danced every minute of it and even cried when it was over. From that day on she said I seem to light up whenever she played his music and that I would want her to play it over and over. Then when I was 7 which was 1971, we were on vacation in Las Vegas and my parents surprised me with tickets!!! I couldn't believe it, we sat up front near the stage and I even got to give Elvis a kiss!!!! I remember the feeling in that room was one that I have never felt since. There was such a feeling of life and you knew that what you had witnessed was nothing short of greatness and you felt privileged and you actually could feel how much Elvis felt for his fans. His eyes twinkled everytime he smiled that beautiful smile which seem to light up the whole place. It is truely something that I will never forget. I remember the night the Aloha from Hawaii special was on television, and as I watched I saw Elvis, but I saw a differant Elvis, he wasn't the same as when I had seen him in Las Vegas. Although I still thought the show and he was great the twinkle was missing and that made me sad because at that time I did not understand. I was 13 years old when the news came about his death. I sat infront of the television in tears. I like many could not believe that it was true, and I watched as the line of white cars followed Elvis one last time. At that point I wanted to know what happened, I wanted to know where the twinkle went and why, so I made it a passion of mine to find out. Now at the age of 40 I probably know as much about Elvis as possibly can be known, and it all made me love him more. Not because of what he did for a living but because of who he was and why he did it. I think it is a real shame that sooooo many people were there yet he felt so alone, and I think the saddest thing is that if anyone would have truely cared about what he wanted and believed in it may have made a difference. So I guess for me all I can say is that Elvis is music itself!!!!!!

kakeli

Beautifully said, Kakeli :clap: Especially the part about the twinkle in the eyes that was missing and how if anyone had really cared about him he wouldn't have always have felt so alone reminds me very much of my own reasons for trying to get to know as much as possible about him.

Although my big sis started out as the original Elvis fan in our family, I know she is more a superficial fan in a sense that she doesn't want to know the story behind the man. She is purely interested in the movies and the songs and to this day maintains that "he didn't change that much during his life, he only gained a bit more weight" :rolleyes: So, she started the fire for Elvis in me, I just took it a whole lot further :P
Thanks for sharing your memories and you are so lucky to have seen him live! (y)

kakeli
08-08-2004, 06:15 PM
Thanks Cherokee, I do know how very lucky, and privileged I was to see him live. The best part is that now my 9 year old daughter loves Elvis too, and that her love was built knowing the truth and not with some idea of the person people thought he should be but of the wonderful person he was. She says that simply Elvis was, is and always will be the king!!!!

kakeli

Elena/The Russian EP Fan Club
08-10-2004, 07:05 AM
he is a friend when i havent a friend in the world. his voice is always reassuring and his presence makes one feel good inside. he is soothes my soul, gives me hope and happiness when i have none. he makes me happy and feel joy i dont really usually feel. and in parts of his life, i cry right along with him. only voice and story that has truly brought me to tears. he was a good warm-hearted beautiful soul that i just cant help but love and wish i had met.

he was a part of my childhood and now hes a huge part of my life.

i love him and miss him with all my heart. :'( :'( :'( and i feel truly deprived at never being able to tell him how he has helped my mind feel peace.

Oh Elvis' Babe I understand your feelings
I feel the same way about Elvis. Absolutely.