PDA

View Full Version : Elvis and Nixon

presley
01-05-2007, 05:41 PM
Nixon library will bring the meeting between the president and the King to life

By Sushma Subramanian

The Orange County Register

(MCT)

SANTA ANA, Calif. - President Richard Nixon wore a tasteful gray suit. Elvis Presley sported well-coifed sideburns, a flamboyant black-velvet suit, boots, a wing-collared white shirt and a gold, diamond-studded belt.

The two getups were worn during the pair's legendary secret get-together at the Oval Office in 1970 - a bizarre presidential meeting that has since been the subject of a book and movie.

The clothing will be displayed at the Richard Nixon Library & Birthplace beginning Monday, which would have been Elvis' 72nd birthday. Nixon's presidential assistant Bud Krogh, who set up the historic meeting and later wrote a book about it, will speak about the event.

The outfits haven't been together since the famous meeting, library spokesman Sandy Quinn said. Elvis' was kept at Graceland. Nixon's was held by the National Archives.

The rock star-president meeting was held just as each was coping with professional challenges. Nixon was grappling with the Vietnam War, which had made him unpopular among youth. Presley was fixated on toppling the Beatles, who had stolen his spotlight and whom he said were promoting a drug culture.

The photo of the two shaking hands in the Oval Office is the most requested item at the National Archives.

The exhibit is a departure from some of the library's more serious displays. It will help the library fulfill one of its goals, "to show that U.S. history is not only important but provocative and fun," Timothy Naftali, who was chosen in April as the library's first federal director, said.

On the morning of Dec. 21, 1970, Presley personally delivered a five-page letter, written on American Airlines stationary, to the northwest gate of the White House to request a meeting with Nixon.

Presley, then 35, requested to be appointed a "federal agent-at-large" in the war on drugs, according to the National Archives.

"I have done an in-depth study of drug abuse and Communist brainwashing techniques, and I am right in the middle of the whole thing where I can and will do the most good," he wrote.

Nixon aide Dwight Chapin called Krogh.

"Dwight told me, `The King is here,'" Krogh, then 31 and a presidential assistant, said. "I looked at the president's schedule and said there weren't any kings on his schedule.

He said: `No, not just any two-bit king, the King of Rock. He's here!'"

Krogh arranged the meeting and made a list of talking points for Nixon, including an anti-drug message for young people.

Within two hours, Presley and his bodyguards were ushered inside the White House.

Presley gave Nixon a World War II commemorative Colt .45-caliber pistol with seven silver bullets, a gift Krogh accepted on the president's behalf since guns were not allowed in the Oval Office.

Nixon gave Elvis a specially prepared badge from the Bureau of Narcotic and Dangerous Drugs.

Both presents will also be on display.

The two spoke about Elvis' daughter, Lisa Marie, and the Beatles' popularity. Elvis told the president the rock group had made disparaging remarks about America.

Some have speculated that Elvis was under the influence of drugs during the meeting.

"He was scratching himself during the meeting, but he said he had a rash that was bothering him for a couple days so I didn't think anything of it," Krogh said. "I never had any idea that he had a prescription-drug problem."

Merry
01-05-2007, 10:21 PM
.Presley was fixated on toppling the Beatles, who had stolen his spotlight and whom he said were promoting a drug culture.

:hmm: The above statement, by the author of this article is incorrect, isn't? Elvis was always happy for other entertainers, and felt there was always room for others. I guess she didn't source her information, just went on something that had already been written?

Have a great day!
Jess

JDD
01-05-2007, 10:35 PM
.Presley was fixated on toppling the Beatles, who had stolen his spotlight and whom he said were promoting a drug culture.

:hmm: The above statement, by the author of this article is incorrect, isn't? Elvis was always happy for other entertainers, and felt there was always room for others. I guess she didn't source her information, just went on something that had already been written?

Have a great day!
Jess

Plus by December 1970 the Beatles no longer exsisted except in history. Paul pulled the plug in April, by the Time Elvis was off to the White House , the Beatles were suing each other over who owned what, nothing left to topple.

Merry
01-05-2007, 11:54 PM
Plus by December 1970 the Beatles no longer exsisted except in history. Paul pulled the plug in April, by the Time Elvis was off to the White House , the Beatles were suing each other over who owned what, nothing left to topple.

Should there be "a done thing" with something like this?

I was sent this article this morning, with the author's email address.

I don't want to cause hassles, it is just that my thought process as a fan, is that isn't about time that some of these rumours and or untruths were asked to be retracted or corrected, or AT LEAST pointed out? :!: :'(

What do others think?

Jess

Jumpsuit Junkie
01-06-2007, 01:55 AM
There are not many people who can go to the White House and knock on the door and ask to see the president! let alone actually get to see him (y)

How cool is that.

Matt

Merry
01-06-2007, 02:19 AM
One thing that I find most disillusioning about the Nixon visit was that it was only 4 months after that spectacular summer in Vegas - TTWII - he barely looked the same. The drugs seemed to have taken over from there.[/QUOTE]

Hi there,

With all due respect, may I offer another point of view?

Perhaps Elvis was tired from his travels, and didn't sleep well in the Motel, where he stayed. I know I don't sleep well when I go away. So he simply looked tired?

Wishing you a nice night, (y)

Kind wishes,
Jess

Merry
01-06-2007, 02:20 AM
There are not many people who can go to the White House and knock on the door and ask to see the president! let alone actually get to see him (y)

How cool is that.

