PDA

View Full Version : What is your opinion on EPE

Donut
01-09-2007, 01:50 PM
I mean... I just checked Elvis.com to see if there was any video or information about Elvis?birthday and... they are selling the pictures of the medal ceremony !!! who would want to buy those pics of people 90% of fans don?t even know !!! :doh: And that?s not all, how can they sell ducks, plates, that vulgar jewellery... just name it.
I think they have lost perspective of things and they have completely forgotten what Elvis was about and what he achieved. For me all that is a lack of respect toward him and us. Do they think they will reach younger generations that way ? What will happen to them when the older fans (that I think they live off) are not here anymore ?
What do you all think about their promotion of Elvis ?

Diane
01-09-2007, 02:07 PM
I think they've lost perspective too Donut. Too much thrash for $$$$$ and very little quality. I can't understand it.............Diane

EP75
01-09-2007, 02:13 PM
Don;t worry. the days of EPE marketing EP on ducks are about over. Why? Because of one name SILLERMAN!! Need I say anymore. His plans for Graceland are to enhance the full experience, bring in double amount of yearly visitors than the current stuck in park numbers for the past 5 years average of 600,000 a year, and to stay mroe than a few hours but more of a couple days and to spend more money. His goal is to take it to a level on par with Disney World and Epcot Center. Give it time and a chance and you will be like me-OVERWHELMED with the changes soon to come.(y)

vulcandude
01-09-2007, 02:36 PM
Personally, aside from seeing Elvis bicycles for sale in the Elvis catalog I get, I really haven't seen anything that doesn't deserve Elvis' name or likeness on it. I always thought EPE has done a wonderful job keeping Elvis' memory alive.(y)

jak
01-09-2007, 02:48 PM
I have mixed feelings towards EPE.It's true they produce some tacky merchandise and allow Elvis' image to be used in unfavorable situations.On the other hand they are only doing what sells.Do you think there would be Elvis ducks if people didnt buy them?It's simple supply and demand.Dont kid yourself and be naive enough to think EPE is the guardian and champion of Elvis' legacy.They are business first and foremost.They exist only to make money.Im not saying that's wrong either.Just toss away your sentimental feelings when discussing EPE because they dont apply.I for one do not think the days of the duck are numbered.You can place it right next to your talking Elvis robot head.Then go eat a peanut butter Elvis candy bar.I've said it before just recently.Elvis the artist is dying a slow death everyday.His music is becoming less important to the "fans" all the time.
Jak

MauriceColgan
01-09-2007, 02:54 PM
Not so Jak, Elvis's music will always be important.

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/2331029/1/121962340 What would Elvis think of the photos on the link?

EPE licence a lot of crap, but also some very nice atifacts too. We buy the books and CDs.

Donut
01-09-2007, 03:00 PM
Well, that?s your opinion, but I haven?t seen so many crap sold off the name of such a legend. Oh, by the way the gold lame suit is for dogs.

Donut
01-09-2007, 03:02 PM

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/2331029/1/121962340 What would Elvis think of the photos on the link?

EPE licence a lot of crap, but also some very nice atifacts too. We buy the books and CDs.

That?s what I was talking about in the thread I started (n)

cprimm
01-09-2007, 03:17 PM
Why would I want to buy those pictures EPE has for sale? The only reason I might want to purchase one is if I or someone I knew were in one of those pictures. I thought they should also have a video of the ceremony. I did not see it on any news broadcasts last night, not even Entertainment Tonight. Lisa Marie or Priscilla were not there, so what did that mean to them. Since it wasn't presented until so long after his death, it was not newsworthy. The EPE endorsement of the Elvis Robot is so degrading.

presley
01-09-2007, 03:33 PM
I don't think priscilla and lisa should attend everything that happens with elvis, that just gives the fans something to bricker about in my opioion. There are people out there that buy this stuff, so thats why they sell the kind of stuff they do!

