PDA

View Full Version : 70's Fashion Faux Pas?

Jumpsuit Junkie
01-17-2007, 04:38 AM
I realise that fashion changes over the years, and the 70's sure seems funny to look at now.

There are many items of clothing that only Elvis could have worn and not be ridiculed :supriced:

So to have a little fun, lets post some of the clothing that Elvis wore that you now think hasn't perhaps stood the test of time :hmm:

I'll start with the cheeky number when Elvis met Jack Lord and his wife, the picture is great because they all look like they are having fun.

But that Jacket................ is it a little over the top?

Matt

srj1967
01-17-2007, 05:03 AM
Some horrendous fashion faux pas (correct spelling, btw) in the 70s that spring to mind:

1. The "Penguin" suit, as worn on stage once in Vegas in August '75. I liked the other versions of the Flying Suits, but this was too much. (n)

2. The Pontiac Suit, with puff sleeves and plunging curved shirt line. Just plain awful. (n)

3. His "turban" phase. There are pics on the galleries here of him in these ridiculous head-covering creations. (n)

4. The track suits, '76 - '77. Yes, he was putting on weight, but there were better ways to hide it. NO ONE, not even :king: looks good in a track suit! The footage of him backstage from the unreleased Elvis In Concert footage, and getting off the plane meeting Todd Slaughter. Ugh! (n)

Special mention: the white, terry-towelling hat he wore during his last vacation in Hawaii, '77. Nice combo with the blue track suit ... not. (n)

Jumpsuit Junkie
01-17-2007, 05:54 AM
Thank you for the correct spelling I wasn't sure, to much texting on my mobile rotting my brain away. I thought faux was the French term for "Fake"

nashville cat
01-17-2007, 06:50 AM
The canes.....why oh why did he carry the canes?????? And the capes onstage were one thing, but offstage - way over the top.

Also hate the shots with the cigars. I realize that's not an article of clothing, but it just didn't suit him.

Unchained Melody
01-17-2007, 07:38 AM
Matt, the picture you posted is an awesome shot I think. To me, the jacket looks awesome on Elvis (y)

And for the cigars and the canes he would use, he looked just as great with them imo !!! :notworthy :king:

CurlySusi
01-17-2007, 12:01 PM
I'm no fan of the jumpsuit at all.

I'd rather seen him in the Comeback Special style more often or in suits :P

But I guess that is because I don't like the style of the seventies.

I like him in some of the first jumpsuits. They aren't as tacky as the later ones.

But I guess in the seventies his style was highly modern. I don't like it...sorry...:unsure:

Diane
01-17-2007, 01:24 PM
I have to agree somewhat with CurlySusi, I wasn't all that fond of the 70's style of clothing either but I did like most of the jumpsuits and some of Elvis' street clothing I really liked as well, especially the suits with the pocket flaps on the jackets. I like pocket flaps...........:) I think only Elvis could carry off the jumpsuits, capes, canes and cigars without looking ridiculous.

Trev1
01-17-2007, 01:59 PM
I like the Jumpsuits, the one he wore for the Aloha From Hawaii concert was amazing (y)
He was a real classy dresser all though the 60s (check out some of the georgous shirts that some candid snaps capture him in, taken at the gates of Graceland). (y)
I do admit though towards the mid 70s he's dress sense went a bit awol :suprised: tho he hand'nt the shape to wear those figure-huging shirts that he did in the 60s :blink:
My favourite picture of him is on the cover of the 60s masters box set in that black suit - WOW :notworthy

vulcandude
01-17-2007, 07:57 PM
Ok, not that I'm particularly crazy about every outfit Elvis wore on stage, (like most of you, I have my favorites), but I think EVERYTHING looked great on him. Elvis was style. In many ways, he still is. But I have one question that's been nagging at me....on the CD "A Texan Trilogy" I think either right before or right after he sings "Love Me", he introduces himself as the NBC Peacock.....what was that all about? Was he referring to the outfit he was wearing? What? I have no clue....:hmm:

nashville cat
01-18-2007, 07:30 AM
Where did you see Elvis wearing capes off-stage?

Specifically, I'm referring to the Nixon meeting.

