PDA

View Full Version : jerry lee disin E.P again

memphis 77
01-22-2007, 08:58 AM
in an interview in blue suede magazine JERRY LEE is disin E.P. again, sayin that he is the true king, and that elvis couldn't sing or play rythm and blues especially on piano, he even quotes other artists as [ray charles] that elvis ripped off so many black artists and was not original . WHEN i got this print out i was pissed, it just seems to me that JERRY'S anger, jealousy, and lack of self esteem have gotten to him again, i just gotta dis this guy, i'm sorry but he just SUCKS royally, if not for E.P'S insertion into the music biz these guys,[white and black] would never have bin heard, as for ray charles comment, i seen this on e.t. some many years back, i'm sure ELVIS had alot of jealousy around him, but E.P. always kept his opinion to himself [bad or good], these other guys like jerry, ray charles etc.. were limited in their ability to sing other genres of music[especially jerry lee] , E.P. could sing any **************** type of music he chose, and did it with ease and style, E.P. had IT[call it charisma etc..] and he was the only guy who had the b...s to go into sun studio[unknown at the time] and dare to record , and thankfully getting to cut artur big boy crudups THAT'S ALL RIGHT[ it still stands out today] all the others followed him and only wished they had THE TALENT that GOD blessed him with, and that he used. JERRY LEE is nothing more than a has bin, no talent hick. The very fact that ELVIS PRESLEY is loved and missed by millions of adoring fans and has so may web sites devoted to him and his great legacy[music and films] is proof enough. T his guy and the others like him were all untalented tripe, give me a break , his country albums etc are just plain CRAP, as for the other artists that came after him like orbison[repetative in his music, never had the voice that ELVIS HAD] , CASH [this guy couldn't sing he was a story teller] and the rest, i'm sure ELVIS INS SINGIN LEAD in the great band upstairs, GOD BLESS YOU ELVIS PRESLEY you have only enriched my life, and i thank GOD ALMIGHTY for you and your extrordiairy talent that you shared with us and left us , i feel for those who don't know what it is like to be obsessed with you[it's a hell of a rush, and one i don't wanna quit] as for this print out of this interview , i will use it the next time i go to the washroom[maybe i'll even send it to jerry lee fed ex].I'm sorry for the rant guys but this gets me pised especially when E.P. is not here to defend himself.

ruggishboo
01-22-2007, 09:16 AM
Jerry Lee seems to have always had something against Elvis. Perhaps it is indeed due to jealousy and resentment. I have seen interviews where Little Richard has dissed on Elvis, too. Elvis, to my knowledge, never dissed any one in his profession in public, and I've always given him credit for that. That is why he is still loved by millions around the world, and why he has wonderful websites such as this devoted to him and his fans and these other artists don't.

srj1967
01-22-2007, 09:24 AM
JERRY LEE is nothing more than a has bin, no talent hick.

Come off it, this is totally unfair. Jerry Lee Lewis was a stunning talent in his own right. Heard his latest duets album? It's fantastic. Neil Young and a host of others on it.
Jerry Lee's regained his talent and career (after years in the wilderness). He's said enough positive things about Elvis and his music over the years too.
And Elvis would've been the first to admit he wasn't too flash on the piano. He knew a lot of chords, sure, but he wasn't what I'd call a serious player. Of the two, Jerry Lee was the better player, and is one of the best pianists of all time.
Don't take it so personally if someone criticises Elvis either. Everyone's entitled to an opinion. Yes, even about Elvis. And even if you think they're wrong.
To dismiss Jerry Lee Lewis - one of the mainstays of early rock'n'roll, country etc - truly beggars belief.
Ray Charles was probably jealous of Elvis and his adulation, and is completely wrong about Elvis "stealing" black music. You can't steal music anyway, you can only reinterpret it.
You criticise Jerry Lee for dissing Elvis when he's not here to defend himself, then you diss Ray Charles in the same breath.
As for Charles being "limited" in what he could sing? Please, he could sing rock, country, jazz, funk and was just as diverse as Elvis, but in his own way.
And even Elvis said Roy Orbison had the best voice in the world.
So to dismiss Elvis' other Sun stablemates as virtually untalented is simply ludicrous and unfair in the extreme.
"All untalented tripe": perhaps the silliest comment about the Sun people I've ever read.

Jumpsuit Junkie
01-22-2007, 01:08 PM
This makes me laugh:lol: , I consider him a better country singer then Elvis, and do not know one other performer in the world that can improvise during live concerts like JLL does.

