PDA

View Full Version : Elvis army memorabilia, Esposito in my neck of the woods

Lonniebealestreet
03-03-2004, 12:17 PM
This was reported on elvis.com last week, but I wasn't aware of it until I read it in my newspaper yesterday. From the Louisville Courier-Journal:

When the King was a soldier, he went from wearing blue suede shoes to U.S. Army fatigues.

Artifacts from Elvis' two-year tour of duty will be on display at the Patton Museum at Fort Knox from March 24 through March 2005. Among the dozen items to be shown are postcards written by Presley, his uniforms and official documents. The Patton Museum acquired the artifacts through a contact at Graceland.

Elvis' Army mate and eventual road manager, Joe Esposito, will be on hand at the exhibition's opening.

The personal effects will be complemented by other Army paraphernalia of the time, from conveyances to weapons.

"The idea is to put Elvis in the context of the Cold War," said museum director Frank Jardim. "We all know him as a performer, but now you'll get to see him in the big picture of national defense."

Elvis served in the Army from March 1958 until March 1960. He entered right after completing "Kid Creole."

"The Army had wanted him to take the easy way out and be a performer," Jardim said. But Elvis would have none of that. He insisted on enduring the same rigors as his fellow soldiers.

"It always impressed me that such a well-known man entered the Army as a buck private. It just struck me in this day when so many celebrities are so quick to criticize the government and the military."

Presley met wife-to-be Priscilla Beaulieu in his last months of service while stationed in Germany, and exited the service as a sergeant.

Jardim is excited about museum visitors getting a more complete picture of the performer.

"They think of the gold lam? suit and rock 'n' roll," he said, "not about him freezing his butt off in a Jeep."

As elvis.com points out, "Elvis admired General Patton and was fan of the movie Patton, starring George C.Scott, so we know he would be especially happy to be honored with an exhibit at this museum."

EPE gives more detail of the items they are lending to the display: "...photographs, video, official documents, personal correspondence, and a set of army fatigues and an army overcoat that belonged to Elvis."

I hope to attend the opening. :)

http://www.louisvillescene.com/2004/03/02/arts_elvis.jpg

P.S. Annie
03-03-2004, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the info. Would love to go, but it is a bit out of my way...... :( Maybe someone can make some pictures and show them on the MB

Lonniebealestreet
03-03-2004, 01:36 PM
If I go, Annie, I will do just that. Sorry you can't make it. :wink:

Albert
03-03-2004, 03:12 PM
Sounds great :D

How about Elvis in Germany: are there special tours or something? Visiting his house, the base, etc.? It is after all one of the most importants moments in his life (and carreer)?

Jungleroom76
03-03-2004, 08:08 PM
Hey Buddy:

Say hi to Diamond Joe for me if you are able to go!! :)

TCB!
Your Pal,
Mike

Lonniebealestreet
03-03-2004, 08:16 PM
Sure thing. :)

Sonny
03-04-2004, 11:32 AM
Hi Albert,

Some fanclubs tried arranging tours to visit Bad Nauheim in the past, but because of lack off interest most of those tours got cancelled.

Sonny

Lonniebealestreet
03-25-2004, 10:44 AM
My sister-in-law and I went yesterday to the opening of the exhibit. It is a nice tribute to Elvis's army stint and I was glad to meet Joe.

A funny thing happened. Before the opening ceremony, we were wandering around the museum and saw the new Elvis section. There were a few people in there looking around so we stepped over this little bench which wasn't exactly blocking the way to that area, and started checking things out and taking some photos. A few minutes later, I heard a voice behind me ask, "How did you get in here?" My unintentionally ******** reply was, "Uh, the front door." I really didn't know what he meant! We were then informed by the gentleman in army fatigues that the exhibit wasn't open yet and were shown the way back to the lobby. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_1_101.gif

So a few of the pictures I took of the displays were with no people around. When we went back through with everybody later, there wasn't much opportunity to get many good shots like that, so I just have a few of them to share.

Joe was in the gift shop when we got there, selling his things and giving autographs and getting his picture taken. A while later everyone went into the auditorium and some of the people with the Patton Museum spoke and then Joe did, and he answered some questions. He was friendly and seemed very sharp-witted, and with a good sense of humor. Then the display was opened and everyone got to see everything for the first time--err, well... :wink:

Anyway, here are some pics.

Lonniebealestreet
03-25-2004, 10:47 AM
Exclusive access! :wink:

Lonniebealestreet
03-25-2004, 10:49 AM
Cool army stuff...

Lonniebealestreet
03-25-2004, 10:50 AM
And more...

Lonniebealestreet
03-25-2004, 10:55 AM
Joe speaking in the auditorium.

