PDA

View Full Version : Copyright Law?

EP6873
02-23-2007, 08:51 AM
What is the deal with this 50 year copyright law? Why does this exist? Thanks.

poormansgold
02-23-2007, 09:16 AM
THe Copyright law for stop people making money on stuff without asking .some people think that copyright mean you can't copy, It's mean was can't use it for another things, one thing making money from things.
I was Told That i can copy a movie for myself only, but I can not Sale it.
and there more Too it. I can't put in words.
I know about 20 years ago Music Co. tried stop sale of recording tapes, because people was recording music from Radio, the music co lost court, because the people using the recording tapes for something alse .
like Today , THe free sharing Files, That's falls into recording spot.
the record co. tried stop that now.
the coprights might play in play that, I don't thinks, if you sharing there no money cross hands or nothing.
You look up about on net about the copylight law, I know from secondhand
Tom

thehillbillycat
02-23-2007, 11:34 AM
Copyrights doesn't apply to everything. There is many public domain movies out there. Meaning you can copying them and sell them and no law are broken due to the reason that the movie wasn't renew for copyright. Example,the serials of the 40s (15 chapters) most of them are public domain. The two Superman serials and the two Batman serials was part of the public domain and I think they still but you have to get the original copies of them and not copy the new DVDs of the serials. You have to the the old VHS tapes when they was release by a low budget company. The other serials I believe are part of the public domain area. Most of John Wayne early movies are public domain. There is some italian westerns that is public domain too. There is a list of movies and series and serials that is public domain.

srj1967
02-24-2007, 12:05 AM
Also, you cannot copyright a speaking voice or an interview recorded in a public place.

So if anyone wants to release, for example, the NYC 1972 press conference, they could. They'd only have to acknowledge copyright of any pics used (but they could use any public domain pics, and I'm sure some NY photos fall under that category - we have some of those in our news photo library at News Limited in Australia). They'd probably have to avoid using EPs name though, which could prove tricky.

(I'd like to see a 6 or 8 CD set of every press conference and interview gathered in one set ... nice dream).

thehillbillycat
02-24-2007, 02:58 AM
Umm, I don't know of the Elvis press conferences if they would be considered as public domain. I believe any press conference or any recording of a speaker that hasn't any public official (ex. President of the US) would have some copyrights on it. Last year someone got in trouble for releasing a press conference of Britney Spears that was made during her last tour. If it so why did that person get in trouble for selling that. It was in a public place too.

As for the 6 or 8 cd set, I hope you are not only referring to Elvis because he only made a few of them and it could fit onto one or two cds. Maybe three at the most.

srj1967
02-26-2007, 04:22 AM
Last year someone got in trouble for releasing a press conference of Britney Spears that was made during her last tour. If it so why did that person get in trouble for selling that. It was in a public place too.

As for the 6 or 8 cd set, I hope you are not only referring to Elvis because he only made a few of them and it could fit onto one or two cds. Maybe three at the most.

Presumably, someone got in trouble for using Britney's image etc to publicise the interview CD ... ?

As for the press conferences and interviews, there are easily enough to fill 6 or 8 CDs (whether most were recorded or not remains a mystery ...)

thehillbillycat
02-26-2007, 07:19 AM
Presumably, someone got in trouble for using Britney's image etc to publicise the interview CD ... ?

As for the press conferences and interviews, there are easily enough to fill 6 or 8 CDs (whether most were recorded or not remains a mystery ...)

No, I have the cd and it doesn't have Britney on it. It has a picture of the building she gave the press conference at.