4THEHEART
01-09-2007, 03:34 PM
I'd better not start about EPE:mad: ..
and Jak,who do you think Elvis music is less important to??? I never consider those tourist as fans,who wears those silly costumes, watches that miserable impersonator while eating some food they think Elvis loved,only in their small brains.I also don't have an idea who is the Elvis they say they love..but that type of "fans" must be EPE's favourites..

cprimm
01-09-2007, 03:41 PM
What I was referring to is the fact that the presentation by the Army was not on the news: "The annual birthday proclamation ceremony on Graceland's front lawn presented by city, county and Graceland officials to proclaim Elvis Presley Day. On behalf of the US Army, members from the 95th DIV (IT) will present to the Presley Estate a special certificate and medal, earned but never received by Elvis, in recognition of his service with the army. The military group will also make a formal color guard presentation as part of the ceremony." The snide comment about Lisa Marie and Priscilla not being present was in reference to it not being on the news; i.e. if they were present, it would have made the news.

Dovey
01-09-2007, 04:06 PM
I'd better not start:mad: ..

Yep, me too, or my post will disapear !!!!! Maybe we no longer have freedom of speech ... makes me wonder!!! Guess it really does not matter anyway.... :angry: Nothing I can say that has not already been said many times. Dovey

MauriceColgan
01-09-2007, 04:22 PM
News of the Army at Graceland was covered on google.com Elvis news.

I have sent the photos to "Stars and Stripes".

Like I said EPE licence crap. But by not showing the tasteful stuff the picture is unbalanced.

Elvis recorded a lot of crap do we have to listen to it?
No we listen to what is good what we enjoy. There will always be people without much taste (n)

The 30th Anniversary will bring out the worst and the best.

Elvis plastic wigs are a disgrace to EPE Yet we have Elvis "insiders" saying nothing at the "Special" meetings.
We can all air our views on the messageboards, but will the suits take any notice?

Better we publicise our views in the media where the general public can see not all Elvis fans are so gullible.

But then we are accused of self promotion. LOL. I can live with that I'm a veteran Elvis fan(y)

thehillbillycat
01-09-2007, 04:23 PM
Don;t worry. the days of EPE marketing EP on ducks are about over. Why? Because of one name SILLERMAN!! Need I say anymore. His plans for Graceland are to enhance the full experience, bring in double amount of yearly visitors than the current stuck in park numbers for the past 5 years average of 600,000 a year, and to stay mroe than a few hours but more of a couple days and to spend more money. His goal is to take it to a level on par with Disney World and Epcot Center. Give it time and a chance and you will be like me-OVERWHELMED with the changes soon to come.(y)

I don't see that happening at all. He doesn't own Graceland. That is still Lisa's. She sold the right of his music, videos, name and etc. Not the car musuem or Graceland was part of that deal. He can suggust it to Lisa to see if she approves. That is all he can do.

jak
01-09-2007, 04:37 PM

Maurice
His music will always be important to certain people.It will always be important to me.I do however think you choose not to look at the reality of what's going on in the Elvis world.Just because you or I feel a certain way does not mean it's shared by a majority of others.This is 2007 not 1957.Elvis is no longer a trendsetter or a major culutural influence.The importance of Elvis' music is being felt less all the time.Just because we can buy tons of souvenirs and baubles with his image does not mean there is a great appreciation for his music.The casual tourist walking through the Graceland shops buys an Elvis key chain for token remembrance of their trip not an FTD for $30.How many people here have every FTD or almost all of them?I bet not many.Why are FTD's produced in such small quantities?I mean youre getting a never before heard concert or outtakes from the king.Why dont people go nuts when a new concert is released?The reason is that hardly anybody cares my friends.I dont care what kind of spin you want to use,but the fact is that most people dont get excited about "new" musical projects from Elvis.I know I seem negative many times but why should we kid ourselves with the fantasy that everyone loves Elvis and that the youth of today are discovering him in droves.EPE is marketing a vast array of products to an aging fanbase.I would bet the farm that most people who order from the EPE catalogue are older females around 45-70 years old.They love that stuff.Im not saying that to be hurtfull either.I just honestly believe it.
Jak

EP75
01-09-2007, 05:06 PM
I don't see that happening at all. He doesn't own Graceland. That is still Lisa's. She sold the right of his music, videos, name and etc. Not the car musuem or Graceland was part of that deal. He can suggust it to Lisa to see if she approves. That is all he can do.

