PDA

View Full Version : U.s. Army To Present Medal To Epe On 8th January, 2007

Brian Quinn
12-21-2006, 08:43 AM
U.S. Army Will Present Elvis Estate With Long-Lost Medal

The U.S. Army is going to give Elvis Presley a medal as a birthday present. Representatives from the Army will present the Elvis estate with a special certificate and medal, which Elvis earned but never received. It's in recognition of his Army service during the Cold War. The presentation will come complete with a formal color guard ceremony and will be held on Graceland's front lawn on Jan. 8, Presley's birthday.

Brian :D (y)

Sonny
12-21-2006, 09:33 AM
Cool news!

Thanks,

Sonny

MauriceColgan
12-21-2006, 09:44 AM
Thanks Brian, What a fine tribute that will be for Elvis fans. If only he was here to witness the ceremony at his beloved Graceland.

A beautiful life-sized bronze statue of Sergeant Elvis Presley, depicted in his pristine uniform as reported in the "Stars and Stripes" US Army newspaper on 16th August 2002, must be back on the cards now:-)?

Unchained Melody
12-21-2006, 01:18 PM
Very cool news :cool: .

Your right Maurice, Elvis would have been mighty proud if this ! (y)

Thanks Brian

Suspicious Minds
12-22-2006, 02:01 AM
Why does Elvis get a medal 30 years after his death?
What about the unsung heroes who didn't get a medal?
Like those who went through the Vietnam war. Sorry guys.

Unchained Melody
12-22-2006, 02:04 AM
Well, from what I can understand, it says Elvis "Earned" this but for some unknown reason, never received it !

brad

Merry
12-22-2006, 02:38 AM
Thanks Brian,

Jess

12-22-2006, 07:28 AM
Why does Elvis get a medal 30 years after his death?
What about the unsung heroes who didn't get a medal?
Like those who went through the Vietnam war. Sorry guys.

It's good publicity for them.

But you are entirely correct.

MauriceColgan
12-22-2006, 07:59 AM
"Unsung Heroes
Nominate someone you think deserves recognition!"

From the "Stars and Stripes" US Army website. I guess someone nominated Elvis? Elvis fan, Soldier, EPE, Sillerman:-)

The Audie Murphy statue took decades. But if there is a will there is a way. The Veterans of forgotten wars have a mighty tool now...................Sergeant Elvis Presley.

Diane
12-22-2006, 09:58 AM
I think every little bit helps, not just for Elvis but for other forgotten soldiers.
Maybe he will become a symbol for those who were passed by??

sackofnachos
12-22-2006, 10:58 AM
It took fifty years for the guys who landed at D-Day to get their Silver or Bronze Stars (my grandfather was one of them).

Sometimes, someone will be approved for a medal or something, and maybe the paperwork gets lost in bureaucracy.

However, in this case, it is because the medal is the fairly new (2002) Cold War Service Medal, for any American who served in the Armed Forces from 1945-1991. Obviously, this includes Elvis, and just as obviously, he was gone many years before the inception of this medal came into being.

It is not authorized for wear by active duty personnel, meaning it is not issued by the Department of Defense, as other medals. "Commemorative" and "unofficial" are the words that pop up most often.

The certificate, however, IS officially issued by the SecDef.

http://www.coldwarveterans.com/why_a_cold_war_medal.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_War_Victory_Medal

Suspicious Minds
12-22-2006, 02:34 PM
Why take so long? Is it because Elvis was in the army for 2 years or something else he earned? Am I right in saying that Elvis just done basic training for 2 years?

sackofnachos
12-23-2006, 12:40 AM
It is because he served in the Army during the years between 1945-1991 (the Cold War years).

The medal wasn't even created until 2002.

Click on the links above, should make it pretty clear.

PAUL26205
01-28-2007, 06:21 AM
Thanks for info Brian;and further info from Sackofnachos for posting @ #11.
I hope that this makes the army and the legion of Elvis fans feel better for this.
Why can't someone in power release the 'If I Can Dream' song - every year on Elvis birthday.......until this message gets into the thick skulls of all the governments in the world. sorry guys.

jadedragon61
01-29-2007, 08:42 AM
Mostly the Army busily co-opting anything in it's favor. Good PR for them. Anyway, EP always liked medals, awards, and such hoop-la, so he'd be happy with it, I guess.