PDA

View Full Version : Confusing Elvis facts. What's Up?

Cherokee
07-27-2004, 03:01 PM
Over the decades I have read, viewed and heard tons of Elvis "facts" from various sources. Each time these facts are written down or expressed with certainty. Only thing is: they often vary between who's telling the fact, and sometimes they even vary between when the same person told the story :blink:

I'll name just a few.

1. The famed pink Caddilac Elvis bought for Gladys according to Scotty Moore totally burned out in the mid fifties. Yet at Graceland there's a pink Cadillac in display. Is that not the original one, or did he have it replaced?

2. The famed black leather suit of the '68 Comeback Special. I've heard director Steve Binder tell, I think somewhere in the late eighties, that Elvis was sweating so much in that suit that he had to be CUT OUT OF IT! That to me sounds like it was destroyed. But isn't a suit on display at Graceland? I gather that's a replica too? :hmm:

Another thing: we can all see he threw the Aloha cape into the audience and earlier gave his belt to one fan. Did the EP estate buy those back from the fans?

Curious Cherokee UGH ;)

Jumpsuit Junkie
07-28-2004, 04:13 AM
Three stories which I have found about the Aloha Cape:-

At the end of the show, Elvis removed this cape and hurled it into the audience. It was caught by Mr. Bruce Sprinks, a reporter of the Honolulu Advisor. The cape is now on display in the at Graceland.

The cape from the Aloha Eagle suit was thrown into the audience at the end of the Aloha from Hawaii concert on January 14, 1973. A fan caught it and sold it to a collector. Later, the collector donated it to the Elvis Presley estate.

The costume?s spectacular calf-length cape proved to be too cumbersome during rehearsals, so Elvis ordered a hip-length cape to replace it. A belt decorated with gold American eagles accented the ensemble. During the show, Elvis threw the belt into the audience and later threw the cape into the cheering crowd as he finished the closing song. Elvis ordered a second cape and belt for the jumpsuit and wore the outfit in later performances (So who has the Original)

Apparently there is a Aloha Jumpsuit In Las Vegas on display, perhaps someone can confirm the details!!

Hope this Helps :clap:

Cherokee
07-28-2004, 07:20 AM
Thank you so much, Matt. See, that's what I mean with the many versions of stories of what happened. That's the case with many things regarding Elvis. It all helps build the myth to even bigger proportions! ;)

All stories seem plausible and of course it would be very simple for him to order replicas of an item he liked. I also read several times that if he liked a particular shirt (for private use) he'd immediately order it in every available color (at least the colors he liked). :P

Cherokee
07-29-2004, 01:58 AM
Okay, one down, two more to go ;)

Does anyone know answers to the Cadillac and black leather '68 Comeback questions? :wiggle:

Garyv
07-30-2004, 04:10 AM
The Caddy Elvis bought for his mom (she didn't drive, BTW) is not the same car that burned up on the road. And as for the 68 Special suit, having to be "cut out" of it is merely hyperbole. Just an expression conveying how hard it was to peel that thing off. The suit in Graceland is the real deal

Cherokee
07-30-2004, 06:32 AM
The Caddy Elvis bought for his mom (she didn't drive, BTW) is not the same car that burned up on the road. And as for the 68 Special suit, having to be "cut out" of it is merely hyperbole. Just an expression conveying how hard it was to peel that thing off. The suit in Graceland is the real deal

:hmm: So I guess this means there were two pink Cadillacs.....

As far as the black leather '68 suit goes, another guy from his entourage said the same thing: the suit was "cut to pieces" because he could not take it off anymore..... I think it was his wardrobe flunky, was that Dick? :unsure:

julieann
08-10-2004, 07:17 AM
i am confused :hmm:

so does that mean that the pink caddy in the car museum opposite Graceland is not the car that Elvis bought his Mother in the fifties?

Cause Graceland say it is...

Help!

Cherokee
10-06-2004, 05:50 AM
Okay, some others (Cap, are you listening? ;) Hope you can shine your light on the following things).

Co-stars as well as Memphis Maffia and other "friends" of Elvis have stated repeatedly that "Elvis couldn't go anywhere without causing a riot". The infamous "What Happened" book relayed several examples of that, in interviews it is often uttered, I've even read several examples stating that he'd often hide "in the trunk of a/his car" when leaving or arriving somewhere..... :blink:
Bodyguards and friends have often stated that Elvis never went anywhere alone for security reasons and for the reason stated above.