Actually Lisa also sold 85% of EPE along with the naming rights to EP in the deal. That is why he was in Memphis back a year ago in February pointing out all of the things to change and add and what he wants. You don't go to someone else's home and tell them how to do their property unless you own a big stake of it, which is the case with FXS. Lisa has 15% and a big say so in what does and does not happen concerning the home. But EPE is no longer a privately ran company as it has been for the past 50 years. CKX owns EPE now basically. If FXS wants to he can tear down the plaza at any given time. It's his now. The only thing that he cannot touch is the mansion itself or do anything to it that Lisa says not to. That was part of the agreement.
And that is why I feel more comfortable as a long time fan for the future of both Graceland and EP.

RS277
01-09-2007, 11:04 PM
Colonel Parker has returned from the dead and regained the helm of EPE. Let the circus begin. (n)

MauriceColgan
01-10-2007, 02:05 AM
jak, Believe me I fully understand your approach but I feel you are misrepresenting mine.

I'm a pragmatist and do in fact live in the real world in 2007.

Very little news about Elvis passes me by that's because I search google and other search engines early every morning for Elvis news and usually see the stories Elvisnews.com uses days later:-)

Why wasn't this article discussed by all Elvis fans on ALL message boards ??
http://www.thebulletin.us/site/news.cfm?newsid=17683046&BRD=2737&PAG=461&dept_id=576361&rfi=6

There is enough excellent Elvis material to create a huge demand for his music just like what happened recently with Johnny Cash..did you ever see so much publicity as there was because of the Cash biog movie which although quite good was hyped beyond reason by the media.

I'm a fan of Ludwig Van Beethoven...his great music CDs rarely make the charts but you will be hearing his music forever. Same applies to Elvis.

Why are we All here............surely not just to complain about the tasteless and often disgraceful knicknacks licenced by EPE business people ?

The article above should be printed out and sent to ALL DJs......a few here in Ireland will be getting it today:-)

Jumpsuit Junkie
01-10-2007, 02:45 AM
As stated earlier in this thread EPE are a business and I'm pretty sure that they will have done some market research all be it through their own web site, EPE will cater to supply and demand and yes I also think this market is aimed at 45-70 year olds who will probably think that it is cute!!

EPE will jump on any band wagon that will generate $$$$ and who can blame them, they are first and foremost a business. Sillerman may well come in and make all sorts of grand plans, but he is a businessman, do you think he will stop the tacky merchandise? If it makes money then it will stay!

I can see a time in the future where the only music from Elvis' catalogue will be Elvis' 30 greatest hits or ELV1S no 1's because that is what the general Elvis fan will want to buy, they are not interested in buying FTD or Fort Baxter releases! I went into a store yesterday (same on the internet) and I could buy an Elvis CD for less than $5.00, these things sell despite what we might think of them.

Is Elvis as relevant to the youth of today? the simple answer is NO and why should he be, after all he past away nearly 30 years ago. The question should be is Elvis still relevant? and the answer is yes. I went on to Tesco supermarket web page and typed in Elvis in the CD section and was pleasantly surprised at the range they have (319 CD's) relating to Elvis, now more than ever the market is flooded with Elvis merchandise, if it doesn't sell then it wouldn't be there! We may not like the way in which Elvis is portrayed but if that is the way the new fans are introduced and then hooked that works for me.

I certainly don't think it is all doom and gloom, there are more serious Elvis sites and forums out there for people to connect and discuss things Elvis than ever before.

As for EPE and Sillerman, well it will be what it will be, I'm pretty sure that people will still be discussing what a shitty job they are doing in 30 years :P

MauriceColgan
01-10-2007, 03:01 AM
In Short. EPE = Business.

Elvis = Music.

Youth grow old and taste changes. Later as they look for the BEST in popular music they cannot help but discover Elvis.

It's a self generating cycle.

