PDA

View Full Version : An Elvis Statue At 3? Give me a break!

EP75
07-24-2007, 09:29 AM
I saw about this this morning on My Yahoo page and found it tacky and uselss and just someone trying to use EP to make a name for their own profits and to cash in on his fame. I bet Maurice Colgan is 100% behind this somehow. He always is when it comes to statues of EP, hence the EP at 13 statue in Tupelo.(n)
Below is a picture of what it will look like and the article.

http://www.elvisnews.com/images/misc/elvisat3.jpg

Michiel Van Der Sommen, the artist who also created the 13 year old Elvis statue, just announced that he is creating a new sculpture: Elvis at 3. The model is taken from the famous family portrait with Elvis posing as a toddler between his parents. This sculpture is just a pre-design. When and where the final sculpture is going to be released is not known at this moment.Source: ElvisMatters / Updated: Jul 24, 2007

Diane
07-24-2007, 09:32 AM
I don't think this statue looks like Elvis as a small child at all.

Diane

bittersuite
07-24-2007, 09:35 AM
I don't mind the Elvis at 13 statue, but I was surprised when I read about the Elvis at 3 statue. I think it's a bit much to make a statue of him when he was only 3. What else will they come up with next :supriced:

07-24-2007, 10:38 AM
This statue is all about the sculptor rather than Elvis. The people involved are looking for publicity for what they do in the hope of getting more orders to make more money.

From what is detailed about it, there hasn't even been a location picked for the statue!

I'm just glad EPE don't go around erecting statues on the Graceland lawn of Elvis.

Gerianne
07-24-2007, 10:47 AM
I thought I was seeing things when I seen the heading of this thread. A statue of Elvis at 3 - give me a break.
I don't mind Elvis Statues at all, but to do one of him at 3 - what is that about?

goodelvisgirl
07-24-2007, 10:58 AM
elvis at 3 come on what will it be next elvis as a new born baby i dont think it even looks like elvis

Shelly
07-24-2007, 11:21 AM
I agree with Goodelvisgirl it looks nothing like Elvis.

elvis himselvis
07-24-2007, 11:36 AM
I think it doens't matter from wich age an statue is,but I think,if you make a statue,it has to look like the person who it is,and this one doesn't look like him...so I said NO to this statue.

EP75
07-24-2007, 12:37 PM
Good points all around. However I do think if there is a need for a new statue then it should be at Graceland but one that defines EP's life and career and not just another publicity act or movement. I would love to see a 20 to 30 foot statue of EP as part of the redevelopment plans.

poormansgold76
07-24-2007, 12:55 PM
Know what I was At Football Hall and Fame, the bus of players heads , few them don't looking the real person, because it's ones are dead or don't have time have it done right , and statues don't really look alike real person.
If IKt's close to looking it's ok with me
Tom

Joe Car
07-24-2007, 01:42 PM
With the 30th anniversary of EP's death looming, they're all going to come out of the woodwork now.

EP4MEUK
07-24-2007, 01:53 PM
I really do not like the statue and as for the one at Tupelo it totally freaked me out ..those eyes :blink: I have never been very keen on such statues as I dont think the likeness is always complementary to the person..especially someone as handsome as ELVIS:king:

Susan x

Gerianne
07-24-2007, 02:03 PM
Good points all around. However I do think if there is a need for a new statue then it should be at Graceland but one that defines EP's life and career and not just another publicity act or movement. I would love to see a 20 to 30 foot statue of EP as part of the redevelopment plans.

I would like this too

07-25-2007, 12:21 PM
Of course EPE would hire a great sculptor and pay top dollar for a beautiful work of art should they decide to have a statue made.

This hideous figure is quite insulting to the memory of Elvis. Again people trying to use Elvis for their own benefit.

God knows what ***** commissioned/suggested such a thing.

Big thmubs down......I might buy a few and throw them at the impersonators during Elvis week though!!!!:clap::clap:

JDD
07-25-2007, 12:49 PM
I think Elvis at 3 looks more like Elvis at 3, from the photo its based on, then the
Elvis statue that used to be on Beale street and now stands in the welcome center (a decent one of BB King is in the same place) next to the Bridge and the river in Memphis does. I love statues as a way to honor people but the one in the welcome center doesn't resemble Elvis at all IMO.

Cally
07-25-2007, 12:53 PM
Well the idea came from a Lady in Ireland who's Husband is a bit of a controversial figure...well that's the story he's putting out anyway :P :D

Gerianne
07-25-2007, 01:51 PM
sounds like Maurice, lol

Jumpsuit Junkie
07-25-2007, 01:58 PM
I just don't understand why you would have a statue of Elvis at 3 years of age? What had Elvis accomplished at this age other than being a child of 3?

I agree with the poster who said that a statue that kind of makes a statement would be more appropriate. I would prefer something that resembled the 1969 press conference at the International Hotel than some bejewelled Jump suited Elvis which IMO (as much as I love them) just draws attention to an Image which draws reticule rather than praise.

Maurice...... why-o-why do you persist with such folly?

Holly
07-25-2007, 02:07 PM
I have to admit that i quite like this statue of a little boy, it looks kinda cute, but I agree with you all that it looks nothing like Elvis at 3.

LORRIELOVESELVIS
07-25-2007, 02:28 PM
I really like it.(y)

KPM
07-25-2007, 02:31 PM
They are unveiling the "Bronze Aloha Statue" in Honolulu tomorrow, the 26th, in front of the Convention center where the special was filmed. It was commishioned by TV Land to mark a great moment in television.

Diane
07-25-2007, 03:26 PM
I think putting up this statue is a great idea! It was one of Elvis' greatest moments and so is very fitting.

Diane

Tony Trout
07-25-2007, 03:49 PM
God knows what ***** commissioned/suggested such a thing.

Well the idea came from a Lady in Ireland who's Husband is a bit of a controversial figure...well that's the story he's putting out anyway :P :D

sounds like Maurice, lol

Ya'll must be readin' my mind because he's the first one I thought of who would propose something like this.....

jak
07-25-2007, 04:49 PM
Judging from the facial features of the statue I think it would look good sitting at the Roswell crash site.

Diane
07-25-2007, 06:15 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol:(y)

07-26-2007, 05:57 AM
Judging from the facial features of the statue I think it would look good sitting at the Roswell crash site.

lol :clap::clap:

goodelvisgirl
07-26-2007, 08:11 AM
elvis the aloha statue would look good i think as long as its done right it shows they are paying attention to his moment in history