But there are several instances where he apparently escaped. The first half of the trip to Washington to meet Nixon (it wasn't until he was there that he notified people apparently), the time he went for a drive in 1974 and happened upon a traffic accident, the time in 1976 where he stopped at a gas station to fill up his motor with gas and met fans there, the time he walked on a Hawaiian beach all by himself and some fans took an instant Kodak pic of him.......

So: was it truly just a myth that he never went anywhere "because his presence would start a mob/riot everywhere he went"?

Anyone? Perhaps more examples of his solitary trips? :hmm:

Cherokee
10-06-2004, 07:51 AM
Good topic..I started a fresh thread on this one...
TCB
Wade

For goodness sake WHY, Wade?????????? :rolleyes:

howardrobardhughes
10-06-2004, 08:21 AM
The title of this thread was " Confusing facts" regarding Pink Caddy and '68 comeback suit..
at the end of the thread...you brought up a interesting topic that I thought would be buried due to the title of the thread..
sorry...

Cherokee
10-06-2004, 08:28 AM
The title of this thread was " Confusing facts" regarding Pink Caddy and '68 comeback suit..
at the end of the thread...you brought up a interesting topic that I thought would be buried due to the title of the thread..
sorry...

No, the title of the thread is NOT "Confusing facts regarding the Pink Caddy and '68 Comeback suit". :rolleyes:
The title of the thread is: "Confusing Elvis facts. What's Up?' which in my opinion covers just about ANYTHING that's confusing regarding things to do with Elvis.... :!:

We don't want to pollute the board with too many single or two message threads, you know? :nono:

howardrobardhughes
10-06-2004, 11:12 AM
don't want to jam up the boards with useless threads..I deleted that ridiculous thread....TCB..Wade :worthy:

P.S. Annie
10-06-2004, 01:30 PM
:hmm: So I guess this means there were two pink Cadillacs.....

As far as the black leather '68 suit goes, another guy from his entourage said the same thing: the suit was "cut to pieces" because he could not take it off anymore..... I think it was his wardrobe flunky, was that Dick? :unsure:

No two pink cadillacs, a different car, can't remember rightaway which one. The one at Graceland is the real thing.

For the suit I heard one time they had to dry clean it in between shoots and another time I read they had different ones.

Captain Elwood David
10-06-2004, 05:38 PM
Quote:
"Over the decades I have read, viewed and heard tons of Elvis "facts" from various sources. Each time these facts are written down or expressed with certainty. Only thing is: they often vary between who's telling the fact, and sometimes they even vary between when the same person told the story .."

Embellishement, time, fading memory, self-promotion, and people re-telling the stories so many times with slight twists / turns - even inserting themself into situations that they were not present for are all reasons for variations of stories. Some "sources" are generally more "reliable" than others ......... and whom is & whom isn't can sometimes be quite ironic. Those that were there all want to believe that they were #1 in EP's eyes, .............. so they can also re-tell their own stories for the fans so that they were #1 in the storyline. I suppose a lot of it is human nature. Sometimes it is done innocently, other times it is also done with an agenda.

----------------------------

Quote:
"1. The famed pink Caddilac Elvis bought for Gladys according to Scotty Moore totally burned out in the mid fifties. Yet at Graceland there's a pink Cadillac in display. Is that not the original one, or did he have it replaced?"

Entirely different Car, not the famous pink one.

Quote:
"2. The famed black leather suit of the '68 Comeback Special. I've heard director Steve Binder tell, I think somewhere in the late eighties, that Elvis was sweating so much in that suit that he had to be CUT OUT OF IT! That to me sounds like it was destroyed. But isn't a suit on display at Graceland? I gather that's a replica too? "

Graceland's is THE suit, IMO. Have heard it was repaired, but am skeptical of both this story & generally Binder's versions of a number of things.

Quote:
"Another thing: we can all see he threw the Aloha cape into the audience and earlier gave his belt to one fan. Did the EP estate buy those back from the fans?"