Our (Classical music loving) grandchildren are already introducing Elvis's music to their bright little friends. "The future looks bright ahead........"(y)

Elvis's voice is the easiest thing in the world to sell, we just need discerning and intelligent salespeople:-)

jak
01-10-2007, 03:25 AM
Part of the reason I think Elvis' music is overlooked is that he's become a character like Mickey Mouse.His musical influence is somewhat undermined by his global fame if that makes any sense.EPE doesnt control the music so it's not really fair to condem them for their actions.They only do what they do to survive.They market what they believe will appeal to a large number of people.Evidently they are doing a good job of giving the people what they want.One quick point though.The whole candy bar thing just makes me sick.Why open the door for stupid jokes and dumb comparison's to Elvis' eating habits.That is a good example of greed instead of respect for our guy.
Jak

Jumpsuit Junkie
01-10-2007, 03:56 AM
Part of the reason I think Elvis' music is overlooked is that he's become a character like Mickey Mouse.His musical influence is somewhat undermined by his global fame if that makes any sense.EPE doesnt control the music so it's not really fair to condem them for their actions.They only do what they do to survive.They market what they believe will appeal to a large number of people.Evidently they are doing a good job of giving the people what they want.One quick point though.The whole candy bar thing just makes me sick.Why open the door for stupid jokes and dumb comparison's to Elvis' eating habits.That is a good example of greed instead of respect for our guy.
Jak

I agree with you on two points here, the Image is bigger than the music! and yes EPE are thoughtless in the pursuit of the $$

Matt

MauriceColgan
01-10-2007, 04:01 AM
Jak

The candy bar is nothing in comparison to the grotesque fibre glass statue of Elvis they sell at a Graceland shop...I saw one here on our main street in Dublin Ireland advertising a Hotel Restaurant. Thankgoodness it was eventually removed before too many tourists photographed it.

A lot of fools poke fun at Ludwig Van Beethoven because of his deafness, cantankerous, arrogant and scruffy ways. But none of it matters when his music hits you like an avalanche!

"Copying Beethoven" will be in cinemas near you soon. He is not spared caricaturisation, but nevertheless the movie is well worth seeing to hear the all enveloping music...just like the often disparaged, "Love Me Tender".

Elvis's first movie had an enormous impact on teenagers not fully appreciated by many of the movie critics then, or since.

Kinga Piotrowska
01-10-2007, 04:01 AM
[QUOTE=elpfan;91799]I believe that part of the reason is because the image has been cheapened to the point of being more a joke, a caricature, than the image of a real man with real feelings and real talent.

Dear elpfan,
I really agree with you. Thank you for your opinion. Sincerely yours Kinga

Donut
01-10-2007, 06:46 AM
Believe me if I tell you that we here don?t even get the third part of all the crap EPE promotes or know what their business is all about but you can be sure everybody knows who he was and what is his place in music.
I have been working in a music shop since more than a decade now and I have been selling Elvis?cds like the first day and not only to people from 40
to 75, must be for something. That people probably won?t never go to Graceland or buy wigs and couldn?t care less for the circus they have created in USA. And not tell me that is the only way to sell because as someone said here Johny Cash film was a great way to promote again the singer, the film Ray too for Ray Charles and got to younger generations that won?t see them like a joke like thay have made with Elvis. Just compare those films with "Elvis and me" or "Elvis" miniseries, if I?m not wrong they even got some oscars....

jak
01-10-2007, 07:42 AM
Believe me if I tell you that we here don?t even get the third part of all the crap EPE promotes or know what their business is all about but you can be sure everybody knows who he was and what is his place in music.
I have been working in a music shop since more than a decade now and I have been selling Elvis?cds like the first day and not only to people from 40
to 75, must be for something. That people probably won?t never go to Graceland or buy wigs and couldn?t care less for the circus they have created in USA. And not tell me that is the only way to sell because as someone said here Johny Cash film was a great way to promote again the singer, the film Ray too for Ray Charles and got to younger generations that won?t see them like a joke like thay have made with Elvis. Just compare those films with "Elvis and me" or "Elvis" miniseries, if I?m not wrong they even got some oscars....