Unchained Melody
01-18-2007, 07:38 AM
But I have one question that's been nagging at me....on the CD "A Texan Trilogy" I think either right before or right after he sings "Love Me", he introduces himself as the NBC Peacock.....what was that all about? Was he referring to the outfit he was wearing? What? I have no clue....:hmm:

Most likley he was making fun of himself..because the suite has a big Peacock on it...;)

nashville cat
01-18-2007, 08:38 AM
In that case, my friend, I am afraid you are mis-informed. Elvis didn't wore a cape during his meeting with president Nixon, nor did he wore a purple suit made of pressed velvet.
I know that some books, like the one of Albert Goldman, stated this fact. Also the movie "When Elvis meet Nixon" is showing a purple suit with cape.

Are you saying he never wore capes offstage?

nashville cat
01-18-2007, 10:01 AM
Not that I know of. Or it must be when he was travelling from the hotel to the building to perform.
He also wore a cape during the press conference in the New York Hilton on June 9th, 1972 but that was also a kind of performance.

My understanding of the origins of the capes onstage is that he had first incorporated the capes in his personal wardrobe and then they found their way into his stage act. Mind you I can't show you photos, but I have read this from more than one source.

Regarding the Nixon meeting, if he had the coat draped over his shoulders, it would pretty easy for people to mistake it for a cape. In the photos of the event it is very hard to tell.

Dovey
01-18-2007, 12:41 PM
I have to agree somewhat with CurlySusi, I wasn't all that fond of the 70's style of clothing either but I did like most of the jumpsuits and some of Elvis' street clothing I really liked as well, especially the suits with the pocket flaps on the jackets. I like pocket flaps...........:) I think only Elvis could carry off the jumpsuits, capes, canes and cigars without looking ridiculous.

I think Elvis could of worn anything looked great!!!!!!!!!! Dovey ;)

Trelane P
01-18-2007, 02:39 PM
I loved his outfits of the 70's. That picture of him complete with flashlight meeting glen cambell is pure elvis fashion god. There are great pics in the elvis fashion book. My favourite in there was the red suede outfit that Cilla bought for him. Love the superfly coats, gypsy stage suit is fab.

Merry
01-18-2007, 06:37 PM
The canes.....why oh why did he carry the canes?????? And the capes onstage were one thing, but offstage - way over the top.

Also hate the shots with the cigars. I realize that's not an article of clothing, but it just didn't suit him.

Gosh, I don't smoke, and prefer people to not smoke around me....lol....but Elvis with a cigar was sexy! lol:clap: :hug: :blush:

Jess

Merry
01-18-2007, 06:52 PM
I think Elvis could of worn anything looked great!!!!!!!!!! Dovey ;)

Hi Dovey,

Elvis had a great sense of fashion, especially with the cut of his outfits and colour co-ordination. Timeless. With regard to the outfits of the 70's, I remember my hair and outfits from the 80's (huge shoulders).......now that was embarrassing...lol, although fashionable! :blink:

Jess

4THEHEART
01-19-2007, 01:18 PM
never saw, met or heard of another man who had the guts to feel free and brave about his styles in fashion as Elvis was..and he always looked greatest .Elvis was a great designer..however,those tailors love to credit themselves..;) :P

Merry
01-19-2007, 03:31 PM
never saw, met or heard of another man who had the guts to feel free and brave about his styles in fashion as Elvis was..and he always looked greatest .Elvis was a great designer..however,those tailors love to credit themselves..;) :P

One word:

"YEP"

Jess

stefankoch
01-19-2007, 06:20 PM
I dont know about you... but i dont think these trousers a very sexy:)

rick
01-20-2007, 03:17 AM
Originally Posted by 4THEHEART
never saw, met or heard of another man who had the guts to feel free and brave about his styles in fashion as Elvis was..and he always looked greatest

I'd agree with that
rick

memphis 77
01-20-2007, 08:39 AM
you wanna talk faux pas just take a look at the candid that was posted of E.P. wearing a red and white jacket, with paisley shirt[slim pikins in the closet], we should also put up a thread of great duds, how about the ensamble of the dark blue suit with checkered shirt[i believe its from chicago 72].