There were two versions of the Aloha cape at the time:

1. The LONG Aloha cape (never worn in concert) was sold by EPE in 1999 for $80,000 USD. It is in private hands.

2. Another short version .......... the ALOHA WORN cape changed hands a number of times amongst private collectors, before being bequeathed back to EPE (with certain stipulations) from The Estate of Andrew Kern. Graceland's is THE original & real deal.

There were supposedly additional Aloha capes made later on, ........ with EP / Vernon gifting them to Ed Parker & The Hilton ......... respectively. These types of stories / versions are changing with time --------> which, IMO, simply means one should take them with a grain-of-salt. Probably elements of TRUTH to be sure and it is yet another reason for slighly differing versions of well-known stories.

The ALOHA WORN concert belt is in private hands. EP had other similar belts made, but they are slightly different than the Aloha worn one.

---------------------------

Hope this helps a bit, .......... for various reasons, I had initially lost track of this thread.

- Capt. "EL."

Jungleroom76
10-06-2004, 06:28 PM
Have to agree with the Captain on the '68 Comeback Leather Suit....as far as we know, it is the original suit. When The Travel Channel and The Discovery Channels did their retrospectives on Graceland and Memphis a couple of years ago, they talked about the special warehouses where they store all of Elvis' things. During the TV specials, they actually showed one of the archivists doing a "condition report" on the black leather suit, and she was wearing white gloves while doing the inspection....based on this, I have to believe that the suit that is on display at Graceland is the real deal....why else would they be doing a condition report on a replica, being so careful as to wear white gloves? If it was a replica, I highly doubt they would be THAT careful with it! (This of course leads to the next logical question....if EPE is being SO careful of Elvis' clothing that they are insisting that the archivists wear white gloves during the inspections, then why on Earth do they allow Elvis' jumpsuits to sit on mannequins in the Racquetball Court at Graceland out in the open??? Shouldn't they be in some kind of a humidity controlled, temperature controlled case or something, to prevent deterioriation? Just a thought....)

Just my two cents... :blink:

TCB!
Mike

Cherokee
10-07-2004, 12:23 AM
Thanks, Cap ;) I guess your answer confirms my suspicions :P

Can you answer the one about Elvis' solitary trips, too?:please:

When The Travel Channel and The Discovery Channels did their retrospectives on Graceland and Memphis a couple of years ago, they talked about the special warehouses where they store all of Elvis' things. During the TV specials, they actually showed one of the archivists doing a "condition report" on the black leather suit, and she was wearing white gloves while doing the inspection....based on this, I have to believe that the suit that is on display at Graceland is the real deal....why else would they be doing a condition report on a replica, being so careful as to wear white gloves? If it was a replica, I highly doubt they would be THAT careful with it! (This of course leads to the next logical question....if EPE is being SO careful of Elvis' clothing that they are insisting that the archivists wear white gloves during the inspections, then why on Earth do they allow Elvis' jumpsuits to sit on mannequins in the Racquetball Court at Graceland out in the open??? Shouldn't they be in some kind of a humidity controlled, temperature controlled case or something, to prevent deterioriation? Just a thought....)

Just my two cents... :blink:

TCB!
Mike

Hi Mike :bye:

Well, my cynical response to the "why they would do that" question would be: money!:oops: EPE and Graceland do have a way with modifying history to their benefit :hmm: Of course treating a replica as the original with their "official stamp of approval" will bring in more money and status than if they'd say this one suit was a replica. Because if they'd admit ONE was a replica, that would immediately cast doubt about the rest of the collection on display..... :hmm: I'm not saying this is what's happening, I'm only saying they're a business and all is fair in love and war AND business ;)

Captain Elwood David
10-07-2004, 04:32 AM
I entirely missed the discussion about the "solitary" trips, sorry.

EP did indeed venture out & away from the Graceland grounds .............. for his own private (emphasis on "private") errands.

Bill Burk has discussed one such stealth meeting between him & EP in the late 70's. They met to iron out their differences about a negative review that Burk had written about one of EP's '76 Las Vegas appearances. EP met him alone, late at night, in some dark parking lot (because Burk was apprehensive about meeting EP on his own territory - Graceland - due to his well-know fondness for guns).

It stands to reason, given this example, numerous other accounts, and the photographic record actually showing EP out & about (let's not forget the pics. of EP giving a lady a ride on the back of his bike in the mid-70's), out in public without the MMM's ----> that it did indeed happen. Since he manged to get photographed on occassion, I'd say it happened quite a bit.