The thing about Elvis' image is that he is just a joke to many people.Guys like Cash and Ray Charles dont have this problem.They are not known for eating peanut butter and banana sandwiches or shooting out tv's.They get nothing but respect for their talent because they are only known as serious artists.Elvis made some great music in the 70's and performed some amazing concerts.Does anybody outside the fans know this?No he was a fat slob stuck in Vegas with a gun in his boot wacked out in drugs.Im tired of him being a punchline to bad jokes, but so much damage to his reputation has been done it's tough to overcome if you dont bother to seek out the truth.The crappy souvenirs and truly bad impersonator's are not helping either.Elvis doesnt get the respect he deserves here in his own country and that's the truth.
Jak

Donut
01-10-2007, 08:16 AM
The thing about Elvis' image is that he is just a joke to many people.Guys like Cash and Ray Charles dont have this problem.They are not known for eating peanut butter and banana sandwiches or shooting out tv's.They get nothing but respect for their talent because they are only known as serious artists.Elvis made some great music in the 70's and performed some amazing concerts.Does anybody outside the fans know this?No he was a fat slob stuck in Vegas with a gun in his boot wacked out in drugs.Im tired of him being a punchline to bad jokes, but so much damage to his reputation has been done it's tough to overcome if you dont bother to seek out the truth.The crappy souvenirs and truly bad impersonator's are not helping either.Elvis doesnt get the respect he deserves here in his own country and that's the truth.
Jak

Now I can hear you Jak. So who is in charge or responsible of keeping Elvis image?
I think is EPE and they sure don?t do their work right and don?t help to destroy the joke image. If they are so experienced marketing people they should know how to do it. But maybe it was meant to be, after all you know who started managing EPE after Elvis died ... and that person the only thing that has made is promoting herself and helping to show only his flaws.
Cash and Ray were addicted to drugs too (different kinds) but they are known for his music because their promotion is made with respect.
If you want to be respected you have to show you deserve being respected and that is just what the people at EPE are denying to Elvis since the beggining and now.

Diane
01-10-2007, 08:23 AM
I agree that Elvis doesn't get the respect he deserves because of all the tacky merchandise, bad impersonators extra - I don't think any of us has any doubt in that respect.

But I do tend to disagree that the majority of the trashy stuff is purchased mostly by women in the 45 to 70 age group as most of us are not the "little old grey-haired lady" types that was so common in our parents' time and that the mentality that went with it is not so prevalent in this day and age.

I think possibly that a lot of the thrash is also bought by parents for their kids who view them as toys and also by teenagers and twenty year olds who think these items are cool or funky.

Nevertheless, whomever buys these things are not doing our man a favor that's for sure.........

jak
01-10-2007, 08:34 AM
Now I can hear you Jak. So who is in charge or responsible of keeping Elvis image?
I think is EPE and they sure don?t do their work right and don?t help to destroy the joke image. If they are so experienced marketing people they should know how to do it. But maybe it was meant to be, after all you know who started managing EPE after Elvis died ... and that person the only thing that has made is promoting herself and helping to show only his flaws.
Cash and Ray were addicted to drugs too (different kinds) but they are known for his music because their promotion is made with respect.
If you want to be respected you have to show you deserve being respected and that is just what the people at EPE are denying to Elvis since the beggining and now.

Donut
Dont forget that EPE didnt crack down on unlicensed products much later after Elvis died.Much of the damage had already been done.They of course are not helping out like they should.They sell lots of crap but the crap was a lot worse 20 years ago.Elvis' sweat etc.The shops across from Graceland were horrendous back then.I remember them well.Once again they only produce what people buy.Blaming EPE is easy but what about the fans who buy it?Elvis has a long history of being a merchandising monster right back into the 50's.It's good money and always has been.Another factor is that EPE has nothing to do with his music.People like Ernst and others have tried to release good music packages that showcase his artistry while EPE goes for the candy bar money at the same time.They are not working together beacuse they are two different entities.Look at Hendrix,Doors or the Beatles.Nothing but respect because the general public has never latched onto stereotypes.Elvis on the other hand is a magnet for them.From the jumpsuits,cheeseburgers,his speech and even his death is made fun of.Have you ever seen Eminem's video where he shows Elvis on the toilet eating a huge sandwich?That's what the young people get to see.To be blunt that really pisses me off.I think his image has bounced back somewhat in recent years but I believe the passage of time is just going to keep pushing him farther in the background for most people.
Jak