moody_ blue
01-21-2007, 03:10 PM
and i think elvis dont care
if someone say dont smoke cigars he just like them
whats wrong with that and it true evertything
he wear looks great on him

ELVIS FOREVER !!(y) (y)

MISSCLAWDY
01-22-2007, 03:41 AM
I really love the jacket in the pic you posted at the beginning! I'd like to have a copy of it, imagine that!! ;) I think Elvis had great style , he looked awesome basically all the time; the only thing I don't like is the turban he used to wear occasionally ; talking about his onstage outfit , I like jumpsuits, I think he's the only one who can wear them without looking ridicolous ; I don't like much the two piece suits , like the penguin for example , and the other one similar to the penguin but brown(I can't remember the name)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/blondfairy/ELVIS/Palace45.jpg
I like this jacket a lot!!!:king:

MISSCLAWDY
01-22-2007, 03:45 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/blondfairy/ELVIS/Belt20S1.jpg

and i like this outfit too!!!(y)

memphis 77
01-22-2007, 08:21 AM
yes leroy thanks i believe we are talking of the same outfit,[i don't know how to post it] but i always liked the shot of him wearing it, SHAVER had it in his small book I SHOT ELVIS [some other cool pics were of him in the red burning love suit[also in this book] a side profile shot, this is one of the best concert pics i have ever seen [just wish he didn't add highlight to the belt and his hair]. LEROY can you post the shot of him arriving in hawaii.

EP6873
01-23-2007, 12:28 AM
Hereby a picture of his arrival on Hawaii. This is the only picture I could find where you have a reasonably good view on the shirt. The picture you are referring to as being the "Red Burning Love" (official name = "Red Pinwheel") is a fake. In fact this suit is the 1972 "Blue Nail". The picture was colourized. Sean Shaver is widely known for playing these kind of tricks. This way he was able to sell pictures of "unknown jumpsuits". I have included the fake picture so you can check out if we are both talking about the same picture. I also included a real picture from the same show. In this case June 17th, 1972, Chicago evening performance.

Go Leroy! Didn't Elvis also wear that shirt from the helicopter arrival under a black coat I think in Chicago. Also what is the deal with this Sean Shaver? Is he doing this stuff as a joke? I've seen the photos of the blue "White Tapestry" and the odd chest pattern on the 1970 "Chain" jumpsuit. Are there a whole lot more? Thank you!!!

Jumpsuit Junkie
01-23-2007, 12:50 PM
It's a real shame that Shaver felt the need to lie and fake pictures as he has taken so many great shots (n)

Matt

memphis 77
01-23-2007, 01:01 PM
yes leroy that the photo, boy i sure never knew it was a fake, as he highlighted his hair in various pic books like our memories , i goofed on the name of the book , it's titled ELVIS IN FOCUS. Again thanks leroy.

Unchained Melody
01-23-2007, 04:37 PM
I agree Matt...Shaver don't seem like such a nice guy imo...

memphis 77
01-25-2007, 02:30 PM
I agree Matt...Shaver don't seem like such a nice guy imo...
it was he who took alot of risks to bring photos of E.P. to may fans , his books are works of art, he was always a gentlemen and honest at least to me and many others that i know. SO he had some fun with photos big deal, i would expect that answer from a convienent fan.

jadedragon61
01-26-2007, 02:15 AM
OK, that coat on the top of the page pushes it just a tad - but still, Elvis had style. I mean, check, for example, his clothes in Girls! Girls! Girls! - he's still cool as the day he put them on. The only bad clothes I can think of are from Spinout.

Jumpsuit Junkie
01-26-2007, 09:08 AM
He did "write" some good books, at least photo technical. But at what prices? And what he delivers never meet his promises.
What he did with pictures is not simply having fun with it but making money with it. If I write a book and stuff it with manipulated photo's and selling them for real then I'm misleading people. And that's what he did. Plain and simple. But because he has a "name" it's all right? I don't think so.