- Capt. "EL."

boogie
10-07-2004, 12:19 PM
Have this pic on pc, don't know if all this is correct :wiggle:

Captain Elwood David
10-07-2004, 05:59 PM
The Hilton jumpsuit portion may very well be THE Aloha-worn stagesuit. As ID'd by the color of the inverted leg pleats (Hilton's version is RED.......... and Graceland's version not).

The provenance on the belt, cape, ............... and probably boots, are sketchy (ie: nobody knows for sure, beyond conjecture, .......... which I don't deal in). One thing's for certain though, the belt / cape as seen in the Hilton display are not THE originals as worn in the Special. Impossible to know if the boots are the same pair.

The belt / cape / boot portions .......... are either reproductions post-1977 ............. or .............. true multiple originals.

A real shame to see that jumpsuit so poorly displayed. At one point, fans were able to reach the cape thru openings in the corners of the display ............. and pull off (!!) stones from the cape iteself. These "fragments" were eventually sold on the collector's market.

- Capt. "EL."

SouthPaw
10-08-2004, 09:18 AM
I actually saw it displayed that way and thought there is no way this thing could be real because of that fact. I thought at the time this has to be a duplicate of the original suit.

Amazing how little thought went into displaying a important element of music history.

Captain Elwood David
10-08-2004, 05:04 PM
Hi SP,

I agree, it is hard to believe it ............... and I do want to emphasize the words may be in my above post. I don't know for sure, but it sure appears that way.

- Capt. "EL."

Jungleroom76
10-08-2004, 05:35 PM
Hi Mike :bye:

Well, my cynical response to the "why they would do that" question would be: money!:oops: EPE and Graceland do have a way with modifying history to their benefit :hmm: Of course treating a replica as the original with their "official stamp of approval" will bring in more money and status than if they'd say this one suit was a replica. Because if they'd admit ONE was a replica, that would immediately cast doubt about the rest of the collection on display..... :hmm: I'm not saying this is what's happening, I'm only saying they're a business and all is fair in love and war AND business ;)

Well Cherokee, I do have to agree with you that MONEY does seem to be THE driving force at EPE!!! It really seems to me that EPE is more interested in money than in keeping Elvis' legacy alive for the most part.

A classic example is ELVIS PRESLEY'S MEMPHIS restaurant that was on Beale Street...EPE closed it, sighting poor sales. Now I can certainly understand a drop-off in business when visitors aren't in Memphis celebrating Elvis' birthday week or during Elvis Week. But, while the business probably isn't as booming during the rest of the year as it is during those 2 weeks of Elvis celebration, I can't believe that business was SO BAD the rest of the year that EPM didn't make enough money. I mean, fans do visit Memphis all year round, whether it's to see Graceland, or to see Beale Street or whatever....I just find it hard to believe that EPM had such bad sales figures during the non-Elvis weeks that it warranted having to be closed down. But, this is what I mean by EPE only being out for money! Now, I am not suggesting that EPE keep the restaurant open if it truly is losing hundreds of thousands of dollars a year...but I find it hard to believe that they weren't turning some kind of a profit. But, my opinion is that if EPE can't make a KILLING on profits on something, than it's not worth trying to save, regardless of what the fans may think or feel! Sorry for my rambling there... :blink:

Your assessment though, about the replica suit thing, certainly does make one wonder, doesn't it?? :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

Tony Trout
08-30-2006, 06:26 AM
Have this pic on pc, don't know if all this is correct :wiggle:

That's the actual Aloha suit...the one at Graceland is the one he wore during the later months of 1973-1974. Why EPE continues to portray their suit as the actual "Aloha" suit baffles me....:hmm:

Menwithbrokenhearts
09-01-2006, 12:46 AM
On the pink cadillac.... Saw Al Wertheimer at Elvis week and he showed us a picture of that car and it was definately a rose color and not the light pink that it is now. He thinks they repainted it or it's a different car.

Diane
09-01-2006, 09:29 AM
I read somewhere that the first pink cadillac was a deeper shade of pink and had a black roof and a carrier on top and that that was the one that burned up. You can see it in some photos. It was not the famed pink cadillac that Elvis bought for his mother. That one was all bubblegum pink so it is the original that is displayed at Graceland.