MauriceColgan
01-10-2007, 08:47 AM
I don't think anyone can speak for all the people when it comes to Elvis. People are not THAT stupid to equate Elvis's music with the crap EPE Licence.

Many times over the years other great artists have spoken about the impact Elvis's magnificent voice had on them, and Tens of millions were listening!!! If Paul McCarney says Elvis was THE man, do you think people think of Candy bars?

I think Elvis is respected far more than many here think. Often young reporters are in awe when we are talking about him because they know Elvis's real stature in the world.

jak
01-10-2007, 09:08 AM
I don't think anyone can speak for all the people when it comes to Elvis. People are not THAT stupid to equate Elvis's music with the crap EPE Licence.

Many times over the years other great artists have spoken about the impact Elvis's magnificent voice had on them, and Tens of millions were listening!!! If Paul McCarney says Elvis was THE man, do you think people think of Candy bars?

I think Elvis is respected far more than many here think. Often young reporters are in awe when we are talking about him because they know Elvis's real stature in the world.

Most great artists believe the "he died when he got drafted" theory.The candy bars and other stuff just sticks in people's minds.Maurice I find your optimism refreshing.However nobody here is gonna tell me Elvis is cool or hip or popular with the majority of young people today.That is a joke.How about the rest of you?What do you think?You know many young fans under 20?I sure dont.
Jak

MauriceColgan
01-10-2007, 10:41 AM
jak, OK we are supermen, WE know all Elvis's shortcomings and still love his music.

Why would young people be any different? I know quite a few young Elvis fans, how THEY survived the mockery of their peers is a miracle:lol:

I don't need support.

T_J
01-10-2007, 11:34 AM
Most great artists believe the "he died when he got drafted" theory.The candy bars and other stuff just sticks in people's minds.Maurice I find your optimism refreshing.However nobody here is gonna tell me Elvis is cool or hip or popular with the majority of young people today.That is a joke.How about the rest of you?What do you think?You know many young fans under 20?I sure dont.
Jak

True, there aren't a vast number of fans under 20, but teenagers for the most part like to follow what is popular. However, the very point you make was being made 20 years ago. The fan mags were discussing ways of getting young people on board, as there was concern that Elvis didn't seem to have a teen following. Here's where Maurice's point about people eventually finding good music comes in. Maybe Elvis didn't have a huge number of teen fans in the 80s, but he sure has a lot of 30-something fans now right?? EPE tells us that half the people through the Graceland doors every year are 30 or under. So somewhere along the way, a lot of these people grew to respect Elvis as their musical tastes broadened and they became less worried about peer pressure.

patricia
01-10-2007, 04:21 PM
EPE won`t get any respect from me I`m afraid.
They have tried to shut down anyone else selling Elvis merchandise branding it tacky yet they have sold exactly the same things.
The truth is that they don`t like anyone else making money if it isn`t them.

MauriceColgan
01-10-2007, 11:57 PM
True, there aren't a vast number of fans under 20, but teenagers for the most part like to follow what is popular. However, the very point you make was being made 20 years ago. The fan mags were discussing ways of getting young people on board, as there was concern that Elvis didn't seem to have a teen following. Here's where Maurice's point about people eventually finding good music comes in. Maybe Elvis didn't have a huge number of teen fans in the 80s, but he sure has a lot of 30-something fans now right?? EPE tells us that half the people through the Graceland doors every year are 30 or under. So somewhere along the way, a lot of these people grew to respect Elvis as their musical tastes broadened and they became less worried about peer pressure.

I guess T_J, Has hit the nail on the head. That has been my experience too.
You will have to ask yourself why YOU are here being youngsters when most of you became Elvis fans.

Flogging EPE is like flogging a dead horse, but go ahead if it makes you feel any better.

I'll continue to be optimistic about Elvis's music always reaching REAL music lovers.

Our own 46 year old son wasn't exactly an Elvis fanatic in his teens when he was buying a lot of Albums of various artists. But he has quite an Elvis collection now...which he bought himslf:) And what does he buy his kids? Why Beethoven and Elvis of course(y)

Awickedreigndrop
01-11-2007, 12:12 AM
All you hear from EPE is "Trying to reach the younger generation" Well, to me Elvis was doing this without all the Elvis ducks, doggie gold suits, and high priced foam flip flops. It's was his music and charisma that was alluring them in the first place.

I as for one, was born four years after his death and I still became a huge fan before EPE was pushing these pricy gemmicks.

All I'm trying to say is, they should just let the man's music do the talking.

MauriceColgan
01-11-2007, 12:58 AM
All the Elvis dolls and stuff were around in the 50s:)

We teenagers interested in his music back then just ignored them.

But I guess once you are fixated on the artifacts tasteless and good it's difficult to let go.

Coincidently as I was typing "Heartbreak Hotel" by Elvis came on the TV behind me.

I heard a verse, then turned to see the Elvis Robot on BBC1 News for the 4th time!

Jumpsuit Junkie
01-11-2007, 01:10 AM
I was In the music store HMV in the UK and there are dozens of DVD's CD's Calenders* , my point being if they have such a wide selection of all this stuff there must be a market out there for people to warrant the space they are giving!

The teens of today are the thoughtful buyers of tomorrow.

*(The calendars picture quality this year is very poor)

Matt

MauriceColgan
01-11-2007, 01:19 AM
I agree the Calender's photos were not the best.

But they were all sold in HMV here.......... and our newsagents:)

There are some great photos printed on canvas for sale in shop windows on our main street. They had a large stock and there's only a couple left...same with the Elvis CDs and books.

I keep repeating it, but Elvis's music is quite safe. The cream rises to the top. Decade after decade.

"Smile and the world smiles with you, cry and you cry alone"!

Donut
01-11-2007, 06:10 AM
I see almost everyone here agree that is EPE who needs all that junk not Elvis.

T_J
01-11-2007, 09:11 AM
All you hear from EPE is "Trying to reach the younger generation" Well, to me Elvis was doing this without all the Elvis ducks, doggie gold suits, and high priced foam flip flops. It's was his music and charisma that was alluring them in the first place.

I as for one, was born four years after his death and I still became a huge fan before EPE was pushing these pricy gemmicks.

All I'm trying to say is, they should just let the man's music do the talking.

Yes, but let's get some perspective here and some balance in the argument. Firstly, EPE don't control the music, so their hands are a little tied on that front. Secondly, it's not like all EPE does is produce ducks and novelty items. If that were the case, I would be slamming them as much as anyone else. Are we forgetting the 68 and Aloha box sets, and Elvis by the Presleys? Three very worthwhile and brilliantly executed projects. An edited version of the latter was shown on prime time on one of the biggest tv channels in the UK and I believe was shown in the US too in a similar fashion. Added to that, high profile and positive features were included in the print media and online about the show. Now, the novelty items do nothing for me, but it's only existing fans who are even remotely aware of them. That broadcast may have been on the radar of the audience EPE are targetting, but the Elvis Duck sure as hell wasn't.
Then let's remember the excellent Elvis Lives show from a few years back, where Elvis was hailed as the greatest entertainer of all time by serious A-list performers, young and old - even modern artists such as Norah Jones and Britney. All in all, a great success.

EPE is not perfect as an organisation by any means, but sometimes people seem to completely ignore the positive moves and focus entirely on the negatives. Let's also remember that the much talked about Elvis Duck was simply part of an existing series of collectables, not a unique EPE idea only involving Elvis. There are ducks for the main players in the NBA and NHL, as well as most of the really significant figures from music, film and even politics, eg James Brown, Kiss, Charlie Chaplin, James Dean and even Maurice's beloved Beethoven. I can't see the appeal of the series, but it's no suprise that Elvis is included alongside other legends.