Lonniebealestreet
03-25-2004, 10:58 AM
Joe talking to reporters.

Lonniebealestreet
03-25-2004, 11:02 AM
My sister-in-law Jennifer in front of a Jeep like the one Elvis drove.

Lonniebealestreet
03-25-2004, 11:07 AM
Joe with plaque presented to him from the Patton museum.

Lonniebealestreet
03-25-2004, 11:11 AM
Wall display.

Lonniebealestreet
03-25-2004, 11:15 AM
As you can see, the event was well-attended and so I was lucky to get the shots I had taken earlier.

Lonniebealestreet
03-25-2004, 11:26 AM
Nice pictures Bobby! You lucky sun of a gun :D

Thanks, Ron. We had a nice time. I may add some more later.

P.S. Annie
03-25-2004, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the story, and the great pictures Bobby 8)

Lonniebealestreet
03-25-2004, 02:41 PM
You're welcome, Annie. Here's one of me and Joe.

http://www.tcb-world.com/picserver/uploads/54063519335f1f.bmp

Jungleroom76
03-25-2004, 04:33 PM
Hey Buddy:

GREAT PHOTOS MAN!! That is so cool that you got "exclusive access" to the exhibit first!! :lol:

That is so cool that you got to meet Joe....was he as personable as he always comes across in his interviews? Were you able to chat with him long?

Thanks again for the great photos buddy! CONGRATULATIONS!

Your Pal,
Mike

LisaMarie
03-25-2004, 04:43 PM
Great photos Bobby!!! That must have been pretty exciting!

... the front door... :lol:

Lisa :wink:

Lonniebealestreet
03-26-2004, 06:48 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_12_2.gif

LisaMarie
03-26-2004, 11:36 AM
You're welcome, Annie.  Here's one of me and Joe.

http://www.tcb-world.com/picserver/uploads/54063519335f1f.bmp

Bye the way lonniebealestreet, are you sure your from Louisville, Kentucky? Cause you look really familiar to me. :D

Yeah, and you're pretty cute too... :wink:

Lisa

Lonniebealestreet
03-26-2004, 07:01 PM
Mike-

Joe did seem very friendly, but unfortunately I didn't have much time to chat with him.

Lisa, Ron-
Yes, it was exciting. The front door...what can I say? That was typical me, really. :lol: And you both are nuts, by the way. If such insanity keeps up, I'll have to flex some moderator muscle and censor you goofballs! :wink: But thanks. I wasn't gonna post that at first because I didn't care much for it, but since it was all I had of me and Joe, I decided to. So I'm glad somebody likes it.

Albert-

That was the first time (just that last photo) I've used Picserver since you started your own page. I was having problems linking to it on FECC, so I was hesitant to try it again when you started offering yours. But I was forced to because I had reached my image upload limit here. I just came to the site and noticed the photo wasn't showing up, but then once I logged in to the site, it was. Is that the way it always works--just so I know?

LisaMarie
03-26-2004, 09:20 PM
Lisa, Ron-
Yes, it was exciting.  The front door...what can I say?  That was typical me, really. :lol:  And you both are nuts, by the way.  If such insanity keeps up, I'll have to flex some moderator muscle and censor you goofballs!  :wink: But thanks.  I wasn't gonna post that at first because I didn't care much for it, but since it was all I had of me and Joe, I decided to.  So I'm glad somebody likes it.

Wait Bobby, you are the shorter guy on the left, aren't you?? :oops:

YOU KNOW I'M KIDDING!! :wink:

Lisa

Lonniebealestreet
03-28-2004, 12:11 AM
You're welcome.

By the way, I should clarify my earlier comment: it wasn't that I didn't have much time to talk with Joe, but vice versa (in case you all didn't already figure that out)!

:)

P.S. Annie
03-28-2004, 04:25 AM
Great picture Bobby. It's a shame you didnt have time to talk with Joe :wink: I'am sure he missed out on something :D

Lonniebealestreet
03-29-2004, 11:06 AM
Very nice of you to say that, Annie. :D

SouthPaw
03-31-2004, 07:08 PM
Interestingly, I spoke with Joe a few months ago in California seems he is starting a new business, he is becoming a political activist in Washington, DC.

Captain Elwood David
03-31-2004, 07:29 PM
Interestingly, I spoke with Joe a few months ago in California seems he is starting a new business, he is becoming a political activist in Washington, DC.

How is ol' Joe?

Esposito is cool in my book! Really nice & helpful guy. I wish him all the best.

- Capt. "EL."

SouthPaw
03-31-2004, 08:15 PM
He was very good, very excited about this new opportuntity, he already had some clients lined up to start with.