100% agreed, Jerry has a motormouth but never the less his talent is undeniable!

Danny Ocean
01-22-2007, 01:51 PM
Very cool to critisize people who passed away..

Joe Car
01-22-2007, 02:32 PM
Very cool to critisize people who passed away..

For somebody to talk about EP like that, makes me even respect less then I did before, despite his talent.

4THEHEART
01-22-2007, 03:23 PM
JerryLee, never had a singing voice in my opinion and his way of playing or fighting,the piano is just the expression of his negative ,immature spirit..anyone can play that simple form of R&R on the piano,after having a little practice on that type of music..I just couldn't stand his noise,yet never felt an urge to express this, untill his mouth reached it's max size:angry: ..enough of his jealousy:angry: ..No ,Elvis never had many friends in R&R world,that's for sure ..:rolleyes:

Albert
01-22-2007, 03:36 PM
This makes me laugh:lol: , I consider him a better country singer then Elvis, and do not know one other performer in the world that can improvise during live concerts like JLL does.

Perhaps you don't know that many artists? ;)

The problem with Jerry Lee is that his instrument is not really his voice (like Elvis), but his piano. So every song has to have a piano in it. That limits the sound and feeling the songs that he records.

With that comes his very negative personality. From the very first tv-performance you see a troubled, angry man. But one that could rock the hell out of every rock'n roll song. To me, Jerry rocked a whole lot more than Elvis. But that doesn't make him the King, because to earn that title, you have to have more than just great rock'n roll songs.

As a country star, Jerry is also very good. Especially with the sad, depressing songs. You can hear that he lived what he sung.

His greatest limitation is his negative personality. You can hear it through his songs.... or even have to look at pictures from him. An amazing artist, a horrible person.

JDD
01-22-2007, 03:53 PM
Old Jerry Lee has a lot of problems, and his opinion seems to change depending on who he's talking to. He once told me at a meet and greet that He loved old Elvis. I think sometimes he just has a couple brews and gets tired of being asked about a guy thats been dead 30 years and still out sells him. Jerry Lee was fantastic, a true and deserved legend IMO but The Killers never been a saint and he's always been one to lash out.

gordon
01-22-2007, 03:58 PM
:king: Personally i dont give a s*@t what JLL has to say one minute they're the best of friends next they're not he has his fans EP has his. So let them say what they like i know how good elvis was so let them moan and groan its all publicity anyway;) :P

franny
01-22-2007, 06:35 PM
Jerry Lee Lewis may be a talented piano player, but his voice never got to me...not the way Elvis' voice does, not even close! :notworthy

How disrespectful of JLL to put Elvis down, when Elvis has always showed support and respect for other artists and their talent!

franny

T_J
01-22-2007, 07:29 PM
The strange thing about Jerry is his lack of consistency. In the outtakes of the Chuck Berry film, Hail Hail Rock 'n' Roll, there is a lengthy interview with Jerry Lee. This would have been in 1986. Several times he praises Elvis' talent. In fact, he seems more keen to talk about Elvis' greatness than Chuck, even though the interview is supposed to be about Chuck.

EP6873
01-23-2007, 12:18 AM
Yea, Jerry Lee has been jealous of Elvis since the 50's. He was pretty good himself though, if you listen to some of his duets with Jimmy Ellis, who is also great by the way.

jak
01-23-2007, 03:27 AM
Jerry Lee will praise Elvis one moment then slam him the next.To me he comes off as a bitter man.Im sure jealousy is also a factor.However to say he has no talent is ridiculous.He has produced some great music over the years and there is no denying it.
Jak

desiree
01-23-2007, 04:05 AM
Come off it, this is totally unfair. Jerry Lee Lewis was a stunning talent in his own right. Heard his latest duets album? It's fantastic. Neil Young and a host of others on it.
Jerry Lee's regained his talent and career (after years in the wilderness). He's said enough positive things about Elvis and his music over the years too.
And Elvis would've been the first to admit he wasn't too flash on the piano. He knew a lot of chords, sure, but he wasn't what I'd call a serious player. Of the two, Jerry Lee was the better player, and is one of the best pianists of all time.
Don't take it so personally if someone criticises Elvis either. Everyone's entitled to an opinion. Yes, even about Elvis. And even if you think they're wrong.
To dismiss Jerry Lee Lewis - one of the mainstays of early rock'n'roll, country etc - truly beggars belief.
Ray Charles was probably jealous of Elvis and his adulation, and is completely wrong about Elvis "stealing" black music. You can't steal music anyway, you can only reinterpret it.
You criticise Jerry Lee for dissing Elvis when he's not here to defend himself, then you diss Ray Charles in the same breath.
As for Charles being "limited" in what he could sing? Please, he could sing rock, country, jazz, funk and was just as diverse as Elvis, but in his own way.
And even Elvis said Roy Orbison had the best voice in the world.
So to dismiss Elvis' other Sun stablemates as virtually untalented is simply ludicrous and unfair in the extreme.
"All untalented tripe": perhaps the silliest comment about the Sun people I've ever read.