Agreed, just because you can, doesn't mean you have to!

memphis 77
01-26-2007, 09:33 AM
if you cant afford the books, don't buy em, he had to get paid for his work, it's just like anyother enterprise, remeber BOXCAR and the drab that they were selling and the prices they were asking at the time, yes i must agree that it was not nice to adverstise as new suits etc.. but if you knew that they were fakes why buy the **************** book, look i will defend SEAN SHAVER because he always gave the fans alot for what they paid, you have no idea what is involved in the projects that he published[he lost money on most of those labours of love], to publish the books he did way back were expensive and time consuming, he always had the fans best interest at hand, it's much cheaper and easy to print/publish books today especially b/w , this is an area i know well, so don't complain about the price etc if you don't know what you are talking about. I realize that you think yo know everthing LEROY god knows this board is your only source of fame , but take a moment before postin and THINK! GOD BLESS SEAN SHAVER and the like, if not for them and their love for E.P. we would not have those works of art that adorn our shelves.

Jumpsuit Junkie
01-26-2007, 04:12 PM
if you cant afford the books, don't buy em, he had to get paid for his work, it's just like anyother enterprise, remeber BOXCAR and the drab that they were selling and the prices they were asking at the time, yes i must agree that it was not nice to adverstise as new suits etc.. but if you knew that they were fakes why buy the **************** book, look i will defend SEAN SHAVER because he always gave the fans alot for what they paid, you have no idea what is involved in the projects that he published[he lost money on most of those labours of love], to publish the books he did way back were expensive and time consuming, he always had the fans best interest at hand, it's much cheaper and easy to print/publish books today especially b/w , this is an area i know well, so don't complain about the price etc if you don't know what you are talking about. I realize that you think yo know everthing LEROY god knows this board is your only source of fame , but take a moment before postin and THINK! GOD BLESS SEAN SHAVER and the like, if not for them and their love for E.P. we would not have those works of art that adorn our shelves.

:hmm: I don't think for one moment that Leroy is questioning Sean's labour of love or the quality of genuine photographs or books he has provided over the years! but lets look at the bigger picture, Sean has made money from FAKE pictures!!!! Has Sean needed to do this considering his back catalogue? I think the answer is NO!

Lets get one thing straight here, Leroy has a fantastic overall knowledge that can be questioned by few. I would rather look at Leroy's perspective having nothing to gain financially than someone who is known to have cheated when they didn't have to.:!:

Matt

memphis 77
01-26-2007, 06:50 PM
jumsuit thats your opinion and you are entitled to it[ isure will not ruin this thread and i want to keep with topic], some of the greatest wardrobe is from the later years , although the 2 piece suits were great in spring of 72, with paisley shirts. A great ensamble and one he tired of, i also liked the fact that he started the warm up suit trend, he had quite a few nice ones , one of the nicest was from RALP LAUREN in 76 [DARK BLUE with white emblem along the pant legs] the first from 73 was quite plain, but nice with the white shirt and inter chain that he wore. I would say the least favorite stuff was the leather mermaid suit and red and cream suit[ these were quite expensive but very **************** ugly i don't know why he would wear something like this especially when they just showed how bloated he was.

Wendy56
01-27-2007, 01:22 AM
Elvis made history in the world of fashion... He was very original and full of style. :cool:

Unchained Melody
01-27-2007, 03:01 PM
I agree with you there Memphis77..Elvis' fashion still was awesome as the 1970's moved along...The suites he wore offstage in 1975 and 1976 were awesome...the two tone suites i believe they're called...the track suites were ok, nothing special, but guess they were good for him with the weight his weight problem..

Jumpsuit Junkie
02-10-2007, 04:48 AM
Here are some more right (y) and wrong (y) IMHO

The hat and tracksuit are horrible, I'm aware that these were private shots and that Elvis was probably comfortable in tracksuits but they are so un-cool!

As for the Two Piece that looks cool (y)

Matt

Jumpsuit Junkie
02-10-2007, 04:54 AM
The less said about this ensamble the better. I had heard the story that a little girl had been ill and that Elvis wore the turban to cheer her up! I'm not sure if the story was true or not? Even if it was, Elvis must have had a great sense of humour to let someone take a photograph of him wearing it.

