06-12-2007, 06:32 AM
Last Sunday the TCB band were here in The Netherlands,
and asked 5 Euro for an autograph:hmm: Which is normal
in the States I think.
I bought the cd box "Pure Diamonds" and heard a song I never
heard before:'This is our dance'. Can anyone tell me more about
this song plz, I think I heard Charlie Hodge sing the second voice
on the track.

I also bought a book written by Larry Geller, anyone else read his book?

srj1967
06-12-2007, 06:38 AM
This Is Our Dance was originally released on the Love Letters From Elvis album. It was recorded in Nashville, June 6th 1970.

It's not a good song by any standards, and is a pale imitation of the far superior The Last Waltz, made famous by Englebert Humperdinck. It was one of the few duds, IMO, from the June '70 Nashville session, especially when compared to what else was recorded then.

As for Larry Geller, his book was interesting. But the way he made it out is that he was around Elvis all the time, which he wasn't. Basically, Larry is full of crap and always has been.

"Spiritual advisor" my *** ...

ajr
06-12-2007, 06:56 AM
Last Sunday the TCB band were here in The Netherlands,
and asked 5 Euro for an autograph:hmm: Which is normal
in the States I think.
I bought the cd box "Pure Diamonds" and heard a song I never
heard before:'This is our dance'. Can anyone tell me more about
this song plz, I think I heard Charlie Hodge sing the second voice
on the track.

I also bought a book written by Larry Geller, anyone else read his book?

Hey, I'm glad you enjoyed it !! I'm looking forward to hearing about it....
As to Geller's book....I haven't read it yet .:D

nashville cat
06-12-2007, 09:09 AM
This may be my least favorite Elvis song (not including movie songs). I actually like "Three Corn Patches" better. The overdubs Felton added represent a low point also.

The Love Letters From Elvis was a big let down after the hot LP streak he had since From Elvis in Memphis. There's still some things to like, but overall it was disappointing.

C.C.RiderTKC
06-13-2007, 06:42 AM
I actually like This is our dance and often thought it was under-rated. Guess i was right:D

Elvis_Priestly
06-13-2007, 07:35 AM
I like "This Is Our Dance" in a thoughtless dreamy way. It is schmaltzy and maybe more muzak than music but its a cheerful little ditty - I think it would be lovely at a wedding for the couple's first dance. Might recommend it to the couples I'm marrying this year instead of Wet Wet Wet "Love is All Around." :lmfao:

Larry Geller - don't even start me! :cursing: I don't pretend to cut hair, so wish he hadn't pretended to be a "spiritual advisor"

jak
06-13-2007, 07:53 AM
This may be my least favorite Elvis song (not including movie songs). I actually like "Three Corn Patches" better. The overdubs Felton added represent a low point also.

The Love Letters From Elvis was a big let down after the hot LP streak he had since From Elvis in Memphis. There's still some things to like, but overall it was disappointing.

You made a great observation.That lp was a real dud compared to his recent work.All the studio lp's for me were subpar after that.A good track or two on them but weak overall.
Jak

srj1967
06-13-2007, 08:02 AM
Very cool cover photos on the LP though ... but lousy graphic design overall! (n)

nashville cat
06-13-2007, 09:39 AM
Very cool cover photos on the LP though ... but lousy graphic design overall! (n)

Yes, I agree! love those photos! The rest of the concept was quite flawed though. It might have been a cute idea in 1957, but with everything else going on in music in '71, it was corny and outdated.

srj1967
06-13-2007, 09:43 AM
Yeah, and then the Colonel stepped in and said he didn't like the layout of the original LP and had it changed.

What would he know!! ;)

Wendy56
06-13-2007, 11:43 AM
A romantic song, isn't it? For me it doesn't sounds like 70s Elvis music. It has a particular sound, like waltz. :wub:

NightRider
06-13-2007, 11:45 AM
Always sounded good to my ears i must say (y)

Lisarose
06-13-2007, 09:17 PM
I like "This Is Our Dance" in a thoughtless dreamy way. It is schmaltzy and maybe more muzak than music but its a cheerful little ditty - I think it would be lovely at a wedding for the couple's first dance. Might recommend it to the couples I'm marrying this year instead of Wet Wet Wet "Love is All Around." :lmfao:

Larry Geller - don't even start me! :cursing: I don't pretend to cut hair, so wish he hadn't pretended to be a "spiritual advisor"

:lmfao: Oh, You make me laugh!:lmfao:
Sorry, don't care for Gellar either.
The song, not a bad one, not one that comes to mind first. "Love is All Around"? Is that still in vogue? I could sit through "This is Our Dance" but if I hear Wind Beneath my Wings (is that the name of that one?) at one more wedding Grand March. . . :angry: !

CRITTERGITTER
06-13-2007, 10:14 PM
Hi,

I'm new to all this. I really love Our Dance. It is so sweet and romantic. I could always see us dancing together as he sang to me. In my fantasy we would dance and when he finished singing, he would bow to me. Then he would pick me up, hold me in his arms and swing me around. See it only takes one simple song to create a nice dream.:clap: ;)