I totally agree with you! It?s almost like you?ve stolen my words:D.
Sure it?s a shame if Jerry Lee didn?t feel good about Elvis
but it is his opinion and don`t we all got our own opinions? And what comes to Elvis, he got his own opinions too. We?re all human!:king:

Elvis2Fan
01-23-2007, 07:19 AM
Jerry Lee is very talented. I guess we can't change the way he feels towards Elvis. Doesen't mean he isn't good though!

memphis 77
01-23-2007, 11:35 AM
i admit that i jumped the gun, i sure except that everyone is entitled to their opinion, i guess i just never seen or heard E.P say anything about another artist in that vicious way[i'm sure he had his list of people he disliked] but of course he was ELVIS PRESLEY[a gentleman ], i agree with what ALBERT said that ELVIS instument was his voice[a god given gift]. I also know that E.P. had basic skills on the piano, but hell he just had the voice that he could sing any **************** thing he wanted, he had the soul in his voice , jerry don't have a voice[my opinion] and didn't have the stage presence that E.P. had. Again i stand up for E.P. as he is not here to stand up for himself, and RAY made the comment on ET, some years back when he was alive and well, elvis wasn't , so that's where i step in.

lawdy_missclawdy
01-25-2007, 05:13 AM
I like Jerry, and I like his music. But it's obvious that he is saying this out of jealousy. Yes, Elvis couldn't play piano like Jerry, but then there was so many other things that Elvis could do. Elvis is and always will be the King of, in my opinion, music! And ever since the 50's Jerry was jealous of that. I like Jerry's new album, but when I'm going to see him live in february it's obvious that he's gonna sing the same old songs. Jerry will always be remembered for his 50's songs such as "Great Balls of Fire" and "Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On". And that's ok, 'cos those songs are great! But he's done. He'll never have such big hits again. Elvis will always be remembered as The King. Jerry is The Killer. He's just gonna have to accept that.

lawdy_missclawdy
01-25-2007, 09:39 AM
Sorry but JLL best year was 1971....not the 50's.

What happened in '71? :blink:
I know that his marriage to 13 year old Myra nearly destroyed his carrier in the 50's, but some of Jerry's biggest hits is without a doubt the stuff he recorded in that era ..

srj1967
01-25-2007, 09:55 AM
That's easy, he recorded four number one hits that year.:)

Actually, he only had two number ones in '71, and they were on the country chart: Me and Bobby McGee and Would You Take Another Chance On Me.

He had two other number ones in country the following year. Or are you saying the four tracks were all recorded in '71?

But he had three country number ones in 1968: What's Made Milwaukee Famous (Has Made a Loser Out of Me); She Still Comes Around (To Love What's Left of Me) and To Make Love Sweeter For You.

So, '68 was better than '71 ... but from a country point of view only.

He had two number ones in 1957 on the pop charts with Great Balls of Fire and Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin On.

lawdy_missclawdy
01-25-2007, 10:02 AM
That's easy, he recorded four number one hits that year.:)

Oh :) I didn't knew that :doh:
But he is best know for songs such as "Great Balls of Fire" and "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On" ..