Matt

Diane
02-12-2007, 12:17 PM
I sure hope the story about Elvis wearing the turban to cheer up a sick little girl is right because the first time I saw the picture I was sure he had finally lost it. In my mind it is the single most awful thing he ever wore! Others outfits he wore may have been slightly over the top but he could always carry them off and look fantastic..........Diane

I noticed you changed your spelling of "Faux Pas" Matt - way to go! lol

elvis himselvis
02-12-2007, 01:17 PM
i remember i first saw that photo and i thought: o my god,what happened:P
Now i'm looking like a drama-king:lol:

Jumpsuit Junkie
02-14-2007, 02:05 AM
Harum Scarum :lmfao:

SeeSeeRider777
06-14-2007, 12:41 AM
Yeah only he could wear some of the loud things he wore and get away with it. If I wore one of those casual suits to work I would get fired.

Jumpsuit Junkie
06-23-2007, 11:36 AM
Here are a couple more do's and don'ts.................. you decide ;)

KPM
06-23-2007, 02:29 PM
So I think the pic on the right shows Elvis was way ahead of his time again!
"1st to wear a CD around his neck"-long before they were even developed!
:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

Diane
06-23-2007, 04:20 PM
I really like the scarf with the shirt on the picture to the left. I was never particularly a fan of his super-fly coats - some were okay.:D

Diane

Jumpsuit Junkie
06-23-2007, 06:52 PM
I really like the scarf with the shirt on the picture to the left. I was never particularly a fan of his super-fly coats - some were okay.:D

Diane

It was the big Medallion I was thinking of :blush:

Tommy
06-23-2007, 07:28 PM
Just speaking of wearing the right thing to work, a friend of mine (who is 28 years old) wore this to work the other day. He emailed me the photo and told me this is what he was wearing this particular day.(y)

KPM
06-23-2007, 07:53 PM
That is so cool!!(y)

riley
06-24-2007, 02:31 AM
Elvis always looked sexy. I'll bet he even looked sexy without any clothes at all:lol: :lol: ;)

Jumpsuit Junkie
06-24-2007, 03:36 AM
Just speaking of wearing the right thing to work, a friend of mine (who is 28 years old) wore this to work the other day. He emailed me the photo and told me this is what he was wearing this particular day.(y)

Pretty cool (y)

Diane
06-24-2007, 06:36 AM
Okay JJ, I noticed the Cd medallion Elvis was wearing in the right-hand photo but passed it over because it was already commented on by KPM and I was focused on clothes. :D

Diane

goodelvisgirl
06-24-2007, 07:02 AM
well elvis had style he wsn't affraid to be bold and stand out he wasn't an everyday hum drum man he dared to be different he dared to rock

Jumpsuit Junkie
06-24-2007, 10:42 AM
Okay JJ, I noticed the Cd medallion Elvis was wearing in the right-hand photo but passed it over because it was already commented on by KPM and I was focused on clothes. :D

Diane

Ahhh ok sorry, didn't see KPM's comment :doh:

Heres another cd on his chest!!

Diane
06-24-2007, 10:49 AM
Thanks for explaining the medallion in this last photo JJ. I always took it for a turquoise squash blossom necklace that the Native Americans make in the southern US. :'(

Diane

rhythmknights
06-24-2007, 08:33 PM
http://www.tcb-world.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15606&stc=1&thumb=1

I'll start with the cheeky number when Elvis met Jack Lord and his wife, the picture is great because they all look like they are having fun.

But that Jacket................ is it a little over the top?

Matt

The jacket is great (I wouldn't mind having one like it), but that hat that Marie is wearing - :hmm: :hmm:
Also love the outfit he's wearing in Diane's avatar!

rhythmknights
06-24-2007, 08:36 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/blondfairy/ELVIS/Belt20S1.jpg

and i like this outfit too!!!(y)

This is one great outfit. Elvis could get away with anything! Btw, do you have this photo a little clearer?:blush:

Tommy
06-25-2007, 09:10 AM
I have this photo posted in the Gallery, it's the way the photograher took the photo. I wish it was better also.