The latest announcement is that EPE has organised Elvis' own area on Youtube, which is one of the most popular websites among the young now. Another positive move that EPE haters will be inclined to ignore in favour of more duck jibes.

MISSCLAWDY
01-11-2007, 09:28 AM
Yes , but I still think the ducks and the doggie gold lame are a shame.....if I was his daughter I would have NEVER allowed the selling of such items, NEVER!!! I'd rather be homeless , no matter how money I can get from them!

MauriceColgan
01-11-2007, 10:00 AM
T_J, Oh no not a Beethoven duck! :)

Bad enough his fantastic music was used on TV ads decades ago. Nevertheless it still fills Concert halls around the world today.

We have an EPE Catalogue somewhere in the house, to be fair only about 10% is actually tasteless stuff.

Yes in recent years we have had some extraordinary good Elvis related publicity but sadly some people only see the shadows and not the silver linings.

Meanwhile in Vienna................Beeth........er Elvis is doing very nicely indeed. See
http://vienna.metblogs.com/archives/2005/03/elvis_shop.phtml

Jumpsuit Junkie
01-11-2007, 02:30 PM
Yes, but let's get some perspective here and some balance in the argument. Firstly, EPE don't control the music, so their hands are a little tied on that front. Secondly, it's not like all EPE does is produce ducks and novelty items. If that were the case, I would be slamming them as much as anyone else. Are we forgetting the 68 and Aloha box sets, and Elvis by the Presleys? Three very worthwhile and brilliantly executed projects. An edited version of the latter was shown on prime time on one of the biggest tv channels in the UK and I believe was shown in the US too in a similar fashion. Added to that, high profile and positive features were included in the print media and online about the show. Now, the novelty items do nothing for me, but it's only existing fans who are even remotely aware of them. That broadcast may have been on the radar of the audience EPE are targetting, but the Elvis Duck sure as hell wasn't.
Then let's remember the excellent Elvis Lives show from a few years back, where Elvis was hailed as the greatest entertainer of all time by serious A-list performers, young and old - even modern artists such as Norah Jones and Britney. All in all, a great success.

EPE is not perfect as an organisation by any means, but sometimes people seem to completely ignore the positive moves and focus entirely on the negatives. Let's also remember that the much talked about Elvis Duck was simply part of an existing series of collectables, not a unique EPE idea only involving Elvis. There are ducks for the main players in the NBA and NHL, as well as most of the really significant figures from music, film and even politics, eg James Brown, Kiss, Charlie Chaplin, James Dean and even Maurice's beloved Beethoven. I can't see the appeal of the series, but it's no suprise that Elvis is included alongside other legends.

The latest announcement is that EPE has organised Elvis' own area on Youtube, which is one of the most popular websites among the young now. Another positive move that EPE haters will be inclined to ignore in favour of more duck jibes.

I will agree with 98% of what you have said...... however there are instances where EPE do not cater to the fans, I realise EPE are limited in what they own but given the right persuasion other projects which the fans scream out for could be undertaken e.g. "Elvis on Tour", "Elvis in Concert" (which they DO own) they may have their reasons some of which I agree. I'm sure that it would benefit them financially!

On the whole EPE cater for a wider fan base and don't aim for a niche market, which kind of makes sense in the world of finance. The question to answer here is who are the people who have disposable income...... Teens and twentysomethings who are without commitment. When I was younger (teens) I would buy all sorts of crap (most of which is still in my Mums loft) as I have got older and had children I have had to make selective purchases and been more decerning and paid the premium.

I don't want to get to bogged down in EPE politics because on the whole they don't derserve all the crap they get, they just can't please everyone :P

T_J
01-11-2007, 07:26 PM
They don't own Elvis on Tour, so we can't really blame them for that. As for Elvis in Concert, that's perhaps the most divisive issue among fans - some enthusiastically supporting a release and others thinking it would be a terrible move. As far as I can tell, Lisa doesn't want it released and why would she?