vulcandude
01-26-2007, 06:47 PM
in an interview in blue suede magazine JERRY LEE is disin E.P. again, sayin that he is the true king, and that elvis couldn't sing or play rythm and blues especially on piano, he even quotes other artists as [ray charles] that elvis ripped off so many black artists and was not original . WHEN i got this print out i was pissed, it just seems to me that JERRY'S anger, jealousy, and lack of self esteem have gotten to him again, i just gotta dis this guy, i'm sorry but he just SUCKS royally, if not for E.P'S insertion into the music biz these guys,[white and black] would never have bin heard, as for ray charles comment, i seen this on e.t. some many years back, i'm sure ELVIS had alot of jealousy around him, but E.P. always kept his opinion to himself [bad or good], these other guys like jerry, ray charles etc.. were limited in their ability to sing other genres of music[especially jerry lee] , E.P. could sing any **************** type of music he chose, and did it with ease and style, E.P. had IT[call it charisma etc..] and he was the only guy who had the b...s to go into sun studio[unknown at the time] and dare to record , and thankfully getting to cut artur big boy crudups THAT'S ALL RIGHT[ it still stands out today] all the others followed him and only wished they had THE TALENT that GOD blessed him with, and that he used. JERRY LEE is nothing more than a has bin, no talent hick. The very fact that ELVIS PRESLEY is loved and missed by millions of adoring fans and has so may web sites devoted to him and his great legacy[music and films] is proof enough. T his guy and the others like him were all untalented tripe, give me a break , his country albums etc are just plain CRAP, as for the other artists that came after him like orbison[repetative in his music, never had the voice that ELVIS HAD] , CASH [this guy couldn't sing he was a story teller] and the rest, i'm sure ELVIS INS SINGIN LEAD in the great band upstairs, GOD BLESS YOU ELVIS PRESLEY you have only enriched my life, and i thank GOD ALMIGHTY for you and your extrordiairy talent that you shared with us and left us , i feel for those who don't know what it is like to be obsessed with you[it's a hell of a rush, and one i don't wanna quit] as for this print out of this interview , i will use it the next time i go to the washroom[maybe i'll even send it to jerry lee fed ex].I'm sorry for the rant guys but this gets me pised especially when E.P. is not here to defend himself.Now mind you, I'm an Elvis fan first and foremost, but calling Jerry Lee untalented floors me! Sure he's always been a bit envious of Elvis, and they did have a bit of a rivalry, but his records are classics! I adore "Great Balls Of Fire", and Elvis never did "Whole Lot Of Shakin' Goin' On" nearly as well as Jerry Lee did. I had the interesting experience of meeting him back in 89, and while he did refuse me an autograph, as well as to those who also asked for one, he did perform for everyone, and brought down the house. Say what you will about him, but I still think he's great. I love Cash and Orbison too.....what singers!

rick
01-27-2007, 12:19 AM
I love many tracks on JLL's new album and I'm right now playing his 1979 self-titled album (also great) but he should learn to keep his mouth shut. I also saw him in concert about 20 years ago and he had an off night.
I think the sale figures and ongoing following prove who is tops - Elvis
rick

KPM
02-01-2007, 09:00 PM
JLL has always been a complicated person. He can be the country gentleman, or a red neck sob. He is a very talented person, great piano player and has a distinct voice, but his vocal range is limited. He is jealous on many levels of Elvis. Not the least being the money angle. Its a shame he goes from hot to cold when it comes to Elvis depending on his mood.

Raised on Rock
02-01-2007, 09:33 PM
To say Elvis couldn't sing R&B and that ELvis wasn't original is the most stupid thing he could have said; its funny how all 50's rockers (except Carl Perkins and Bo Diddley) have always trashed Elvis, while all the 60's ones praise him the most, as well as real blues man's like Howlin Wolf or B.B. King speaked better of Elvis than any of the others 50's pioners. It is also curious how black musicians rarely trash Elvis about stealing their music, and are mostly white musicians (an the ones that could not do Black music half as well than Elvis) the ones who acuse Presley of that. Now, when I hear ELvis SUn Session's and even the 50's RCA recordings, I dont hear neither the sound of Chess records or anyother of Black sound of the era or the era prior to that, neither I hear anything near to what white perfomers did, and about the 50's rockers? all the white ones where replicating the Elvis sound, so much that Elvis had to get away from his original sun sound, and the black ones like Berry or Richard? they where just doing the uptempo version of the blues and R&B.

Not comments about Jerry Lee's talent, cause he's f*** good on what he does, but Jerry Lee is NOT at all a better piano player than Elvis as a singer, plus Elvis as a guitar picker was probalby as good as Jerry as a singer, about originality, Jerry arrived to a field already prepared by Elvis, Scotty and Bill, and his sound was more Sam Philips than himself, then he adopted it as his own, and its a dam good sound, I love Jerry Lee, but when he speaks like that about Elvis, it just becomes evident the kind of bad ego trip in which Jerry Lee is into.

P.S. Early '56 ELvis Presley became notorious about his hips and legs, funny thing how after that Jerry Lee and Chuck Berry did an unatural exagerated hip and leg shakin every time the got their chance on national TV.

Raised on Rock
02-01-2007, 10:01 PM
P.S. A girl next to me says Jerry Lee is jealous cause on his first TV apearance looked like freak while Elvis looked goergous on TV.

Raised on Rock
02-01-2007, 10:10 PM
Sorry but JLL best year was 1971....not the 50's.

Well, recently I saw a You Tube clip of Jerry Lee and Carl Perkins doing Blue Suede Shoes on TV 1971, and, no disrespect, I love those guys but they looked like a couple of old farts aready, then I wached Elvis doing the same song a year before TTWI and boy, you tell me who's the King.

Then I wached Jerry Lee playing Sweet Toronto '69 (great movie by the way if you guys got the chance) and although Jerry deliver is rockin', man that was nothing but a middle aged country boy swingin a bit compared to the raw powerfull rocking performances of the wild sex charged Presley that we saw on the '68 Tv special and in Vegas '69.

Well I understand why he's jealous, he's talented, he's good, but no matter how harder he tried, he can't match Elvis.

Snagglepuss
02-02-2007, 08:50 AM
I think Jerry Lee's attitude stinks, his talent on the other hand is awesome. I was gonna ask, does anyone have the Live show with Elvis & Jerry Lee? Its actually fairly good sound the songs are good too.

KPM
02-02-2007, 10:49 AM
This is news to me , what live show with Elvis and Jerry Lee? Except for the Million Dollar Quartet jam sessions they never sang together that I have heard about. In the 50s Jerry came after Elvis left Sun so they did not tour together. There were a couple albums in the late 70s put out with duets between Jerry and Elvis sound alike mystery singer (and you were led to believe it was Elvis but it wasn't.) Where and when were they suppose to have done a live show?

Snagglepuss
02-02-2007, 01:00 PM
This is news to me , what live show with Elvis and Jerry Lee? Except for the Million Dollar Quartet jam sessions they never sang together that I have heard about. In the 50s Jerry came after Elvis left Sun so they did not tour together. There were a couple albums in the late 70s put out with duets between Jerry and Elvis sound alike mystery singer (and you were led to believe it was Elvis but it wasn't.) Where and when were they suppose to have done a live show?

Have you ever seen Walk the Line movie...remeber Elvis & Jerry Lee did play together.
I could possibly email you an mp3 if you dont believe me.

Yeah my sister in law hooked me up, she's got them from LIMEWIRE(filesharing) I believe.
Here are some titles from them together.

Be-Bup-A-Luwop
Cold Cold Heart
Downby the Riverside
Easy Rider
Hello Josephine
Old Shep
You Can Dance-VERY GOOD!(y)
When My Blue Moon Turns to Gold(y)
CC Rider(y)

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p182/snagglepuss1/snagglepuss_sig-1.jpg

KPM
02-02-2007, 01:58 PM
Have you ever seen Walk the Line movie...remeber Elvis & Jerry Lee did play together.
I could possibly email you an mp3 if you dont believe me.

Yeah my sister in law hooked me up, she's got them from LIMEWIRE(filesharing) I believe.
Here are some titles from them together.

Be-Bup-A-Luwop
Cold Cold Heart
Downby the Riverside
Easy Rider
Hello Josephine
Old Shep
You Can Dance-VERY GOOD!(y)
When My Blue Moon Turns to Gold(y)
CC Rider(y)

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p182/snagglepuss1/snagglepuss_sig-1.jpg

Trust me it never happened, the "I Walk the Line" Movie tries to make it look like Elvis and Jerry toured together they did not. Elvis did tour with Cash and Perkins but not JLL. He came to Sun way after Elvis had left. THe scenes in the movie were just to make a better movie. I had to explain this to my teenage daughter also after she saw the movie. Can some other fan back me up on this.

Snagglepuss
02-02-2007, 02:04 PM
Who is it then???
Cause if its not him its gettin' deleted!

Snagglepuss
02-02-2007, 02:19 PM
Orion ***....dissapointing but I'll probably keep mine, its weird hes doing Elvis songs & sounds like him too!:hmm:

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p182/snagglepuss1/elvis_sig.jpg

waymore44
02-02-2007, 10:45 PM
I think what it boils down to is Jerry Lee is crazy as hell. I don't think he can control what he says from one moment to the next. BUT....to say he's a no talent hick draws whether one has ears into question.

JERRY LEE ROCKS.

PERIOD.