LianaKaralivanou
04-04-2008, 06:11 PM
I also found this pic;

KPM
04-04-2008, 06:17 PM
I also found this pic;

Jackie and Elvis had similar tastes in music- and clothes also.

rickb
04-04-2008, 07:45 PM
OK there were a few off days but Elvis in his prime in the 70s presented an iconic image
Rick

Lisarose
04-04-2008, 09:55 PM
KPM - Jackie and Elvis had similar tastes in music- and clothes also.

Yes they did, but which outfit came first?

. . .and speaking of the jumpsuits - Elvis set the style for a lot of groups in the 70s - this one times 5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlA-z0du1Pg

my boy
04-05-2008, 02:42 AM
Just love the jumpsuit era and the 1970s in general,Presley's sartorial elegance was fit for a King which he undoubtedly was.Elvis at the 1972 press conference for Aloha [Las Vegas Hilton] has got to be one of the coolest Elvis outfits ever! The cool white suit with black/blue pockets– flash shirt and with those brown & white check books he certainly was, MR.COOL, and no one could match that even today.

In addition,the 1974 Summer Festival when the King wore the white/tan leather 2-piece outfits – in the pics we have– again one supercool dude: jumpsuits like the Memphis 74',Mad Tiger,Peacock suit,Blue Rainbow,Cisco Kid,Orange Target,Aloha suit and the 2-piece outfits from 1971, were all amazing!

The fantastic ELVIS:JUMPSUITS ALL ACCESS BOOK/MAG is worth looking at if you love the suits. Some of the late 1970s outfits were a bit naff but on the whole I think he looked fantastic and that's what rock & roll is all about, the flash and showmanship in addition to some of the finest music ever made– adding up to a compelling & irresistible combination.

However,Elvis may have wore some real clunkers at times but the jacket he's wearing with Jack Lord & his wife looks fantastic maybe a little over the top but hey! It's the King.Presley's clothes were a bit gaudy but nothing less than interesting and there are many,many, better examples of his supercool outfits from all the era's 1950s, [Gold Lame]1960s, [68 comeback special,black leather] and 1970s – check out the Elvis in 75' book by Sandi Pichon,those blue and white suits are just gorgeous!

Finally, he still had the cool factor in the late 70s. The clothes Elvis chose to wear were amazing at the time and they still look fab today and they only enhance his legend and appeal. Todays stars probably have a few fashion faux pas in their history too.

utmom2008
04-05-2008, 01:35 PM
I sure hope the story about Elvis wearing the turban to cheer up a sick little girl is right because the first time I saw the picture I was sure he had finally lost it. In my mind it is the single most awful thing he ever wore!

I have to agree, and then agree again and finally completely! The absolute worst!(n)(n)

utmom2008
04-05-2008, 01:41 PM
Thanks for explaining the medallion in this last photo JJ. I always took it for a turquoise squash blossom necklace that the Native Americans make in the southern US. :'(

Diane

In the pic that you are referring to Diane that IS a turquoise squash blossom necklace. I have one almost identical to it. I got mine from a Native American family that was...as the old EAGLE'S song says....standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona.

utmom2008
04-05-2008, 01:43 PM
Elvis always looked sexy. I'll bet he even looked sexy without any clothes at all:lol: :lol: ;)

I sure would have loved the opportunity to find out!:lmfao::lmfao:

epmoodyblue
12-01-2008, 07:30 AM
no.........but only because of his weight problem in the last few years of his life...thats why the penguin suit -v neck ..made elvis look not so good shall we say.....def the 2 most ugliest suits ever.....even if elvis would of used that v neck thingy in lets say 72..still ugly 4 me ...that suit sucks big time(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)

WHITETIGERMAN
12-12-2008, 04:56 AM
I didn't care for the look of The Penguin Suit either.I thought he looked fantastic in his clothing.There's not much I thought he did not look good in.When I find something I did not care for....I'll post it.Nine times out of ten I loved what he wore.

GIORGIA
04-07-2010, 01:48 PM

WooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooW :supriced:!

Liamtcb
05-01-2010, 05:53 AM
Well I for one, Love the penguine suits, and would definatly wear them day to day if i could :blush: