PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help about an Elvis related movie.

bittersuite
01-19-2007, 02:58 PM
Someone told me about a movie that was made about 15 years ago and involved Elvis. The story was about this young girl who was very sick. Then she discovered Elvis and her whole outlook on life changed. She then started to write letters to Elvis and when he didn't reply back, she got very depressed etc. Then all of a sudden she got a letter from Elvis, and Elvis even gave her a code name for writing to him, so that he would know that it was her letters.
Elvis and this girl kept writing to each other until she died from her sickness.
This movie was supposed to be based on a true story that really did happen between this girl and Elvis.
Would anyone out there know what the title of it was or even who starred in it, as I would love to see it.

spinout-designs
01-19-2007, 03:39 PM
Hi, the film you are talking about is called 'Touched By Love' and starred Diane Lane and Deborah Raffin.

You can find more details by using that title in the search feature on www.imdb.com

bittersuite
01-19-2007, 03:52 PM
Thanks very much for letting me know. I must look out for it. Maybe I might get it on DVD. Did you see it yourself and if so, what did you think of it.

Wild_In_The_Country
01-19-2007, 04:41 PM
also think the film had another name, "To Elvis, With Love" so might help you in searching for it.

Jim Saidhello
01-20-2007, 02:07 AM
The VHS tape is out of print and expensive; no DVD was ever issued. Don't buy a VHS on eBay, most of the ones sold there are bootlegs and blurrier than the original tape.

The movie is poignant and well-done; certainly worth your while especially as it's based on a true story. What stands out for me is the scenery - filmed on location in the Northwest somewhere, in a beautiful remote mountainous locale. Diane Lane manages to wring some pathos out of her character without it turning mawkish. And of course it's nice to see Elvis as a healer, a role he also assumed in Heartbreak Hotel and Finding Graceland. (But this story was true.)

(Mind you, Elvis never actually appears in the film, save for on a movie screen and on album covers. And he doesn't come into play until about halfway through the picture. But yup, this is the true Elvis.)

bittersuite, please contact me privately at [email protected] so I can share additional info with you.

thehillbillycat
01-20-2007, 03:06 AM
The movie is call Touched By Love and that video is very hard to find cheap. It was made in 1981 and it based on the true events of Karen Brown. Here is what I wrote on The Hillbilly Cat Forum.

Well, this is the sadest story that has to do with Elvis. Karen Brown was a young child who had cerebral palsy. Her whole life she was in a home for disabled children. All attempts to reach her failed. But then, a young nurse's aide, Lena Canada becomes deeply involved in Karen's rehabilitation. Over protests from doctors, Lena devotes herself to drawing the child out of her shell. Eventually Karen finds an outlet for her suppressed emotions through a surprising pen-pal - Elvis Presley. He send her gifts and they wrote back to each other. Elvis was going to visit her but she passed away, they never met. Sadden over the lost Elvis took time from his life to go to her funeral.

This story is told in a book and then turn into a movie. The book is very hard to find and is titled To Elvis, With Love (which was the last thing Karen wrote to begin a letter for Elvis). The movie is titled Touched By Love and stars Diane Lane as Karen Brown. This might be the most important Elvis movie that ever was made. So if you find either the book or the video you need to get it to learn this sad story. I haven't found to much on this story but this needs to be brought into the light again. I do have a copy of the movie and love to watch it.
This is in memory of Karen Brown.

I have the video in my collecton and has never been on DVD. The book is hard to find as well. It is written by Lena Canada who took care of Karen.
I have seen it many times and I have it in my collection as I have said. It is a very good movie and it my opinion might be the most important Elvis movie to date.

bittersuite
01-20-2007, 11:40 AM
Thanks everyone for your help. I definetly want to watch this movie now. It was a friend of mine who was talking about it, she said she seen it years ago and it always stuck in her mind as she thought it was that good. But she couldn't remember the title or who was in it, she just remembered the story. I know it is hard to find on dvd but maybe someday it might come on the tv again.

I must look out for the book as well. We have a very good second hand book shop here, so maybe they might have it.
Once again thanks to everyone who helped me with this.

thehillbillycat
01-25-2007, 07:07 PM
Check you PM box.

vulcandude
01-25-2007, 07:13 PM
It was originally a paperback book. Quite a moving story. The movie was very wonderfully done. Really shows how one person can change your life, especially if it is Elvis.

memphis 77
01-26-2007, 09:57 AM
it was a moving story, i'm sure you will like it, and the fact that E.P. wrote a note to this girl[his own handwriting] was omitted from the story, he did send her albums etc, through out the years they were all postmarked by VERNON, aah THE PRESLEY CLAN[one of a kind], just another story in a long line of E.P.'S generosity.