Matt

Very true, and very cool, Matt! :king:

Suspicious Minds
01-06-2007, 03:25 AM
I thought Elvis went with Sonny and Red West to meet President Nixon without the Colonel's knowledge of the surprise visit to the Whitehouse.
On this photo it shows the Colonel behind Elvis if I am right?

Merry
01-06-2007, 03:42 AM
I thought Elvis went with Sonny and Red West to meet President Nixon without the Colonel's knowledge of the surprise visit to the Whitehouse.

I don't know who it is, but I believe you are right re the Colonel not being involved.

:newyear:

Jess

jak
01-06-2007, 03:47 AM

That is not the Colonel in the photo.That photo was taken as Elvis left the clinic after getting his blood test for the paternity suit he was involved in.
The visit to meet Nixon has become a legendary, fabled Elvis moment.He probably was the only guy that could pull it of.On one hand though I think it shows his self indulgence which was one of his problems.I believe Elvis was sincere in his motivation for getting that badge but the irony is amazing.His problem was not being able to look in a mirror and admit his own problem.
Jak

Larry Dickman
01-06-2007, 03:49 AM
I think that looks more like Col. Klink than Col. Tom Parker.

Dovey
01-06-2007, 04:48 AM
Next monday, on the day Elvis would be 72 and the day before Nixon would be 94, the Richard Nixon Presidential Library and Museum in California will open an expo that is dedicated to the famous visit from Elvis to the president. During the opening, Egil Krogh, formal assistant at the white house, will give a lecture about the day where he was an eye-witness.

The expo will show the famous picture of the two celebrities. This picture has made it to the most demanded picture from the national archives.Source: Elvis Matters (http://www.elvismatters.be/) / Updated: Jan 5, 2007 Dovey

presley
01-06-2007, 07:50 AM
I thought it was elvis alone first to mett the Nixon,and than jerry met him there and stayed with him till sonny came to get him. I read that in Jerry's book.

Suspicious Minds
01-06-2007, 09:32 AM

Can anyone tell me who is the older person behind Elvis and the other 2 we see. The 2 could be Sonny and Red.:doh:

jak
01-06-2007, 11:33 AM
Can anyone tell me who is the older person behind Elvis and the other 2 we see. The 2 could be Sonny and Red.:doh:

The two men are Elvis' attorney's who were handling the paternity suit.Hooksrtaten and Harry Fain.I believe the other person is Charlie Hodge.Sonny West and Gigi Gamble were also present when these photos were taken at the Brentwood Laboratories.The new Paternity Suit book/dvd contains the entire series of photos.
Jak

Joe Car
01-06-2007, 02:34 PM
Guys, EP never mentioned the Beatles in his letter to Nixon, that is a myth that's been going on for years. As somebody else mentioned, the Beatles were split up by Dec 1970 anyway.

Joe Car
01-06-2007, 02:36 PM
I thought it was elvis alone first to mett the Nixon,and than jerry met him there and stayed with him till sonny came to get him. I read that in Jerry's book.

You're correct, EP met him alone at first, then he asked if Nixon would meet Jerry and Sonny.

Trelane P
01-06-2007, 04:34 PM
Elvis wanted the badge. I believe that was his only reason for going and he would have said anything to get it. I think the whole Beatles thing is blown way out of proportion.

Merry
01-06-2007, 07:04 PM
Elvis wanted the badge. I believe that was his only reason for going and he would have said anything to get it. I think the whole Beatles thing is blown way out of proportion.

Hi Trelane,

With all due respect, Elvis wrote in his letter to President Nixon that he was concerned about today's youth, plus other concerns of the time (as we know).

In my opinion, we can only surmise, from observing Elvis as a man, from what he did do for others for years and years, (Giving to Charity, giving generous gifts to those less fortunate, holidays for his employees to help revitalize marriages, his love of his fans, people, animals....list goes on, we know all of this) that his intentions were honourable. He did have good intentions! :D This was how Elvis was, thinking of others. Again, respectfully, what you say, would be going against his disposition.

The badge was nice, of course it was!

Have a great day, just my thoughts (y)

Jess

Joe Car
01-07-2007, 11:40 AM
Hi Trelane,

With all due respect, Elvis wrote in his letter to President Nixon that he was concerned about today's youth, plus other concerns of the time (as we know).

In my opinion, we can only surmise, from observing Elvis as a man, from what he did do for others for years and years, (Giving to Charity, giving generous gifts to those less fortunate, holidays for his employees to help revitalize marriages, his love of his fans, people, animals....list goes on, we know all of this) that his intentions were honourable. He did have good intentions! :D This was how Elvis was, thinking of others. Again, respectfully, what you say, would be going against his disposition.

The badge was nice, of course it was!

Have a great day, just my thoughts (y)

Jess

Well said Jess, his intentions were honourable. He was also right on with his assessment of America's youth at the time.

Merry
01-07-2007, 04:26 PM
Guys, EP never mentioned the Beatles in his letter to Nixon, that is a myth that's been going on for years. As somebody else mentioned, the Beatles were split up by Dec 1970 anyway.

Me again.......hi.....(y)

Joe, I was thinking, that Elvis was concerned re the music of the era, which was perceived (?) as promoting street drugs; hence the tie in, with the Beatles' music. What do you think?

Jess

emsteph
01-08-2007, 11:25 PM
Check out the movie "Elvis Meets Nixon" if you get the chance. Details the event quite nicely, but with a sense of humour.